I think I'm just done with the Monterey

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have posted before about the issues with the side wings of our Monterey opening up on their own. I called and they were super nice and sent me a new back. I thought it would solve all of our problems but I don't think it is working. The wings on this one are perfect and do not move out on their own but after testing it yesterday afternoon it still seems that if dd moves at all, the shoulder belt is not in position. It's very frustrating and I'm tired of fighting with the issue. I'm going to move it to my car so I can monitor her for a few days with the new back but I just don't think it's going to work.

We don't have any problems at all with her being out of position ever in her parkway. I was hoping the Cybex would work for her but these initial reviews are not looking good. I love the Oobr but am not in love with the depth.

I just love so many things about the Monterey. The depth is perfect, the cup holders are awesome, it's super duper comfy. But if it doesn't keep the belt positioned properly then we will just have to find something that will.

ADS

pharmdmom

I'm not a tech but it sounds to me like the Monterey is just too wide for your DD.

My DD is a few months older than yours and she is also in a Monterey. She is tall and stocky so it really has been the only booster that fits her width-wide. I think we have tried all the HBB out there - she felt cramped in all of them except the Monterey.

That being said, I don't share the :love: for the Monterey that many people here do. And it could be just my car where the belt stalk is; but the belt flipping in the belt guide is a huge problem. We took and hour trip yesterday and DD moved and screamed that the shoulder belt was too loose. The seat also leaves very deep dents in the seat (they look almost like puncture marks). The only reason I got it was b/c I wanted to keep her in a HBB longer and not jump from a Regent to a backless.

Why did you move her from the Parkway to the Monterey? Can you just keep her in the Parkway since it sounds like a better fit?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I'm going to look at the Probooster. DD does not really complain about lack of seat depth in the parkway but she really loves the Monterey. When does the probooster come out? I wish it came in pink. Or in the Paul Frank monkey pattern.:)

I am going to try her in the Cybex. I'm assuming our local specialty baby store will carry the probooster so I'm going to go try them all when it comes in.

I'm just so annoyed. She is not a small kid. It should fit her!

Oh and we have both the Monterey and the PW. She uses both. We had both when she moved to a booster full time. I love the Monterey and wanted her in it in my car because it seems most comfy. But, because of the shoulder belt issue, the Monterey is back in dh's car as a spare and she sits in the PW. The PW positions the belt perfectly for her all the time.

ginny4

ah yes i understand your problem......i've been following your threads on these issues. i really hope you find a better solution for your DD. may i ask how big she is?

i thought for sure that my DD would never fit the monterey well but now looks like the fit has improved with her growth. as a spare so far so good but i worry a bit when it becomes her full time seat. will the wings opening too much on their own causin issues with belt placement? i hope not.

i also had the issue that a PP mentioned. the belt getting twisted & hung up on in the guide. a different seating location seems to help tremendously.

i'm interested in the probooster coming.....it may be a better seat fit for us. tho not having latch makes me leery. i'm terrible at remembering to buckle an empty booster

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
She is 53 lbs I think? Now I can't remember. Between 50 and 53 and 48 inches. So, not a tiny kiddo. I got such a great deal on the Monterey, too. It was on sale at bbc Christmas before last!

I tried her in it backless yesterday just to see what she looked like and it was not a good fit either. Not that I would use it backless with her. I'm likely going to keep it just so I have it for later since I got such a good deal.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you move the headrest up a click (so one click "too high") does it fix the problem?

ginny4

She is 53 lbs I think? Now I can't remember. Between 50 and 53 and 48 inches. So, not a tiny kiddo. I got such a great deal on the Monterey, too. It was on sale at bbc Christmas before last!

I tried her in it backless yesterday just to see what she looked like and it was not a good fit either. Not that I would use it backless with her. I'm likely going to keep it just so I have it for later since I got such a good deal.

hmmm....my DD is about that size too. weird. i'll be keeping a special eye on her fit to make sure its working for us. i do have the headrest a lil too high since it helps with the placement.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Yes, the higher headrest does help. I just don't want to have to watch her like a hawk and I shouldn't have to!! She should be able to move (and I don't mean move all crazy) and not get out of position. We actually too a road trip with her in it and I did nothing but reach back and push her back into position when she was sleeping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC