Why RF beyond 4?

NannyMom

For those of you who would RF a child over 4 years old...why? I know someone in particular I've seen post that she'd RF any child under age 6 if she could.

ETA: Beyond 4 means past 4yrs 1 day.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
RFing is always safer. The benefits don't end on the day after the fourth birthday. That being said, they do diminish with age. We'll all draw our lines differently -- I suspect some folks might think I'm negligent (or at least less-than-scrupulously safe) for boostering a 7.25yo who easily fit into harnessed seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure whether or not I'd RF a child that long, but I imagine people who do so would say because it's safer. Which it is. Even adults would be safer riding rear-facing. People probably figure that as long as their child fits, they'll take advantage of the benefits.

menfusse

I did it for E because of her size, as well as it was more supportive for her when sleeping. She's FF now, and likely won't go back to RF even though she's still a squirt and I'm totally fine with it. I think maybe when she turned 4, we would have went FF right away if I had the GN then. So I guess for us it was more of seat compatibility. I feel like after 4, barring any extreme circumstances, that the statistical differences in safety between RF and FF are not significant enough (for me to force the issue with a child who wants to FF). I can't imagine RF'ing an average sized 6 year old. Of course I suppose it's partly opinion, but I think by that time it really would be terribly uncomfy for their legs.

NannyMom

RFing is always safer. The benefits don't end on the day after the fourth birthday. That being said, they do diminish with age. We'll all draw our lines differently -- I suspect some folks might think I'm negligent (or at least less-than-scrupulously safe) for boostering a 7.25yo who easily fit into harnessed seats.

I know the benefits don't end on the 4th bday :) The neck matures between 4 and 6, so do we just want to get as close to 6 as we can? Or just as long as possible? If buying new seats to keep RF is not a financial hardship, is it a good idea? I can't imagine having a 9 year old RF, but I know A would happily do it if she could.

Harnessing is different, isn't it? Do we have anything that shows that harnesses would be safer for everyone? I know race car drivers use them, but they drive alot faster than we do on the road.

dmpmercury

I decided to keep my dd rear facing after she turns 4 because there is still spinal development going on between 4-6. Even though the the benefits aren't as big as when they are younger they are still there. She has so much room above her head since she is very petitite and she won't hit the weight limit so I decided to keep her rear facing a little longer at least while the baby on the way around her birthday is in the infant seat. It would even be safer for adults if it were possible to ride like that.

There is one highway we travel on sometimes where head on collisions are common and a lot of accidents end up being deadly. It is a rocky winding two lane highway where people drive a little too fast and do dangerous passes. I think she stands a better chance if she is rear facing even at age 4.

I think it is also slightly more comfy being rear facing. I prefer using ottomens or the cofee table to put my feet up on. She also has a good view out the back window. I wouldn't choose it soley for that but since it does offer a safety advantage it is a nice bonus.

I wouldn't go out and buy a new seat to keep a 4 year old + rear facing longer but if they fit in the seat they are in I don't see turning myself turning them on the 4th birthday.

christineka

The european study actually found that rfing was safer for children through 4 years of age, not until the 4th birthday. They had one example of a 5 yo that would have been alive had she been rfing rather than ffing.

I would gladly rf till age 6 if we had seats built for kids with legs. While there are seats here that rf to 40-45 pounds, there is still little leg room. It can become uncomfortable for older children to have their legs cramped.

I kept dd3 rfing till just after her 5th birthday because she was so tiny and because it was just better for our van. I think I will be fine letting ds2 go ffing at age 4. I would love to rf till 6, then put the child in a booster, but not until we get some seats with decent leg room.

simplychels

Because its safer, its more convenient for me to have DD rf'ing (think passing a drink to her or holding her hand if shes having a rough time for whatever reason). And its also quieter, from what I've heard. Sure she sees a lot, and tells me what shes seeing, BUT I suspect thats going to magnify once shes ff'ing. Its also nice to be able to drive past somewhere she wants to go without her seeing it until its too late.

We travel a lot to another province (my home province), and are in the process of moving and will be traveling Canada's most dangerous hiway frequently. That alone is enough to keep dd'ing rf'ing well past 4 years old.

MANDY1234

I'm there right now. Payton will be 4 in 2 weeks :eek: She has asked me for a frontier like her older sister, but I know the benifits...she fit RF in her RN with inches above her head. I just don't know what to do...

Maedze

Also, if you rear face through to 5 or 6, it increases the chance of going straight to a good booster :)

It's a fair bet that most spines are fused by the 4th birthday but some kids do take a little longer. Doesn't hurt to give them every last moment for development.

Radians do not work in my van so I'm stuck at 40 lbs or so, which is around the 4th birthday.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I will RF my kid beyond age 4...because I can. I already habe the seat (CA) so it will not be a financial hardship. He'll still fit easily, unless something insane and drastic happens n the next 2 years. So...i guess my response is...why not? Now, I might not go above and beyond or make drastic effort to RF a kid past 4.....but all other things equal, of course I *would* rf past 4.

babyherder

I have said that I would rear face any kid to age 6 if I could. If the spine matures between ages 4 and 6 and rear facing is safer for everyone, why not? I would probably not buy a new seat to rear face past age 4 if it was a financial hardship at all. I might not make a kid rear face past age 4 if they didn't like it. But if finances and opinions allow for it I would rear face any kids in my car until they're 947 million (or something like that). I consider anything past age 6 my own quirky anxiety issues surfacing, though.

Ali

If DD were smaller, I would definitely RF her. Solely for the purpose of having her voice projected towards the rear of the vehicle instead of at me. :whistle:

Seriously though. If they fit and are ok with it, I say RF to the limits!

StillThankful

Ditto. DD1 is RFing in Radian XT SL. She is currently 3 1/2 years old and 38 pounds, so she has a little more ways to go to RF. I plan to keep her RFing until she reaches the max of height and/or weight. I am one person that DID go out and purchase a new seat to keep her rear facing. I'm glad that we have seats now that can RF longer (as the Swedish seats). Leg room hasn't been an issue thus far--she either folds her legs or lets them hang on the sides. She likes being RF like her younger 1 year old sister.

NannyMom

It's been my rule that Sofi won't FF before 4. She's got about 5 months until her 4th birthday. She's 30-32 pounds and most of her seats are 35 pounds RF. I have told others that drive her that she can FF when she's 4, it'll be up to them. I know SIL has a hard time with her RF, when Sofi's wearing a sweater it's difficult to tighten the MR (though without, it's easier). It will be easier for SIL to have her harness properly FF. She's managing for now (by squashing Sofi into the harness that may be too tight because she's afraid if she loosens, she can't tighten).

I think I will tell DH she must stay RF with him until she hits the 35 pound limit though.

I was having a hard time convincing myself it's ok to buy a new seat to keep her RF past 4. The MR won't fit center, where I want her. The Radian didn't work. But the CA will. I'm thinking maybe the CA will be easier for SIL too. I WANT Sofi to keep RF after 4. But I think because I keep reading here about it being safe to RF at 2, or 3, or 4.... (But safER to RF) I was beginning to think I was crazy to RF after 4 :eek: It won't be a financial hardship.... when I sell things I get to spend the money as I please... I'm up to $145 now.

All that rambling to say.... I think I wanted to see that others keep their kids RF beyond 4, and I'm not crazy :eek:

Karen

Well, honestly because the stuff that I've read about harnessing seats putting strain on the neck (nothing documented.) The whole to booster or harness thing is totally avoided if I just keep him RFing!

twinsmom

I do it for the reason many have mentioned: the spine maturing/ossifying up to age 6. No one knows when this process is completed in each child, so I figure the closer I can get to 6 the better. I'm not sure how much longer I'll have my kids RF, but for now they are not complaining, and they still have room in their seats (they will be 5 next month). I would also like to feel comfortable having them in a booster full time after they are done RF.

nevaehsmommy

Nevaeh will be 4 next month. I rear face bc she likes to sleep in the car. She fits rear facing in her new seat so why not. I am also really paranoid to the point of making my self sick thinking about what could happen and could I live with my self in a (not quite) worst case scenario.

It is safer pure and simple.

She has not complained and if fact asked and has recived a myride for her birthday so she could sit rear facing like her cousins. She has a regent (thank you kdmf) waiting for her but I am in no hurry to turn her.

babygirlsmom1005

Madeline is 4 1/2 and after being FF'ing for a little less than a year - SHE requested to be turned around after her brother was born and was RF'ing. At the time she asked, she was a little over 3 1/2 years old, still under 35 lbs and fit into our Cosco Scerena and his TFP...so she rode RF'ing until she hit 35 lbs and then back into her Frontier. She begged and begged to be turned around again, so I caved (yeah like that was hard :whistle:) and bough her the XT and she's been in it since RF'ing. She's now 4 1/2, 36.8 lbs and has tons of growing room left in it. She loves her "princess seat with the crown on it" (the crown is the sunshine symbol, she's convienced it's a crown).

This seat when she outgrows it will be passed down to her brother, he will be in it until he reaches the limits of it. I truthfully think Madeline will at the very least make it to 5 years old RF'ing in it. She is safer, she doesn't complain and actually prefers it. Not going to argue with it!!!

emandbri

From the research I've seen it is always safer to be rear-facing so I will keep Elizabeth rear-facing in my van as long as there is a seat that she will fit in.

Harness vs booster we don't have any actual studies saying one is safer than the other for older children so I chose to move Benjamin to a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC