So many questions and answers :}

kiku

Hi all! I'm so glad I found this board! I need to replace my kids' current seats and the information I've been finding is so variable and confusing that my head is spinning. If anyone has suggestions I'd be so happy to have your advice!

Both of my kids are in Britax Marathon seats currently. My 8 year old has outgrown the shoulder straps and my 6 year old is not far behind. Here are their stats:
8yo 54" tall 18" shoulder height and 52 lbs
6yo 50" tall 16.5" shoulder height and 50 lbs

I would really, really like to keep them in a 5 point harness. Especially since my 6yo is a real wiggle worm; I don't trust him to sit still and keep the belt positioned properly with just a plain booster. Is there one that will fit the 8yo? I've found sites that suggest putting her in a regular belt sans seat of any kind and that horrifies me! If possible I'd like to get two of the same thing for them-- makes the bargain shopping easier and means the 6yo's seat will last him awhile. :} We are on a budget but more than willing to find a way for things that are important like this. If the $150 seat is better than the $100 seat we'll find the money. If they are the same we'll buy the $100 one.

Thank you so much!

We currently have a Subaru Legacy (1996 It just won't give us an excuse to get rid of it :) and a Cadillac Deville- the seats are usually in the Cadi right now but switch over often. And hopefully we will be replacing one of the cars within about 6-12 months.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There really is no need to harness an 8yo who is physically and developmentally typical. A good highbacked booster would be a safe and appropriate choice for her (and, frankly, much safer than a Marathon that was outgrown several inches ago).

If you need to keep the 6yo harnessed, a Graco Nautilus would be a good choice.

NVMBR02

I would look at the Sunshine Kids Monterey, Recaro Vivo and Britax Parkway SG for your 8 year old. They are all nice tall high backed boosters that should last quite awhile. The Parkway SG and the Monterey convert to a no back booster.

I think the Graco Nautilus is the best bet for your wiggly 6 year old.

gigi

Our 96 Legacy wagon just broke up with us and my whole family was really sad about it. Just wanted to chime in on the shape of the back seat. B/C there aren't head rests, you need to make sure any seat you get (or high back booster) is okay without back support. I know some don't allow installation in a car without rear head rests.

kiku

Thanks a bunch for all the good info and recommendations! Very much appreciated. :)

Anybody know about the crotch strap problems that the Nautilus seemed to have a couple of years ago? Have they fixed it? From the sounds of it they were placed too far back and not adjustable so kids would outgrow the seats quickly; well before the weight/height limits.

gigi- sorry to hear about your wagon :( They are great cars! Ours has almost 265,000 miles on it and still runs great. Thank you for the 'no head rest' reminder. I will definitely make sure the seat we get is ok in that situation.

We are going car seat shopping tomorrow!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC