Fabreeze in a car seat?

christineka

I contacted The First Years for some help cleaning my new true fit that got peed in. They emailed their reply today and told me to spray fabreeze in the car seat. Do you think that's a good idea?

ADS

msg221

Did you wash the cover? It says you can hand wash and line dry. Although I don't see why you couldn't spray Febreeze on it. I've used it on the vehicle upholstery with no problem as well as my sofa.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Febreze masks odours, it does not get rid of them. If you can still smell the pee, it is still there. You need to actually clean it out of the fabric to actually get rid of the smell.

Have you washed the cover yet? If you handwash it, make sure you agitate it to get the mild soap and water through the entire cover. Just soaking it will not clean out the pee. You would also need to rinse it really well, perhaps with the shower head, rinse, squeeze, rinse, squeeze, etc. Better yet would be if you have a front load washer with a handwash cycle. That will do the best job of distributing the soap and rinsing it clean.

christineka

I washed the cover per the instructions and it cleaned well. The problem I had, for which I wrote to The First Years (or Learning Curve) was that the doubled up parts of the harness wouldn't come clean. After washing per the instructions a few times they still smelled of urine. After writing to the first years someone suggested scrubbing with baking soda and leaving the seat out in the sun. I did that and was satisfied, though it's not as clean as it was when new. Cs only just recently responded to my email.

Here's the email they sent,

"Dear Christine,

Thank you for your email and we apologize for the delay in the response. The product team has recommended using a form of deodorizer to help with the odor you are speaking about. For example there are types of febreeze that may work. I have made sure to share your request in regards to the fabric options with the product team.

We hope this information was helpful.

Regards,
Consumer Services"

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, so its the harness that's the problem, not the cover. Does Learning Curve sell a replacement harness? I know the harness comes out, it's a bit of a pain but it does as I removed mine to send back to them. The crotch buckle can't be removed though from what I can tell.

christineka

Okay, so its the harness that's the problem, not the cover. Does Learning Curve sell a replacement harness? I know the harness comes out, it's a bit of a pain but it does as I removed mine to send back to them. The crotch buckle can't be removed though from what I can tell.

That's good to know that the harness does come out. I was worried that if I took it out I wouldn't be able to put it back. It's the doubled up parts of the harness that had issues: the crotch strap and the portion holding the splitter plate. I decided that the splitter plate part isn't a big deal since it's under the seat. The crotch strap is much better now after the baking soda and sunning. I did write to the first years specifically about those two parts, not just the seat in general.

MissAllyLou

Yes First Years has a harness replacement. I called about a squirrel eating my harness (long story), and they sent me a new one :) .

Wiggles

Instead of febreze, I MIGHT consider spritzing it with a little bit of Nature's Miracle, the enzyme stuff designed to take cat pee out. The smell should come from similar types of stuff as it would in cat pee.

steph_s

I would not use febreeze on a car seat!! Febreeze is basically fabric softener. If you read the back of any fabric softener it will tell you not to wash children's pj's in it. This is because it takes off the flame retardant! Also, what happened to mild detergent? I would order replacement parts or perhaps stick the straps in a bag with some baking soda to absorb the smell before I would ever use febreeze on a seat! Yikes!

kidzndogz

I wouldn't do Fabreeze, just because I think that stuff is gross. If something stinks, the odor causer needs to be removed, not covered up with perfume.

I agree with Wiggles...some Nature's Miracle might help. Or Folex? I think Target has it. Breaks down the enzymes. Not sure about the safety on the straps but you could call and ask. I don't think it's nearly as harsh as using vinegar or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC