BubbleBum Blow Up Booster Seat

ADS

Katy

looks scary to me!

not sure what this means as far as regs but this is on the site

The BubbleBum has been approved under the United Nations ECE Regulation R44/04 for safety for both Groups 2 and 3. It is designed for use with a standard 3 point adult seatbelt that has been approved to ECE Regulation 16 or equivalent.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I think it's super cool. Looks like it positions the lap belt nicely and raises the child so the shoulder belt fits. Likely not going to work for smaller kids but for older ones that need to haul it to school and might travel with friends, I think it's very cool. I'd just want to make sure that my child didn't slip forward when sitting on it as I'd be worried it might happen being more flexible than a traditional booster.

The one thing I didn't like, you have to blow it up! They should be using the self-inflating valves like in camping mats that do most of the work for you, then you just add a couple puffs at the end if needed.

Maedze

I think it's super cool. Looks like it positions the lap belt nicely and raises the child so the shoulder belt fits. Likely not going to work for smaller kids but for older ones that need to haul it to school and might travel with friends, I think it's very cool. I'd just want to make sure that my child didn't slip forward when sitting on it as I'd be worried it might happen being more flexible than a traditional booster.

The one thing I didn't like, you have to blow it up! They should be using the self-inflating valves like in camping mats that do most of the work for you, then you just add a couple puffs at the end if needed.

:yeahthat:

Very clever, and it looks like it positions the lap-belt beautifully.

I'm a little sketchy on the idea of blowing it up. Not sure how that will fare in a crash, and is there any kind of a pressure gauge for the parent to know it's sufficiently inflated?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ambulances here have some inflatable seats. Good for storing, since they're used rarely.

ECE R44/04 is their version of FMVSS213.

Wendy

Shanora

I went to their Facebook fan page and asked some questions....lol

Here is what I asked
This booster looks amazing, but I have a few questions (I'm A Canadian Child Safety Restraint Tech) :) Can you tell me what kind of material this seat is made out of, and if its "poppable"? I'd be highly concerned that this could be popped while the child is using it, and no protect them in the event of a collision, also what is the cover made out of?
Also what would be the max weight limit that this seat would be able to support and still preform properly in a collision. What would be the estimated expiry date on one of these seat?

Thanks in Advance for answering my questions!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Without the nifty belt guides, it's a gut crushing death trap. But with them? Neato! I just hope people use them properly on every trip...

Mae

I was reading on the site, a poster had mentioned that they could fit three in their back seat, whereas they couldn't fit three with the traditional plastic boosters. I bet this would work really well to fit three-across, as it's mold-able!

Shanora

Well I got a response.
Hi Samantha,

We wanted to let you know that we have completed the compliance dynamic testing for North America and are embarking on our Due Care as we want to evaluate beyond compliance. We are hoping to have the product for sale in North America and Canada within the next numbr of months, so watch this space. In relation to the 'popping' fear, our seat is tested both in its inflated and deflated state.

We hope this answers your Question!

The Bubblebum Team

I'd love to see a video of their testing done. Because I don't see how being tested in a deflated state will protect a child because wouldn't they then esstially be sitting is just the lap/shoulder belt.

Hmmm another question to pose to them I'm thinking.

So I responded with the following

I'd love to see a video of the testing done in both inflated and deflated stages (if you have them). Because I don't see how being tested in a deflated state would protect a child because wouldn't they then just essentially be sitting the lap/shoulder belt? Which would defeat the purpose of having a booster seat, since a booster seat is meant to boost the child up so the lap/shoulder belt properly fits them.

Thanks in Advance

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Well I got a response.

I'd love to see a video of their testing done. Because I don't see how being tested in a deflated state will protect a child because wouldn't they then esstially be sitting is just the lap/shoulder belt.

Hmmm another question to pose to them I'm thinking.

So I responded with the following

True, but I can see where the lap belt would at least still be correctly positioned when deflated. Those belt guides are nifty. I would also think that the pressure that would pop it would be on the reverse force after the intial forward motion in the crash. At that point the shoulder belt should have done its job.

Wiggles

I was sad to see how tiny the little girl on their homepage was, in the middle, in a backless booster... she's not big enough! I think she could still be rear-facing.

cookie123

I clicked on CLICK HERE TO BUY! It's out of stock. No price. It could be the answer to my problems if it's not poppable! Is that a word?

Shanora

She didn't really answer my question as it if its poppable or not. Mind you if its made out of a good sturdy rubber than it might be a good idea....

tjham

I'm amazed at this!

UK law states that every child under the age of 12 and shorter than 135cm must travel with a child seat or booster seat to help avoid serious injury in the event of a traffic collision.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC