Still having trouble finding a booster to fit '09 Enclave

pharmdmom

I hope you don't get sick of me posting my booster seat issues!

DD is 7 years old, about 51 inches, 65 lbs. 20.5 inch torso. I just moved her from a Regent to a Monterey in my car ('06 Odyssey). I think the Montery is just OK (can't get over the belt constantly flipping in the belt guide) but DD seems to like it (she actually likes the Regent better but she is too tall for it now).

I am having one heck of a time finding something to fit DH's car, a '09 Buick Enclave. Here's what I've tried:

Monterey -- very, very hard to buckle the seat belt. DH said he had to practically tilt the seat to the side to do it. He said he would hate to have to do that all the time.

Clek Oobr -- this is the only seat that technically fits in his car, but DD said it's not comfy (I am taking that with a grain of salt since she was used to all the room she had in the Regent)

Clek Olli -- too wide; covers seat belt bottom so cannot buckle it at all.

Britax Parkway SG --DD hates this seat. She feels cramped (and she is), hates the SG clip. Plus, I too cannot buckle it in DH's car!

I am going to pick up the backless Turbobooster today since DD is too tall for the highback version. I thought about the Combi Dakota but it is as wide as some of the others I have tried.

DD is currently riding in a Compass B510 in his car. She is on the top belt guide so I really need to get her something pronto.

So I guess my question is, would you feel comfortable with her in a backless booster (assuming the TB fits)? His car does have side curtains airbags. Or would you spend the $300 for the Oobr. (I sent it back so I would have to order another one). DH drives the kids around a lot, so the seat would be used quite a bit. I don't know why I have such reservations on the backless booster.

TIA.

ADS

Maedze

The thought of a seven year old in a backless doesn't thrill me, but it doesn't make me get the smelling salts, either.

I'll tell you what...if it were my husband griping about the Monterey, I'd tell him to deal with it :p

Most boosters in most cars are going to fit quite snugly with the female end of the buckle. Having to do a reach around and slide isn't uncommon.

pharmdmom

The thought of a seven year old in a backless doesn't thrill me, but it doesn't make me get the smelling salts, either.

I'll tell you what...if it were my husband griping about the Monterey, I'd tell him to deal with it :p

Most boosters in most cars are going to fit quite snugly with the female end of the buckle. Having to do a reach around and slide isn't uncommon.

If I can't find anything else to fit then he will have to deal with the Monterey. I've tried buckling her in it - I am not trying to get him off the hook on this one ;) but it really in a PITA. The female part of the buckle sticks up from the seat and barely has any play to it so that's why it's so hard to buckle it.

Glad to know that it's not the end of the world if I end up with a BB. :)

canadiangie

Having done battle with a few boosters in an Acadia (Traverse, Outlook and Enclave clone) I can attest to how difficult it is to buckle. The female end of the seatbelt is fixed, angled forward. I'm pretty sure (if my brain is on straight this morn) a TurboBooster was the best bet in the end. It's slightly rounded in shape which made buckling just a wee bit easier. IIRC a Clek Olli/Ozzi was impossible (completely covered buckle when LATCH'd), and not using LATCH meant a 2" gap between the back of the booster and the seatbite of the vehicle.

canadiangie

Is the LATCH offset?

OP, if you didn't LATCH the Monterey would that solve the problem?

I assume she has captains chairs in her 2nd row (thats my assumption based on her issue and my experiences with this vehicle) and if so, then her LATCH is not off centre. Think standard issue LATCH on a captains chair.

pharmdmom

I assume she has captains chairs in her 2nd row (thats my assumption based on her issue and my experiences with this vehicle) and if so, then her LATCH is not off centre. Think standard issue LATCH on a captains chair.

I do have the captain's chairs and the LATCH is not off center. Because the Monterey is so wide, it didn't matter if I did not use the LATCH.

I think I will try a Turbobooster. Glad to know it's not just me having issues with the seats!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Awwww, crud-muffins!!! This is the vehicle I told DH I want next when my van croaks, as we will need room for 5 kids in an array of RF to FF to booster seats AAAAAAACK!!!!!!

Now I am afraid LOL

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you have a wide child, you'll need a wide booster. A wide booster will be difficult to buckle in a captain's chair. I don't think there's a workaround for that.

pharmdmom

If you have a wide child, you'll need a wide booster. A wide booster will be difficult to buckle in a captain's chair. I don't think there's a workaround for that.

This is what I am afraid of. I dragged DD to the store today, plopped the TurboBooster on the floor and asked her to sit in it. She said she was kind of cramped in it. :( Her hips are right between the armrests. If she gets any wider, she won't fit in it. I bought it anyway and will try it in DH's car when he gets home. If it really is too tight then unfortunately DH will have to deal with the Monterey.

pharmdmom

Awwww, crud-muffins!!! This is the vehicle I told DH I want next when my van croaks, as we will need room for 5 kids in an array of RF to FF to booster seats AAAAAAACK!!!!!!

Now I am afraid LOL

We love the car, just not loving the booster problems!

My DS (6 years old) is in a Compass B510 booster. We don't have as many problems with it -- not the easiest to buckle, but do-able. Unfortunately DD outgrew it by height so I'm forced to find something else. I wish the Compass converted to a backless (which it does not) so I could keep DD in it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'm wondering if the big kid confidence, in backless mode, would work? The lack of armrests might mean less of a squished feeling, and make it easier to buckle. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Big-Kid-Confidence-Booster/dp/B0013TFC6E"]Amazon.com: Evenflo Big Kid Confidence Booster: Baby[/ame]

Also..isn't the enclave a 3-row SUV? What about a different seating position?

sirrahn

If you're going backless anyway, you might try the Harmony Literider.

It has low flared armrests which may make it easier to buckle. It seems to me to fit bigger kids much better than the Turbo as well. Both my 7 yr old and 10 yr old (who's actually about the size of your DD) use them in DH's car and like them quite a bit. I'm also very pleased with the seatbelt fit.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'm also thinking maybe the nauti in backless mode? Because the seat tapers and is narrower at the back, maybe that would buy you the room you need to be able to buckle?

pharmdmom

I'm wondering if the big kid confidence, in backless mode, would work? The lack of armrests might mean less of a squished feeling, and make it easier to buckle. Amazon.com: Evenflo Big Kid Confidence Booster: Baby

Also..isn't the enclave a 3-row SUV? What about a different seating position?

I thought the arm rests were necessary b/c they acted as "hips" since young kids's hips aren't that strong.

Yes, the Enclave has a 3rd row, and I have thought about trying a different spot in the back. The problem is that DH always has a TON of stuff in the back b/c he constantly uses his car for his job and is always moving things, so the 3rd row is always down. If I can get him to not have so much stuff back there that may be an option. Heck, the way it's going it may be the ONLY option!

I have not thought about a Nautilus or a Lite Rider. I have considered the Monterey in backless mode as maybe having the back off will give me an extra inch or two of space to push the seat back. I may have to try that when DH gets home tonight.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I will keep you updated as around here the Acadia/Enclave/Traverse is a popular car.

pharmdmom

It looks like the booster that fits best IN THE CAR is the TurboBooster.

I bought the high back version on Friday. DD said it was tight (which I knew when I had her try it in the store) but at least I can actually buckle it in DH's car without breaking my back. She fits in it much better backless. I am still going to try the Monterey backless today (had a party to go to yesterday) to see if there is a difference.

I did try the TB in high back mode with my DS (6 years old, 45 lbs. a smidge over 46 inches) and it fit him much better than the Compass B510 he is currently in. The belt portion was much lower on his lap so I will now use this for him.

So I guess bottom line is TB works well in the Enclave, but it is too narrow for DD (who is much stockier than her brother). It is a great fit for DS who is Mr. Skinny. If I find something else that fits I will update this thread.

pharmdmom

Here's one final update:

I am able to get DD in the Monterey in DH's car, but only if I use it backless and do not LATCH it into the seat. It sits slightly off-center so hopefully it will be OK. I think taking the back off allowed me to push it back slightly thus making it a bit easier to buckle. It's not "easy" but doable. The TB still was a little easier but since DD complained too much, this is our only option since I was trying to keep costs down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC