Truefit a good Grandparent's seat?

ontariomama

I'm looking for a seat for my parent's car. My DS is 15 mos, approx 23 lbs and has a long torso (he's on the third slot of the RN already!). They have a Buick Century and a Honda Civic, both around 2001-2002. The Buick has latch. The truefit is on sale this week at BRU (in Canada) and I'm wondering if this is a good seat to recommend to them to get.

Do you think this is a good seat for a grandparent's vehicle? If not, suggestions please :)

TIA

ADS

ctbcleveland

I think it is a pretty good seat for a granparent. It has a no re-thread harness which makes it easy to adjust the harness height when necessary. Also good if they transport other grandchildren in the same vehicle and don't want to swap out seats. It has seatbelt lock-offs which are helpful with non-latch vehicles.

I have two caveats. It is a relatively wide seat, so it will definitely consume alot of backseat space in the civic. Also, the harness adjuster is difficult to reach when rear-facing (what you pull to tighten). This may be a pain for an older person with any type of arthritis (not sure how old your parents are).

You need to be comfortable turning your DS at 35 pounds as this seat does not have a higher RF weight limit. My understanding is that it performs well forward facing, so I am ok with this for an older child.

Since I am not in canada, I can't recall all of what you have available to you. Is the safety first avenue available? It is a great seat and a little cheaper (here in the US) for a spare. The radian would work too and be narrower, but limits front seat passenger space because of the recline and can be a difficult install with just seatbelts.

I love my true fit and don't think you will be dissapointed. It should work in grandma and granpa's car for a long time.

Last edited:

ontariomama

My parents at the moment have no arthritis issues, just achy bones. They're 58 and 59. Man, when you type that out, it seems like they're getting older, but in my mind they aren't. But I digress.

Honestly I don't imagine them using the Civic that much, just the Buick. They are thinking about getting a minivan so they can transport all their grandkids at once.

I just checked and we do have the Avenue, but it's regular price ($149) is the same price as the Truefit on sale! I think that I'd rather go with the Truefit for that price. This seat won't be used that frequently (I think), but my mom is retiring in May and that will probably change things quite a bit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC