3 Across in a 2005 Hyundai Sonata

Notaclue

Has anyone managed this? I have a friend who is currently pg with her 3rd child. Originally they planned on getting a van, but it's not in the cards at this point. She currently has a 6 year old (not sure his exact stats, but he's close to 50lbs and not sure how tall) riding in a GN and also has a 4 year old (pretty much the same size as his brother) also in a GN. She bought a Maxi Cosi Mico for the new baby. Obviously these seats aren't going to fit in her back seat, but I was wondering if we could manage if she got one Radian? She would want to get a Radian 80 since her boys are so big, but she really does't want to get *2* of them. Any ideas or suggestions? Any different seats we should be looking at?

ADS
I'm sorry it's taken so long for you to get a reply. I hope you haven't given up on us.

She could try the Radian for the new little one but they aren't always a great newborn fit. Has she tried to puzzle her current seats yet? If not she should give them a go. If her infant seat is too wide she could try a Baby Trend infant seat as they are rather narrow.

Here is our successful 3 across thread. I haven't got the time toi search through it at the moment but will try to get back w/ you soon to help search that thread. In the mean time, if you open the thread there will be a feature to top right that will allow you to search that specific thread for the vehicle in question.

Notaclue

Thanks for the response. HappyMommy, her seat was Manufactured in 3/23/10, so guessing it's ok?

We tried to play with her current seats, and there is NO way they are going to fit. She wants to keep the 2 older kids harnessed, so I suggested a radian, but there are no local stores to buy one, so we can't play with them before she buys. I'll search through that thread once the kids go to sleep tonight and I can actually concentrate lol.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Is th 6 yo booster ready?
She can almost certainly do turbo, RF titan, radian
She could sub any narrow booster for the turbo, (parkway, big kid, etc) and possibly a cheaper narrow harnessed seat for the radian.
I was able to do a 3 across involveing a frontier, but that isn't really cheaper than a radian. IF the 4 and 6 yo are at the 50 lb mark, the maestro is out....unless they release the 65 lb version soon. But....is the kid has at aleast 7-8 pounds to go, I'd consider...if they're both over 42-43, lbs, I might not.

If they can put the infant in a RF radian inthe middle, they might be able to keep slightly bigger seats on the sides. Maybe even a GN, but that's less likely. But an apex probably, which has a 65 limit. It all deepends on how much she can spend also.

Whats the 4 yo in now? maybe we could use it, in the 3 across.

Notaclue

Both of the older kids are in a Graco Nautilus. They are both very close to 50lbs (her 4 year old is the same size as his 6 year old brother lol). She originally had the boys in HBB but when she met me she decided to harness them again, especially since the 4 yo still goes to sleep in the car quite often. I am almost positive she wants to keep them both harnessed as long as possible, especially in such a small car.

I will mention to her the idea of putting the baby in a convertible, but I am not sure if she is going to want to go that route. I think she really wanted the infant seat at least for a little while. Also there's the issue that her dh is VERY tall and has to drive with the seat all of the way back (he's 6'4") so the RF seat will need to go behind the passenger seat of the car instead of being in the middle.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Both of the older kids are in a Graco Nautilus. They are both very close to 50lbs (her 4 year old is the same size as his 6 year old brother lol). She originally had the boys in HBB but when she met me she decided to harness them again, especially since the 4 yo still goes to sleep in the car quite often. I am almost positive she wants to keep them both harnessed as long as possible, especially in such a small car.

I will mention to her the idea of putting the baby in a convertible, but I am not sure if she is going to want to go that route. I think she really wanted the infant seat at least for a little while. Also there's the issue that her dh is VERY tall and has to drive with the seat all of the way back (he's 6'4") so the RF seat will need to go behind the passenger seat of the car instead of being in the middle.

I say this with all respect, but honestly? They are probably going to have to give up some of their wants. The car is MISERABLE to get ANY 3 across in. They are going to have to find WHATEVER they can that will work, and are certainly going to have to compromise on a number of things. I'd say that they have a shot at getting turbo, radian, infant seat to work...theyll need to try it out.

Good luck to them, let us know what they get to work.

myliljunebugs

A RF Radian will work behind the driver seat (that is where I had mine) with the front seat all the way back, but not for a newborn since it is very upright. I have gotten a RF'ing Scenera (behind driver seat) FF'ing Radian (center) and several boosters (passenger side). What she could do is go to a baby store like BRU (even though they don't carry the Radian). I had a Nautilus and just can't see it making a 3 across even with just one, that backseat sucks rocks. :(

Ltaylor

I do NOT have a Sonata but I do have a 2005 Nissan Sentra which is about the same size as the Sonata (if not just a bit smaller) and have done 3 across with a Cosco HBB, EFTA and a Snugride without base (although im pretty sure that if we tugged and pulled and manipulated more the base would have fit).

HBB on passenger outboard, EFTA center FF and the snugride drivers outboard.
It worked and all of them had a solid install.

From my recent experience, the new Frontier 85 is a bit more narrow than the Graco Nautilus is because of the low seat and the way the cup holders are placed.
It might be possible that they could go with a convertible seat now (they will eventually have to go through this all over again once baby outgrows the bucket seat), a HBB for the 6yro and a more narrow seat for the 4yro.

Im thinking a seat liek the Frontier85 or Radian, Myride65 or Coccoro or the Evenflo Triumph Advance (all sit up higher) and a Graco Turbo booster.

When I had the 3 seats installed the seat of the HBB puzzled in under the EFTA because of the way the EFTA sits up higher. The Snugride also puzzled in as well. Like i said, it was tight but it worked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC