Kids in seatbelts way too young

dmpmercury

I see so many people around here who put there preschool age (3-5) kids often in the front seat with just a seatbelt and no booster. How much less protected in an accident is a kid that doesn't fit correctly in a seatbelt especially a kid who has a long way to go unlike a typical 8 year who is getting closer to fitting but not quite there yet. How much higher are the chances of injury and death and what is the difference in the crash tests. I always fear what will happen but I been wondering if they would be ok in a typical accident. I would never take the chance with my kids life but so many do and I wonder just how bad it is.

ADS

skaterbabs

Well, the death rate for 0-4 year olds has gone down a great deal, but for 4-8 year olds it hasn't. After age 4, car crashes are the #1 killer, and according to the JAMA 2003 study, booster use results in a 59% reduction in injury risk vs the seatbelt. Part of that may be due to the c1 and c2 vertebrae still being multiple bones until kids are almost 6, but that's just my theory. 6 year olds still have a lot of cartilage vs bone.

tl01

I'm always surprised that little kids aren't at least in boosters from the perspective that they can't even see out of the car windows. Don't the kids get annoyed with not being able to see anything when they are driving?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC