Where to buy kids' sunglasses that don't suck?...

Heather98012

I read an article a few years ago in a magazine (Parenting perhaps?) that had eye dr's rate kids sunglasses. Of the affordable options, Gymboree was the only one that TRULY blocked all UVA/UVB rays. I'm guessing Janie & Jack & Crazy8 would be the same since they are owned by the same company as Gymboree.

Knowing that, all of my dd's sunnies come from those stores. Plus, they last great. Might get some scratches, but never flaking off, etc. :thumbsup:

ADS

Mommy0608

Wow, I never gave a second thought to the safety of sunglasses! :eek: DD has a couple of cheapies, DS doesn't have any at all. Can anyone point me to some research/studies/recommendations about sunglasses and safety? I tried searching and can't come up with anything. I'm totally sold on needing better ones for the kids (we have a history of eye problems on both sides of the family), but I'd still like to read up on it and also show DH. If anyone sees any current deals on the Julbos, let me know! I can't find anything less than about $25 but I'll have to do some more searching. We're outside a lot, and the kids do complain about the sun. They have sun hats but I'd still like to get them some decent glasses. DD turns 4 on Friday... would the Julbo Looping 3 still be okay? She's got a rather small head percentile-wise.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

ETA: Just checked out the Bubble sunglasses. I think I'd probably go with those for her... hopefully she won't destroy them.

Last edited:

Athena

Can anyone point me to some research/studies/recommendations about sunglasses and safety?

I think I found something on the AAP's site, American Academy of Pediatrics, at aap.org. Sorry, I don't remember exactly now.

If anyone sees any current deals on the Julbos, let me know! I can't find anything less than about $25 but I'll have to do some more searching.

That's about the best I did. At opticsplanet.com, they are 26.99, but you can find coupon codes for 5% off by goggling their name + coupon codes and if you buy more than one pair, the shipping is free.

DD turns 4 on Friday... would the Julbo Looping 3 still be okay? She's got a rather small head percentile-wise.

My DD is almost 4 with a 30% head size and they fit her great. So well that I just ordered them again to replace the pair she lost. I haven't tried the bubbles so don't know anything about those. good luck!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Bubbles have hinges and can only be worn one way. The Loopings have no hinges, and can don't have a right side up. The Bubbles are basically the same size as the Looping III's. I got this info from Julbo USA customer service.

I bought our first 2 pairs at OutdoorGB. I have links to their site in post #15 in this thread. The 3's are US$23.97 plus shipping. Their shipping rates have always been really good to Canada and packages from the UK get to Canada much quicker than packages sent from the U.S.. Of course if U.S. folks can find a U.S. store with the same price and FREE shipping, then you'll be better off. :)

Mommy0608

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just get her the bubble ones then... she can put them on right side up without a problem, and it would be nice to be able to fold them to put into a hard case for school.

I'll probably just order from opticsplanet.com, since the shipping will be free if I buy a pair for each kid. The looping 3 style is $26.99, and the bubble is $27.99. I'll google for the 5% off code, thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

I wonder if the looping 3 (age 2-4) would be too big for DS? He'll be 2 in August.

ETA: I just ordered the looping 3 for DS and the bubble for DD. Can't wait to get their new glasses! Hopefully DS will wear them. I know DD will, she loves her cheapies (that somehow have to "disappear" now).

Last edited:

Athena

I wonder if the looping 3 (age 2-4) would be too big for DS? He'll be 2 in August.

They'll probably fit or fit very soon. We got them for DD2 at about 22.5 months old and they fit well. She does have a larger head percentile than DD1, but they are recommended for ages 2-4 so I'd think they'd be fine, unless he has a really small head. I hope they work out for you!

Mommy0608

Thanks. Both of my kids have small heads (less than 20th percentile, but I don't remember exactly what they are). I was afraid he'd outgrow the 12-24 month glasses too quickly (if not this year, then probably next summer for sure).

I just got an email that the bubble style is out of stock. BUMMER! They said they expect more in 5-10 business days though. I saw the Kola style on their site, a few dollars less, but they look a little more fragile than the bubble. Anyone have these?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC