Ack, downsize from minivan to sedan MOVE to Europe

obamamama

So we're moving to Europe this Summer.
We currently have 2 minivans that we don't wanna bring. So, we plan to sell them cheap and buy something else cheap. Morganthe says it's harder to buy a car there, so why not ship on the Govt dime? Right!

What we have is this:

3 year old Landen is in a Nauti and a TF. Neither seat is a must take, but would rather keep Nauti if possible. He's 41.5" and 36lbs. Not sure of torso.

7 year old Liberty is in a Turbo and a Big Kid. She's 49" and 43lbs. Can do backless there if necessary.

13 year old Tyler is HUGE. He's 5ft8" and 130lbs. So, he needs to have room in the backseat. I can swap out with him in the front if necessary.

SO-- what sedans will work? We won't be spending too much, prolly about $5k cash, so what's out there that's possible?
Do you think I should change seats to maximize space?

So, yeah, um that's it. I'll check the 3 across posts too so I can find some ideas already suggested out there.

:)

ADS

Melanie

I find that with 2 car seats and an adult sized person it's more comfortable for the adult to sit next to a rear facing seat. You get shoulder room that way. Could you get a Radian and RF Landon in the middle for now?

obamamama

I probably could. A new 45lb RF Radian will have to wait til we actually have $ for that. I do think it would be a viable option though.

gigi

Not sure where in Europe you are moving, but my cousin lives in London and gets Volvos extremely cheaply compared to here. She has an 02 or 03 XC70 and she paid about 6000 pounds for it 2-3 years ago. Her back seat is DEFINITELY big enough for 2 car seats and a person (I know b/c I sat back there between 2 car seats). I'd put the seats next to each other and your oldest son outboard, if you go the Volvo route.

obamamama

We are moving to a small area of Belgium-- near Meeuwen about an hour either way from Germany or France. Not able to find much information but usually people leaving bases will sell their cars and buy new once they reach the states.
However, we'd like to get a car before we leave so that my father can give it a onceover with his mad mechanic skills to make sure it's no lemon.
I was thinking a Honda Accord or a Nissan Altima or something. I know they aren't huge in backseat area, but if I move Landen to a RN it just may work. Hubby will be taking the car most days to work, my kids will ride busses both ways to school every day, and most likely Landen and I will take public transit if we go anyplace.

horsesitaly

Senior Community Member
Not sure why you don't want to bring your minivans, TONS of poeple here have full size minivans and SUVs (to include Suburbans), so it's not like you can't get around in a bigger vehicle. Parking may be more difficult (for my friends it just means sometimes walking a bit further) and there may be a few streets you can't get down in something like a huge SUV but I haven't heard anyone in a minivan complain about it being too big. That said, I traded in my Windstar for a Mazda5 so we'd have someting a bit smaller and more fuel efficient, and we'd blend in better lol.

obamamama

Really, I'm looking for any reason to get away from driving a minivan. :whistle:
Too American if you ask me. LOL.

The new one will also be mainly dh's car, since I won't be going to explore too much on my own with a 3 year old and everyone gone all day. He will probably have to drive about 30-40 minutes to work each way and since there isn't really any base to go do stuff on with him, I'll probably mostly rely on public transport.
Just wonder if the Radian will be the smartest choice-- I mean 3 across is probably not doable with the Nauti unless it's a big car-- one I really don't like, such as the Malibu/Buick somethings that I've seen.

Any suggestions on make of car to look at? I've heard good things about Mazda's and I saw a pretty VW for sale the other day.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC