Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Wet suits?

Carseat Crazy

Wet suits?

Anyone got any advice for finding a wet suit for a 4 y/o? Thanks! Looking at shorty wetsuits, not full-length.
    Raechel, mom of my crew of now 5!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Wet suits?

Our Costco sells them. But we're in So. Cal. so it might be more common here.
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

LL Bean pink wetsuit
    Speedo UV Pink Thermal Suit
    Stohlquist Shorty Wetsuit - Kids'

My boys are using the Sizziling Cool wetsuits, bought last year at TRU.

ETA: Costco Children Wetsuit

I saw childrens wetsuits at Kmart the other day. I have no idea how great the quality was though or the price, maybe someone else could comment.

Carseat Crazy

Any sizing advice? Thanks, everyone!

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Do you need a real wetsuit or do you just want coverage? CWDkids.com has wetsuit-style suits with decent coverage for little girls:
    http://www.cwdkids.com/servlet/quagg...girls-swimwear

Also:
    http://www.bargainchildrensclothing.com/6540.html
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Carseat Crazy

We're wanting something for warmth. My 4 y/o has a mitochondrial defect, and getting too chilled causes her to use more energy than she needs to just to stay warm. We are a relatively ctive family, and we all love to swim. She's fine in a normal bathing suit during the peak sun times in the afternoon, but as the sun starts to go down, she gets chilled pretty quickly. We tried to do swim lessons with her last summer, and she got too chilled to keep it up...we're hoping a wet suit will help her do that, so that she can keep up with the rest of us (as best she can, obviously). We even tried an indoor pool (heated) and she still got too chilled there. So, we're trying to experiment with options here.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Oh, okay. (And I'm sorry.) The ones I've linked (and I've owned both brands) are regular swimsuit material and do not help hold in heat.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Carseat Crazy

OK, thanks, not a problem :

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4Girls View Post
    We even tried an indoor pool (heated) and she still got too chilled there.
    My neighbour's daughter (5yr old) uses a O'Neil thermal wetsuit and my neighbour says that her daughter is still cold while walking from pool to changing room.

The wetsuit has to be snug though. Do you have any sports shop you can bring her to so that she can try on for size?

I lose heat very easily and need hot cocoa/water once I am out of the pool even now.

Carseat Crazy

Not one that I've seen kids' wet suits in...I'll have to check again, though, now that it's getting to be more of the "water sports" season.

How cold is she? Is she like, turning blue cold, or just a little chilly? In the afternoons, my dd gets a little chilly, but nothing bundling into a towel can't fix easily. Our swim lessons through the Y (I'm not sure of any others locally?) are either early in the morning (9am) or in the evening (6 and 7pm)...none at the "peak" warm times.

Hmmm I'll have to ponder a warm drink after swimming. That hadn't occurred to me (LOL, the rest of us are usually just basking in being a little cooler than before we got in the water!). Maybe I'll try to find a thermos or something for her for after swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4Girls View Post
    Is she like, turning blue cold, or just a little chilly?
    she would be shivering wrap in a towel at about 70dF. Not bad enough to catch a chill.

I found the thermal wetsuits together with the diving suits at the sports stores. I just saw them in store at REI yesterday.

Carseat Crazy

Cool. The nearest REI store is about 90 mins from my house, but maybe another store closer will have something similar. If not, we'll travel up there, perhaps over the weekend. THanks!!