Expiration date question

dd9736

My seat only has a manufacture date on it, and I was wondering how i would find the expiration date for the seat. It's a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio manufactured in october 05
My old seat manufactured in 03/04 (don't remember and don't want to go out and look right now) has an expireation of 2010, but it's an evenflo and I'm not sure if brand makes a diffierence

ADS

scatterbunny

Most brands expire six years from the date of manufacture. I'm not familiar with Peg Perego, so I can't say for sure if they are six years or not. I know someone will come along soon with the right answer, though! :)

on an old thread but it's on topic -

New to car seats and expiration dates.

So does this mean my Britax Roundabout - mfgd. July 20, 2001 according to the sticker - should be destroyed rather than garage saled?

If so - any tips on destroying?

Thanks!

courtfrog2

Definately destroy it. Cut the straps off it and if you can saw it in half. If the cover is in decent shape, save it and sell it. You can make a little money for it depending on the shape. I made the mistake of destroying the cover before I knew better. Covers don't expire!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Definitely destroyed. Do you have power tools? Do you enjoy using them? Are you angry at something? If so, then have at it!!!

Do NOT try to run it over with your car. You'll only ruin your driveway. :whistle:

Wendy

Thank you folks. I'm going to play devils advocate now... or my mother...

I told her last night that I was going to destroy my old car seat -which she immediately wants to have on hand for the grandson from out of town. I tried to explain that car seats expire. She asked why? If it worked for my daughter for a few years - why would it not still be a safe seat going forward?

Now I know I'm going to have the world of CPS rain down on me but I'd like to give her an authority response.

Also as a side note - what about my new Graco Nauti? My daughter is 5 - and I'm really hoping "this is the last car seat" I'll ever buy and can truly keep her in it until she's 10. Can I?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's an expired Britax. Have your mom watch this.

http://home.comcast.net/~dcbsr/test...Child_Facing_Forwards_ten_years_old_seat.mpeg

Then ask if she wants that to be her grandchild.

The plastic gets brittle. Ever step on a toy that's been left outside? It shatters. The harness can then be ripped from the shell. As you see in the videos it half ejects, half strangles the child. The neck is probably broken. That's a ten year old seat in the video. Whether that happens at six years and a day or nine years and 364 days we don't know. Britax says six years, and as it's worth millions of dollars to them if they're wrong, I'd go with what they say.

Turn this back on her. Have her find you information that says an expired seat is safe to use. Have her call Britax (888-427-4829) and ask them if it's ok. Have them explain it to her.

Yes, you can use your Nautilus until your daughter is 10. Actually, the harness and high back will be good until she's 11, the low back booster will be good until she's 14. The high back and harness portions have a six year expiration, the no back portion is good for nine.

Wendy

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You completely rock! Thank you!

I am my father's daughter - we value knowledge and my mother seems to revel in being ignorant.

Your reply should settle this one.

Thanks for the info on the Nauti- I'm committed to keeping DD safe and secure. love the photos of your DD.

U

Unregistered

I have thw Peg Perego Primo Viaggio car seat with it's original manual and on page 7 it says: " Do not use this unit after five years from the date of purchase". So even though it is a 2005 model, I bought it at store at the end of 2006 so it is good for anouther year.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have thw Peg Perego Primo Viaggio car seat with it's original manual and on page 7 it says: " Do not use this unit after five years from the date of purchase". So even though it is a 2005 model, I bought it at store at the end of 2006 so it is good for anouther year.

I would definitely call and double check that. If the seat sat in a warehouse for three years and then was used for five, that's outside the acceptable range of most seats. And modern Pegs say five years from date of production, not purchase.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I believe in Europe they may expire based on date of purchase, rather than date of manufacture. (Don't ask me why.) But, European seats are not legal for the US, and US rules need to be followed for US seats. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC