Frontier 85...my issues w/it

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
All in all, I LOVE this seat...but I do have a few issues.

#1...the plastic panel in the back that covers the harness WILL.NOT.STAY.ON.

#2...the belly pad does NOT.STAY.ON. I thought Britax had learned and started making belly pads with smaller openings so that the only way get them off was to remove the crotch buckle. Apparently they don't do that anymore. :rolleyes:

#3...because of #2 and not having the belly pad in place, the crotch buckle is forever 'flipping' over when I fish it out from under their butts...and I have to untwist it before buckling...EACH.AND.EVERY.TIME.:rolleyes:

Otherwise, the seat rocks my world. LOL We just came home from a vacation...7hrs in the car each way. The boys slept comfortably with no head slump. :love: And the cup holders were a big hit. LOL

ADS

Mommy0608

We don't use the belly pad, but we do have a problem with the crotch buckle twisting every single time. :rolleyes:

With the cover on the back, I had to line it up just right and shove it in so it clicked into place. Once I did that, it didn't slip off any more.

DD loves her FR85 too! We're leaving tomorrow for an 18 hour drive... I'm sure DD will be comfy. She sleeps well in this seat. :thumbsup:

njmommy

we love ours too.

my issue is with adjusting the straps. between the HUGS pads & gray plastic pieces, it takes me longer to adjust DS. were used to the triumph which didnt have either.

im also used to a lever/crank to loosen/tighten the straps, so the pull strap is awkward for me.

Last edited:

my2boys0508

CPS Technician
When the seat first arrived the back panel fell off and after installing it I realized I hadn't put it back on. So, I went out and put it on and re-installed. It does fall off easily, but once installed it becomes a non-issue.

Ds took the belly pad off on his own. I have noticed as you mentioned, that the crotch buckle tends to fall back into the seat and I have to dig under his butt to get it out. We have the same issue with the Nauti. That's *my* only issue with it so far.

Dh is complaining about the padding on the back of the seat not staying in place. He buckled Daniel in yesterday and the padding bunched up on him. He complained for a couple minutes and said he likes the Regent better and wants it back in his car instead of the FR. ?? I was shocked because I am head over heels in love with th FR and would love if I never had to deal with the Regent again!

We are going on vaca in June. A 15 hr. drive each way. I am very excited to take his seat on the trip!

wyldblueangel

With the cover on the back, I had to line it up just right and shove it in so it clicked into place. Once I did that, it didn't slip off any more.

Same here. I haven't had the belly pad come off yet, just need to remember to use it. I like it because it lessens the chance of me pinching ODS. yikes! As for having to dig out the strap I hadn't really noticed but it doesn't seem as bad as the cosco scenera was!

We love this seat!! The cup holders sold me!! haha

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
The panel is fine if I don't move the seat (I don't usually). But last night, I moved both seats and both back panels fell off. One snapped back on pretty easy...but I fought the other for about 20min trying to get it to stay on long enough to get the seat installed. Does anyone know if there is a purpose to them? I'm guessing it's so the harness doesn't get smashed into the vehicle seat back and allows easier adjusting.

Y'all are lucky if you haven't had your belly pads fall off. Both mine came off after the first use. I need to stitch them up and make the opening smaller. It would make fishing out the buckle easier...plus my littler twin is pl'ing, so I'm sure he'd appreciate the extra protection. ;) LOL

jenfrogmom

I don't understand why Britax woud even send out a product where the back panel falls off. It really ticks me off! I spent how much money and the stupid back panel can't even stay on!!! CRAZY! Sorry, just had to vent! Otherwise, we like the seat, too! Oh, we took the belly pad off on the 85 and the regular FR because I was sick of picking it off the garage floor everytime ds got out of the seat.

Angela

The first thing we did when we took it out of the box was to remove the belly pad. They just get in the way too much.

HEVY

I don't have a problem with the belly pad, the crotch strap does turn though. The problem I have, as I mentioned before, is the petechiae coming from the harness on the neck.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
So am the only one that actually LIKES the belly pads?! LOL When they don't fall off everytime they get in/out, they are wonderful!! Much easier to fish out the belly pad from under their butt, then just the buckle.

steph_s

I am not feeling the frontier 85 love just as I wasn't feeling the old frontier love. I kind of expected more from the new frontier. My kids have sensory issues and those shoulder straps are way too close together for their comfort. I'm not even sure why they are so close together because the seat is made for bigger kids and you would think it would be spaced like the Regent's straps which are far more comfortable. I find my straps twist a lot and it doesn't have the leg support like the Regent does. I have measured and while it looks similar it's the shape of the seat that changes how comfortable the seat is for bigger kids. I find in the car I get head slump which is sort of a non issue because I typically drive the van, but if I had to go on a long trip with the frontier I wouldn't. My kids are all in their Regents (have 4 Regents right now) and I will probably cry when they expire!

BTW: I haven't had any issues with the back falling off mine.

asch884

I havent had these problems. the back of my seat did fall off when I first got it but It snaped back on and hasnt fallen off it since. The belly pad never comes off of my seat either. I like the belly pad so much easier to get the buckle out. My straps dont twist at all. I love this seat and my son gets a big smile on his face every time he gets in the seat. He loves the cup holders and he likes to sit cross leged in the seat. He can get it in it by himself to (due to low muscle tone he doesnt have alot of upper body strength and couldnt get in his marathon by himself) He also has no head slump in this seat and has really bad head slump in the graco nauti.

Kaede's_Mom

I have the same problem with the belly pad coming off and having to fish it all out on the 80. I cuss it at least twice a week :mad:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Kelsey...I can sew yours up a little if you want to stop by sometime. I'm going to sew up both of mine...provided I can still find them. LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC