LATCH weight limits for Prius?

dragonfly75

Does anyone know the LATCH weight limits for a Prius? I'm going to be installing a new car seat in my MIL's Prius for my 37-pound 3 year old and am wondering if the limits on 40lbs or 48lbs for LATCH.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What seat is it? Since Toyota defers to the car seat manufacturer, it depends what seat you have. :)

Also, remember that when possible logistically, the center is the safest position, and in the Prius you cannot use LATCH in the center.

U

Unregistered

I use LATCH in the center of my 2007 Prius. Why not? It seems to work fine. I want to know if I can use the LATCH system to secure the booster seat when my daughter (7yo, 55 lbs or so)buckles with the seatbelt. I consulted the manual extensively for my daughter's Graco Nautilus seat and it said to check the weight limits for my car's LATCH system! A bit frustrating! I want to know she is as safe as I can make her.

Thank you for input!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The center of the Prius doesn't have a set of lower anchors. If you use one from each side you are not getting the full strength they are designed for, because Toyota doesn't mean for them to be used that way, and you also won't have the standard spacing (which many seats require.)

The Nautilus allows securing with lower anchors to keep from having to buckle each time, but you can only do so if you put the seat on one of the side seating positions since you don't have a set of lower anchors for center. Weight limit doesn't come into play for booster use.

LATCH in booster mode isn't a safety benefit for the child here- only for whoever is riding in the car when the seat is empty. If you don't put the seat on the side and use lower anchors you'll need to make sure she buckles the seat each time she gets out so it isn't left unsecured in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC