Get rid of a MR?

NannyMom

*this is not a swap thread*

I have a MR in SIL's car for Sofi. I have a TFP in my car for Sofi, and a MR for babyS (also used by Friend's DD sometimes- she's 36LBS, just turned 3). I want a CA to keep Sofi RF longer in my car. She's 30-32 pounds now. I know someone that would buy the MR. SIL could use the CA until Sofi hits 35 pounds (I'm sure after 4- in Sept), then I'll take the CA and SIL can have her FF in the TFP or a GN (I have 2 in the closet from J).

What do you think?

ADS

HappyMommy

Is there a reason why you want to get rid of the MR other than to fund the CA? like for example: is Sofi about to outgrow it by height? The reason I ask is that if you want to continue to RF Sofi past her 4th birthday and if there is still a lot of room RF heightwise in the MR then for RFing purposes, it would be better to get rid of the TFP since she will outgrow the TFP RFing sooner than the MR. So if you want to RF past 4, I would sell the TFP, keep the MR in SIL's car so she can continue to RF in SIL's car and buy a CA to replace the TFP in your car.

NannyMom

The MR won't fit in the center of my van (where I want her to ride- for safety as well as convenience). The TFP fits there, but the MR cup holders make it 1 inch too wide, and won't allow the outboard seats to flip. I will keep the MR outboard for BabyS, and friend's DD. We tried Sofi outboard and BabyS center before, and it just messed with the flow of loading and unloading kids.

SIL says the MR is difficult for her to tighten when Sofi's wearing a jacket (and I know it is easier w/o jackets). She's afraid to loosen because she's afraid she won't be able to properly tighten. She doesn't have much arm strength, and she had neck surgery in Jan, not sure if that still play into it.

Sofi has a few inches above her head in the MR. But she can't use it in my van. The CA does fit center, I test installed it last weekend at BRU. I've been told the CA adjuster is easier. I plan to take Sofi to BRU, install the seat, and give it some tries with and w/o her jacket. I figured the CA would help SIL with Sofi until she can FF in Sept. I'm pretty sure I'm ok with her FF in other cars, because she rides in SIL, and Grandparents' cars each about once/ week. With me, she in and out of the car alot. I want her RF in my car as long as she can.

Here is the current set up:
Grandma- RF MA
Grandpa- RF TF
DH- RF EFTA
SIL- RF MR
Me- RF TF

After Sept/ when she turns FF (I'm letting the driver have some say in RF/FF after she turns 4):
Grandma- FF TF (sits low for her car)
Grandpa- FF GN (has SUV)
DH- FF GN or FF EFTA
SIL- FF TFP or FF GN or FF EFTA
ME- RF CA

I might be selling the MA when she gets to 35, but I might keep it as a back up RF seat. I thought about selling that now instead, but I know 2 people that would be happy to buy my MR. One of them really needs it, because her baby is thisclose to outgrowing the infant seat. So, why not sell it now when I have a local buyer?

Or maybe I should sell the TF and put the MR in Grandma or Grandpa's car. Hmmm. I'll have to ask them if they want her FF when she's 4, or if they'll keep her RF. I'm assuming they want her FF.... but they haven't complained about her RF, so maybe if I mention I prefer she be RF they'll keep her that way.

NannyMom

So, Grandma and Grandpa don't care if she's RF or FF in their cars.

The TF I can use FF. The MA I have reservations about, so it is RF only. I can use the MR FF too. So...it seems to make most sense to sell the MA. But I have a weird love for my MA and can't see parting with it. But in Grandpa's CRV, we have to recline the seatback to loosen the harness. Maybe I'll sell the TF and put the MR in his car.

HappyMommy

If I were you, I would definitely sell the MA when she outgrows it RF. I really don't like the issues that came up with it FF in Canadian tests, but that's just me.
If grandma and grandpa are willing to keep her RF, I would find a seat that would allow her to continue to RF with grandma and grandpa. I just think RF is always safer. Maybe you could sell the MA + a MR and buy 2 CAs?
About SIL, it's not very safe to have Sofi wearing a jacket under the harness anyway so I would suggest to her to put Sofi in the seat without the jacket on, tighten the harness and then put the jacket over her sort of like a blanket, if you see what I mean.

NannyMom

It's fine to wear a jacket in the carseat. It's not a puffy coat, it's a thin fleece ;) I've told SIL she can just take the jacket off.

I think I'm going to try the MR in grandpa's car. If it works, I'll sell the TF. If it doesn't work, I'll give him the MA, Grandma the the MR, and sell the TF.

Maybe I can loan my Titan to the friend needed a new seat until I decide about the MR.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC