Got my Cybex! *pic heavy*

firemomof3

So, got the new Cybex booster for dd1. First impressions are wow :) Fabric is soft but probably will snag easily, loads of impact foam, great side impact protection, latch :D, 7 year life span. Does not allow any overhang and the vehicle seat must be completely upright.
Very easy to adjust the height, latch is user-friendly and the booster installs quick & easy. Belt fit is awsome, high on the thighs and the shoulder fit is also ideal :thumbsup:
Now, for the heartbreaking part....it perches my dd1 forward and she feels like she's being "thrown" out of the booster. I can understand those horrible crash test images now, and I'm so bummed :(
cybex001.jpg

cybex002.jpg

Installed in the captains seat. You can see how the vehicle seat is reclined 1 notch but the Cybex is still very upright which is whats causing the "launching" feeling.
cybex006.jpg

Model is 32lbs. 4y/o
cybex008.jpg

cybex007.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

Any questions/pic requests make it today or tonight because its getting shipped back tomorrow.
I am in the process of getting more pics. with dd1

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
oh wow...so pretty and PURPLE!
But i can totally see what youmean...her facee in that last pic is like "WHOA!" the same kind of look you get at the top of a roller coaster as you start to fall forward....

twinsmom

Wow - I love that purple! Your DD is beautiful too. So, is she uncomfortable in it? Do you think you'll keep it?

ETA: Ooops, just saw your second post. What a shame. It looks like it has such potential....

christineka

I love that purple. I wish other car seat companies would get on board with neat colors. I'm sorry, I haven't been tempted at all by the cybex. The price tag was too much for me for a booster.

firemomof3

Here is our neighbor, she is 6y/o 52lbs. and 50" tall. *I have her mother's permission to post these pics*
I did a seperate "interogation" with both girls and got similar responses; "I feel like I'm falling forward"
The headrest is raised all the way up...so they both don't have much growing room.
cybex010.jpg

cybex011.jpg

You can see here how she's arching her back trying to keep her upper body back in the seat:
cybex012.jpg

Here is dd1 6.5y/o 45lbs. 50" tall (so about the same size)
cybex013.jpg

cybex014.jpg

cybex015.jpg

autumnlily

I don't recall your vehicle and haven't read the Cybex manual - but is it okay to recline the vehicle seat. I know the Sienna is "5 clicks" with a LATCH install... not sure about that when in booster mode.

Also, does the Cybex have a recline option like the turbo booster?

I guess I'm grasping at options - because I LOVE the look of that seat. The colors are amazing!

autumnlily

Just have to add - I love the complete air in the background, how well the end of the seat hugs the end of the vehicle seat...I hadn't noticed that before.

firemomof3

I don't recall your vehicle and haven't read the Cybex manual - but is it okay to recline the vehicle seat. I know the Sienna is "5 clicks" with a LATCH install... not sure about that when in booster mode.

Also, does the Cybex have a recline option like the turbo booster?

I guess I'm grasping at options - because I LOVE the look of that seat. The colors are amazing!

Yes, my van allows the recline of vehicle seat BUT Cybex does not :mad: I'm not sure if you can access the manual online but it states
"If the vehicle seat back is adjustable make sure the seat back is upright. The backrest of this booster seat must be firmly against the vehicle seat back"

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes, my van allows the recline of vehicle seat BUT Cybex does not :mad: I'm not sure if you can access the manual online but it states
"If the vehicle seat back is adjustable make sure the seat back is upright. The backrest of this booster seat must be firmly against the vehicle seat back"
This is interesting. Because I noticed that in my vehicle, the two FF seats I have installed will NOT have the back flat against the vehicle seat *unless* I recline it. Because my seats are angled, when I put the base of a seat flat, only the top of the back of the seat touches the vehicle seat and then there's a huge gap all the way down. Reclining the seat enables the child restraint to fully contact the vehicle seat.

Of course I can't say if that would occur with the Cybex since I haven't tried it, but I wonder what Cybex would say in that case? If it can't be installed with seat upright and full contact, then it's incompatible? even if it could full contact with a recline?

These manufacturers do NOT test these seats in enough real vehicles (if they test them in any real vehicles at all!).

firemomof3

These manufacturers do NOT test these seats in enough real vehicles (if they test them in any real vehicles at all!).

I agree with you 100%. They put so much time, money and thought into this booster but did they actually try it out?!! Its so frustrating! I really don't know the answer.

2BunniesMommy

It is so pretty! Too bad it has silly rules. The straight on pic of the neighbor girl is great! Can tell she is not liking it.

autumnlily

Funny thing is - Combi said the same thing for the CCO. Very specifically, just like the Cybex verbiage. After I called Combi, they said to go with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation. And, boom, perfect install. I heard Combi is going to revise (if they haven't done so already) the wording.

And, when you think of it - Sedans' have a more reclined seat back. Do you have another vehicle or a sedan to play with? Out of curiosity, how does it fit when your seat is reclined per the vehicle instructions?

Yep, still grasping for a hopeful answer!

canadiangie

Maybe call Cybex? Maybe send them a pic? They won't make any revisions to their manual (if they will at all) unless they get told about these issues.

And just out of curiosity, how many clicks back would you need to go to make things more comfy for dd and her entourage of friends?

firemomof3

I did already contact Regal Lager and gave them this link so that they could be a part of the review. If I were to go back 4 clicks it would be better BUT there isn't a formal recline feature so its awkward...its hard to explain.

Heather86

It's soooooo pretty :love: Those colors are tdf ! Sorry it's not worknig out though. You'd think they would have put at least a few kids in them to test them out before they made the design final :rolleyes:

Maedze

I do not interpret this to mean "0 degrees". I simply interpret it to mean that they don't want the seat unsafely reclined. I would be comfortable with the vehicle seat clicked back to a more natural seating position.

firemomof3

I'll try that tomorrow. But in the manual they are very clear about not wanting the vehicle seat recline at all. There is a pic. showing the vehicle seat fully upright...I don't know :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC