Question 1999 Toyota Corolla rear facing convertible seat AND infant seat?

L

Lee Ann

I research from this site ALL the time, but have never posted here :)
I'm hoping someone can help me. I read through all the 'successful 3 across installs' posts, and the closest I can come to finding is a 2003 Corolla, which is a different body model then mine. The model I have was from 99 - 02.
Here is my situation:
My son will be 17 months when the baby is born (in June), I would like to keep him rear facing as long as I can. He's currently 24lbs, and 31-32", with a long (but not super long) torso. He still has at least another 5-6" left on his seats RF.
The seats I currently own: Safety 1st True Fit, Safety 1st Air Protect, and a Graco SnugRide Infant bucket seat with base.
Currently I have him in either convertible seat RF behind the passenger seat. My hubby is 6'4" and has to have the drivers seat all the way or at least 99% of the way back to be able to safely drive.
I am open to purchasing new seats if need be (I've heard Radians fit well?), it's cheaper then buying a new car!
I'm hoping someone can recommend to me how I can fit a convertible (any type sold in Canada!) and an infant bucket seat (I would really like to use the base, and if possible keep the Graco SnugRide since it fits my stroller etc. but will change if I have to) into the backseat of my little car!
I really really don't want to turn my little guy FF, and my hubby agrees and is willing to change vehicles, but it would be a lot better (financially!) if we could just keep this car :)
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and help!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had an '03..so again, different seating.

My best suggestion would be to put your toddler near bolt upright behind the passenger seat in something more narrow--a MyRide or Radian or..?? Then a KeyFit in the centre at 45 degrees should mesh between the seats so it doesn't interfere.. If you find it does--try the infant seat outboard and a bolt upright convertible centre.

You'll probably want to find a good baby boutique that will let you try a few combinations out in your car.

-Nicole.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Complete Air is almost as narrow as a Radian, and able to be very upright. I'd use the Complete Air, with a Keyfit center, or vice versa (however they fit better.)

In my experience the older model is actually easier for these situations because it's a tidge wider and the seats outboard are not as contoured. :thumbsup:

L

Lee Ann

Thanks for the prompt replies :)
The Complete Air is only 1" wider then the radian, but I'm not sure where that width is (the bottom, middle or top), maybe a Radian would work better?
Is the KeyFit really that much smaller then the Graco SnugRide?
How far is 'bolt upright'? Will that be safe for a 17 month old?
Do you think a Radian would be just that much smaller that I could continue to use the SnugRide? I would much rather replace the convertible for one that can be used even longer then replace a bucket seat that is going to grown out of rapidly....DS was out of it by 5.5 months.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You would ideally want to try both the CA and the Radian with your SnugRide and if one works, you have your answer as to which seat you'll need. I would try the MyRide, too, because of the way it's designed. The KeyFit is definitely smaller than the SnugRide, but if you can make this work then it's a non-issue :)

"Bolt upright" would be the most upright allowed by the manufacturer--in the case of the seats we're discussing, that would be 30 degrees. And yes, this is absolutely safe for your 17 month old and is actually a safer angle than the 45 degrees your infant will require once born. Your 17 month old is not as risk of airway obstruction, unless there's a medical problem that makes this a concern?

Here's a picture of my daughter (who was quite comfortable) extremely upright in the Recaro Como:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_sGxlrIbeZiE/SECIS4GNDuI/AAAAAAAACxY/_hISOlHFiOw/s512/IMG_0433.jpg
...she is probably more upright than 30 degrees there, admittedly, but is was our best option for transport at that time.. (four kids in a 5 seater..)

If it really comes down to the infant seat beside convertible still being too wide, you can definitely consider starting your infant out in an appropriate from-newborn convertible that fits side by side another seat.. that way you still have 6+ years until expiry and will get full use of the seat, which you would've had to have bought eventually anyways.

Keep in mind that to try to get this to work--put your first outboard seat in, and then close the door against the side of it. Go into the car through the other side and push it right up to the door, along the beltpath a far as it can go outboard. Then install your centre seat, keeping in mind that you need to get both seats in there tightly independent of one another.

-Nicole.

L

Lee Ann

Hopefully I can try it out with the CA and the SnugRide this afternoon while DS sleeps. I wont be able to try a RA until later in the week when Hubby is home from work since I have to remove DS carseat to go to the store and try it out.
No medical conditions, it's just that the manuals always seem to stress the 45 degree angle as very important. I think I have him at about 35-40 degrees (maybe) right now....not sure.
I really hope I can make a bucket seat work....I'm a sucker for the convenience!
Thanks so much! I'll post back with my results :)

U

Unregistered

Success! I think... I have one more way to try the combo of carseats I have, but I'm waaaay too tired after an hour of arranging carseats!
I put the CA in the centre at what I think is a 30 degree angle, then the SnugRide outboard passenger at 45 degrees (it has a handy little dial to tell you when it's there!). They are pretty smushed together, but when I pull one away from the other neither of them moves more then 1" at the belt path.
I don't know how comfy my hubby will be driving, but the car is my main vehicle, he only drives to church etc. or if we take a trip. I can sit comfortably (belly and all!) in the driver's seat. The passenger seat room leaves a little to be desired, but the odd time I will be sitting there I'm pretty sure I'll manage.
Is it ok that the carseats are mashed together (but independently solid)?

My next attempt is going to be the TF behind the drivers seat (it seems to take up less back to front space then the CA even though they are at the same angle), and see if it leaves more or less driver leg space then the CA in the middle.

I did twist both the centre and side belt stalks 3 times each. Is it ok to have both stalks twisted? The CA does touch the drivers seat back, but is not braced by any means. Same with the infant seat and the passenger seat.

As far as I can tell in my instruction manual the Handle on the SnugRide can be in the carry position while driving. In the manual it shows several different positions for the handle and only says it cannot be used in the 2 in between settings while driving, but can be all the way down or all the way up....is this correct?

I might still go and see if a Radian give more driver space if the TF doesn't work behind the driver to give more space.

Thanks so much for all the help. I tried to get them in there the other day and just gave up, but everyone here is so helpful and there are some great tips!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC