Thyroid Problems?

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I was just wondering if anyone has or has ever had thyroid problems? I just found out that I do...and I am having a hard time understanding how it will affect nursing and other aspects of my day to day life...just thought Id check here

ADS

gwenvet

I am assuming you have HYPO-throidism which is more common and less serious, although I'm not an MD, but a vet. If you don't go on Thyroxin to get your levels up to normal then you may have lethargy, weight gain, dry skin, possible hair loss or at least slow growing, slow heart rate, potential infertility and I guess it could affect nursing, although I really don't know this. This is just a sampling of symptoms. Going on replacement thyroid medication is not really a big deal, as it just replaces what your body isn't producing enough of. The endocrine system is a major regulating system in your body and low (or high) levels can really affect a LOT of body functions. Best of luck.

broken4u05

when my mom was younger she was loosing a lot of weight and at one time was just way way too small. They got that fixed but later on like 30 years later she could not seem to loose weight and always feels out of breath (she thought was because of her weight) we now it went the other way. The doctor is having her take med and have to try a few to get the right match and amount but she is already feeling better and has lost some weight. It can be a big problem if they do not find out about it but because you know you just have to have regular blood tests and meds. At least that is what my mom has told me. About nursing i am not sure. My mom did not have me yet when she had the big problems. but i think because you know about it now unless the meds the doctor gives you says no than i think it should be fine.
I have to be checked offten just to be sure for me.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
yea my mom has been struggling with hyper/hypo thyroid for years now :( my main concern is nursing though, and since she didnt nurse...she has no clue

Last edited:
I'd love to have a definite answer for you, but I'm on the opposite spectrum with hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, fertility and breastfeeding can be affected in both hypo- and hyper-. It is one of those things that is different for every person, though, so no telling really if you'll ever notice a difference at all. I breastfed all six of my children while on levothyroxine, had an adequate (but wouldn't call it "ample" after the initial newborn month or two) supply, and did notice some unexplainable fluctuations in supply that never seemed to compromise any of my babies' health. Just the type of situation where I felt/knew I was low on a given day, so I drank more fluids, maybe some Mother's Milk Tea if I felt it was necessary (or I was in the mood for a cuppa ;) ), and above all, nursed the baby more often.

Honestly, I would try not to worry about it too much, while remaining watchful for any noticeable changes. Just try not to obsess, you know? Most likely, if you do notice a problem with your supply, you'll catch it in time to reverse it quickly. Babies are amazingly effective at regulating our supplies in spite of our bodies' quirks, when they are allowed access to the breast according to *their* cues, and not the clock on the wall! ;)

Best of luck to you; I hope you're able to get your thyroid issues under control quickly and with little or no disruption to your nursing relationship!

bbartlettnfld

I have Hypothryroidism, but it was medically induced because I was sooo hyperthroid that I was in very real danger of a stroke at 16 yrs of age due to blood pressure that was wayyy in the danger zone.. I was non-stop! I couldn't sit for more than 30mins at a time and basically had to run everywhere like Forrest Gump! I also couldn't sleep at all and had a terrible time trying to complete my grade 12 final exams.. Then it was finally diagnosed and I was given the choice between sugrey to remove parts of my thryoid gland or have Radio-active iodine treatment:eek: .. I didn't want the scar so I took the drink!

I'm not sure about how it will affect nursing, I do know that the medication is transfered in breastmilk but babies are able to some how elliminate the thyroid hormones they do not need. I know it is true for hypothyroidism as I was pregnant and nursed for two yrs while hypothryoid!

If it wasn't for the complete danger to my heart I would love to have the figure that I had while hyperthyroid! Family friends actually told me to go off my medication so I would be skinny again! If only it would work that way!:D

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can you tell me more about your mom's symptoms? Last fall, my mom suddenly became out of breath, very tired, and gained 20 lbs. This all happened after she started using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea (due to obesity) and a trip where she caught a common cold. She's had her heart checked out thoroughly, her lungs checked out, the CPAP machine is calibrated correctly, and the doctors are telling my mom to lose weight. Well, of course! But because of her new symptoms, she can't even walk to the end of her driveway any more, let alone think about losing weight. She knows she needs to lose weight and I think this has finally scared her some.

Anyway, do you know what blood tests need to be run to test for thyroid problems? I know most doctors run a standard test which isn't the right one--there's a more detailed one that should be run, but I can't remember what it's called.

Thanks!

o_mom

Hyper is harder to treat while breastfeeding. Here is some good info:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/thyroid/index.html

Some of the tests and scans use radioactive drugs and you would need to pump right after and wait for the radioactivity to decay before using the milk (believe me, this is one of the very, very few things you have to do that for). It is best to ask for the shortest half-life radioisotope available or skip it all together if possible (obviously weighing the risks of not doing the scan). The anti-thyroid medications usually prescribed appear to be AAP approved and one of the older ones, I believe is considered safer than the newer ones.

disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just someone with thyroid disease in the family!

Morganthe

Can you tell me more about your mom's symptoms? Last fall, my mom suddenly became out of breath, very tired, and gained 20 lbs. This all happened after she started using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea (due to obesity) and a trip where she caught a common cold. She's had her heart checked out thoroughly, her lungs checked out, the CPAP machine is calibrated correctly, and the doctors are telling my mom to lose weight. Well, of course! But because of her new symptoms, she can't even walk to the end of her driveway any more, let alone think about losing weight. She knows she needs to lose weight and I think this has finally scared her some.

Anyway, do you know what blood tests need to be run to test for thyroid problems? I know most doctors run a standard test which isn't the right one--there's a more detailed one that should be run, but I can't remember what it's called.

Thanks!

I know you said your mom's heart was checked out, but did they look hard for irregular heart beat? It can be very difficult to diagnose since it can occur in specific situations ie: exercise, standing up suddenly, emotional stress, etc. Women's heart problems present differently to men (which have been more studied) and the medical establishment has only figured that out within the last 3-4 years.
It took the drs years (10+) to determine what was wrong with my mother, but what you're describing is her to a T, except the obesity. She was on the other end very tall with an underactive thyroid (didn't affect her nursing me though ;) ) But she had difficulty breathing and would just fade out. It got worse as she aged and the time they finally caught it, she had almost passed out just walking into the hospital clinic for an unrelated appointment. Very scary, especially since she's always been an active person. :(

Once she had a state-of-the art pacemaker installed (Same as VP Cheney's :D ), she's had it a lot easier. Still has to regulate stress which my father just does not seem to get it through his head that my 70 something year old mother is not bulletproof :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the body is like a car in this situation, unless the mechanic can reproduce the problem at the examination time, it will be passed off as either imaginary or not enough importance to worry about :(

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'll have to ask whether they put her on a monitor or not. I don't remember her telling me about it. Thanks for the idea!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member

Thanks!

my mom had hyper (for years, she just tried to push through it without doctors) and lost her hair, her memory, alot of weight and was so weak that she couldnt get up off the floor without help. she really did look sick. hers was obvious....now she is hypo because they "killed" her thyroid.

Morganthe

I'll have to ask whether they put her on a monitor or not. I don't remember her telling me about it. Thanks for the idea!

That's the thing, my mom HAD been put on various monitors and they still couldn't diagnose the problem. And this is a top of the line medical center where the physcians really cared to dig!
I don't think they ever did the stress test type -- walking on the treadmill, speeding up, and watching the monitor at the same time. Her heart rate would look normal everywhere else. But when the stress was increased, it would start skipping beats and become arrythmic (sp?). They thought for the longest time she was asthmatic because she couldn't get enough oxygen to keep her going.

The pace maker isn't making her heart beat, just keeping it a steady rythm. She goes in and has it checked every 3 months to make sure her heart hasn't changed patterns. And she has to watch her weight very carefully to not gain because the arrythmia & thyroid issues have affected her metabolism and ability to exercise like walking. She has no problems with gaited horses though :D

good luck with your mother. It's really difficult not being mobile, not breathing properly, and not comfort eating to attempt to get the mood up. Oh and it's winter, so that REALLY doesn't help the spirits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC