Lightweight Travel Seat?

jenofeve

Hi

I'm looking to purchase a seat strictly for air travel for DS2 who is 9 months old and 24pounds, 30 inches tall (and very wiggly!). I purchased a CARES harness for my older son who is almost 3 and he's been using it since he was one, but I found it didn't fit him well until he was closer to 2 (he fit the guidelines but he didn't seem to sit comfortably in it until he was bigger IMO). I'd like to get a seat for the younger one for the next 14 months or so until he can sit well in the CARES harness. We do a lot of travelling and I can't handle another five hour flight with him on my lap (and I know the car seat is safer anyway).

I don't want to be installing/uninstalling seats from the car at the airport as we have seats in both cars in both BC and Ontario, so I want something new. I'm looking for something light to carry, and easy to install on the plane.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :love:

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Most people like to travel with the Scenera. It's nice and light, cheap to buy, and fairly easy to install on airplane seats. Since you're *just* looking at using the seat on the plane, really you could purchase any RF/FF or even just FF seat that isn't going to make your arms fall off lugging through the airport. :) Also--since you're just using it for the airplane, you technically could buy a US Scenera for about $40 at Walmart (etc) and use that on the plane, even with Canadian carriers. A bit cheaper that way.

-Nicole.

LittlePeanut

Also--since you're just using it for the airplane, you technically could buy a US Scenera for about $40 at Walmart (etc) and use that on the plane, even with Canadian carriers. A bit cheaper that way.

I agree with Nicole on the scenera recommendation but depending on the carrier, I'm not sure I would suggest buying a US seat. AC can be a PITA about having a "Canadian approved" car seat and the only thing they will look for is that little Maple Leaf sticker. You can buy the Scera at Zellers for $65-70 on sale and for $70 at Walmart. IMO the extra money isn't worth the hassel they'll give you over it.

We fly frequently too and the Scenera is a breeze to install most of the time. DS1 has been on over 150 flight legs in under 4 years. At 1 y/o he had flow 1 flight leg per week of his life :eek:

Kat_Shoshin

The scenera is a great seat and you can attach it to a stroller with it's Latch connectors and top tether like I did to make a DIY travel system.

Here we are in London last summer

Rear face it on the plane so that the only seat they will be kicking is their own!

jenofeve

We fly frequently too and the Scenera is a breeze to install most of the time. DS1 has been on over 150 flight legs in under 4 years. At 1 y/o he had flow 1 flight leg per week of his life :eek:

Wow! I thought my kids flew frequently! DS 1 will be 3 in May and has been on 34 flight legs, DS 2 is 9 months and has been on 12 flight legs. We fly all long haul- mostly Toronto-Vancouver, with a Hawaii and Vegas thrown in for kicks :) I know it's going to be bad when DS1 announces 'ALL DONE!' before take off!

Thanks everyone for the recommendation. I'm going to head to Wal Mart and check out the Scenera. Thanks Kat_Shoshin for sharing your picture- i'm going to have to try that! :thumbsup:

LittlePeanut

OT but if you don't have one already, you should get them their own passenger flight log books. I bought one for DS1 and still need to pick up one for DS2. You can get them embossed with their names. DS2 has not flown anywhere near as much as DS1. It just so much more work flying with 2.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC