Wish me luck!

honeybee03

We have some friends that have a two year old currently in a Graco Comfort Sport. She is 40lbs, and her shoulders are almost above the top slots. They are going to put her in a booster. What's worse, a backless booster in a lap belt only. A 2 year old. :eek: Come on, the dad is a PARAMEDIC. He should know better.
I also tried telling them that if they are only going to use a lap belt, that the booster is useless (if not more dangerous), but they just looked at me like I'm crazy.
I tried talking them into buying a higher harnessing seat. I told them about the Apex65, how it harnesses to 65, has high top slots, and then can convert to a booster after the harness is outgrown, all for only $99. But in this area, none of the stores carry any kind of high harnessing seat. So she would have to order it online, which I really don't see her going to that much trouble. She didn't seem interested in the seat at all after I told her she could only get it online.
I TRIED telling them that she is too young. But ND law only says "40lbs or when they outgrow their toddler seast", doesn't mention anything about age. I have tried finding material to give them that says 4 years (from the pedi office, etc) but can't find anything. They all say "when they outgrow their toddler seat"
Last week I got my seat checked at a SafeKids event. They gave me some informational handouts. All of the stuff just says either "when the toddler seat is outgrown" or "about 40lbs" Well, I FINALLY found ONE thing (a story booklet thing meant for kids) that said "about 4yrs (and about 40lbs)"
I also found out, that you can buy Apexes from SafeKids if you go to one of their events. I wrote down their number for her, along with the name of the Apex that she needs to request ahead of time, and the date of the next event, which is Monday. I will try to talk her into getting the seat for the new baby checked (she is due soon) and to get that seat for their dd and have them both put in while their there. I wrote it down on the booklet right under the information that mentions 4 years old (and hope they see that).
I am about to go over there and give her the info. Wish me luck that she agrees to go to the checkup, and that there is a spot open. If there isn't a spot open still, the next event isn't for another month. By then, she will have a new baby and will unlikely go.
Geez, why do I feel so nervous about this??? Anyway, cross your fingers for me!

ADS

scatterbunny

Good luck! Maybe show them the lapbelt-only crash test video, to show them how dangerous it is? Does their vehicle ONLY have lapbelts?

honeybee03

Well, when I called her, she said she didn't feel well and would call me when she felt better. :rolleyes: The check is on Monday, so by then it would be too late.
I saw the dad getting home from work (we live in the same apartment building) and caught him in the hallway. I told him all about it, and he gave me a blank stare and nodded his head. When I got done talking he said "yea, she'll love these coloring books, thanks!"
Am I too naive to think that he won't just give the books to his daughter without calling or even talking it over with the mom?
If they called, I would be so ecstatic. More than ecstatic. I am not sure if I want to peek in their vehicle next week or not. I probably shouldn't, just to avoid disappointment, but I know I won't be able not to.
:( :( :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC