Where to buy kids' sunglasses that don't suck?...

emandbri

I've bought lots of sunglasses and they all seem to get broken easily, stuff starts to flake off, etc. Elizabeth has a pair from gymboree that are in great shape don't know if it is because she doesn't wear them as often or because they are made better but it doesn't matter because they only have funky ones and I want plain black.

Thanks!

ADS

christineka

I'm searching for toddler ones with a strap. My kids' faces are too small for the regular kind. We have a pair with the strap from target. I haven't seen them there since. I'd like some sunglasses just for the van.

celtic1885

I'm searching for toddler ones with a strap. My kids' faces are too small for the regular kind. We have a pair with the strap from target. I haven't seen them there since. I'd like some sunglasses just for the van.

I *think* I've got a couple of those lying around the house. If you're interested I can search for them.....I do know that Target usually has them in the baby section (but sizes up through toddlers.)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Julbo Looping are the best I've found for young ones (there are 3 sizes designed to fit infant to age 4). DD currently has the Looping 3's. They fit her last year at age 2.5 and still fit great this year at over 3.5. She doesn't use the strap but we did use it when she was an infant and had the Looping 1's. What I really like is there are no hinges to catch in their hair and it doesn't matter what way they put them on because there is no right side up. :thumbsup:

Sorry though, no solid black.

Looks like they've also got a new styles this year for ages 3-5, the Bubble DD needs a 2nd pair so I think I'll pick up a pair of the Bubble style.

ETA: various shopping sites where they can be found http://www.google.com/products?q=julbo looping&oe=utf-8 (includes REI, L.L. Bean, Amazon)

SavsMom

Last spring/summer Target had them in the $1 bargain area at the front of the store. They were $1 each and they had some cute designs, I ended up with 5 of them and they have held up extremely well - no flaking, the lenses have also held up well.

I have been watching to see if they do something similar this year but haven't seen them yet.

aeormsby

We have a pair of the Julbo sunglasses also. They have survived DD trying to bend them in half and everything else she's done to them. They're getting passed on to DS this year.

We had some of the Babybanz & Target knock offs. They were a waste of $$. Maybe it was just the shape of my kids heads/faces, but in order for them to be tight enough to stay put they were plastered to their eyeballs.

emandbri

Thanks all, I'll try children's place and Cabela, I happen to be going to a mall with both tomorrow. Brian would be really pissed if I spent $40 on kids' sunglasses. :eek:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Brian would be really pissed if I spent $40 on kids' sunglasses. :eek:
Not sure if you're referring to the Julbo's (the Loopoings retail at $32 but I think the Bubbles retail at $40), but Julbo's have very high quality lenses in them in. They won't have irregular surfaces and distortion like cheap lenses, which can cause eye strain and fatigue. They also offer anti-glare protection which cheap lenses will not. Cheap lenses can be made of triacetate or acrylic that don't absorb 100% of UV rays. Cheap lenses can absorb as little as 40% of the UV rays. This means that they will dilate the pupil, due to the darker colour of the lens, and then allow MORE UV rays into the eyes than you'd have if you weren't wearing the sunglasses to start out with.

Just because a lens has a sticker which says it blocks 100% UV rays, does not mean it is so, unless you're getting high quality lenses from a reputable company. If a person decides to stick with cheap sunglasses, you can take them to your eye doctor and get them to test how much UV radiation the lenses block, then you'll know if they're safe for your child. Of course there is still the distortion, lack of scratch-resistance and lack of anti-glare coating on cheap lenses.

Just saying, there is a real reason for the higher cost of some glasses. There are also some higher cost ones that are more just because of a designer's name though, and can have cheap lenses in them as well.

ETA: and quality sunglasses aren't usually made in China like the cheap glasses in big box stores. For example, Julbo glasses are made in France, Maui Jim are made in Italy (MJ doesn't make little kids stuff; just another example)

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Techno, is there anywhere to buy these (Jublo) in Canada (B&M or online)? I'm interested in checking them out.
This store has them but their prices seem really high. I ordered mine from here (the looping 3's seem to be in a different category so there are found here). They're in the UK but Royal Mail service to Canada is awesome. Seriously, it's much quicker than postal service from the U.S. Their shipping seems to be about $8 for a pair, so seems cheaper than ordering from the U.S. or Canada anyway.

Wow, I dind't know there was such a market for kids sunglasses :eek:

Lol, my sis just gets a new pair every time we're at a Walgreens or Target- she's addicted... she does seem to prefer Chanels now that I think about it :rolleyes: she looks pretty good in them but unfortunately would break them which is why she gets $5 ones! more fun that way too, I must admit I love shoppingfor glasses with her! she has a variety of different colors and styles, they are perfectly good for a 19 month old IMO, $40 is crazy.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
they are perfectly good for a 19 month old IMO, $40 is crazy.
And many people would say the same about a booster for a 3 year old. I'm not saying cheap glasses are going to kill a child, so I don't need anyone going on about an apples to oranges comparison, but if you read my earlier post you would see that cheap glasses can keep the pupil open WHILE allowing UV rays into the eye which means MORE damage to the eye than if you weren't wearing sunglasses at all. There is a difference between cheap lenses and quality lenses. It's not the same as cheap clothing vs brand name clothing. And honestly, one "expensive" (and I quote it because seriously $40 is not expensive for a pair of quality sunglasses, mine are plenty more than that) pair of sunglasses for a child every 2 years is nothing. Eliminating the purchase of one cheap shirt from my wardrobe every 2 years buys DD her glasses (assuming I had to think of it that way or was concerned about the price). And those are retail prices anyway, I paid $25 for DD's.

Really no one HAS to spend $40, or $32, or $25. But try to not to put shocky faces and say it's crazy for people who do wish to spend that for a legitimate reason. If quality lenses aren't your priority, then FINE. The info was presented because the OP wanted kids glasses that didn't SUCK (i.e. break easily, have stuff flake off). Well for $5, what the heck do you expect? Ours have been stepped on, twisted, buried in the sand....not one scratch and in perfect condition. The info was presented for those who might be interested in kids sunglasses that didn't suck.

Ltaylor

We have a pair of the Julbo sunglasses also. They have survived DD trying to bend them in half and everything else she's done to them. They're getting passed on to DS this year.

We had some of the Babybanz & Target knock offs. They were a waste of $$. Maybe it was just the shape of my kids heads/faces, but in order for them to be tight enough to stay put they were plastered to their eyeballs.

This is the issue that I had with DDs Babybanz. I spent $15 on the suckers and I HATED them. She screamed when i put them on her.

We always get ours from The Childrens Place. 2 for $5. Even if they do break your not out a fortune. I always get 4 pr. I like the boys better than the girls so i always get her a couple boys pr in solid colors with the mirror tinting and a couple girls pr in cute prints.

Ltaylor

Not sure if you're referring to the Julbo's (the Loopoings retail at $32 but I think the Bubbles retail at $40), but Julbo's have very high quality lenses in them in. They won't have irregular surfaces and distortion like cheap lenses, which can cause eye strain and fatigue. They also offer anti-glare protection which cheap lenses will not. Cheap lenses can be made of triacetate or acrylic that don't absorb 100% of UV rays. Cheap lenses can absorb as little as 40% of the UV rays. This means that they will dilate the pupil, due to the darker colour of the lens, and then allow MORE UV rays into the eyes than you'd have if you weren't wearing the sunglasses to start out with.

Just because a lens has a sticker which says it blocks 100% UV rays, does not mean it is so, unless you're getting high quality lenses from a reputable company. If a person decides to stick with cheap sunglasses, you can take them to your eye doctor and get them to test how much UV radiation the lenses block, then you'll know if they're safe for your child. Of course there is still the distortion, lack of scratch-resistance and lack of anti-glare coating on cheap lenses.

Just saying, there is a real reason for the higher cost of some glasses. There are also some higher cost ones that are more just because of a designer's name though, and can have cheap lenses in them as well.

ETA: and quality sunglasses aren't usually made in China like the cheap glasses in big box stores. For example, Julbo glasses are made in France, Maui Jim are made in Italy (MJ doesn't make little kids stuff; just another example)

I was rather shocked at the price of them too. BUT I also did not know all that about the lenses either. I never even thought about all that.

$40 for a pr of kids sunglasses is high but if they are that great then why not ? I pay more than that more mine as does DH. Heck just my eye glasses were $300 ON SALE. I buy DDs shoes from pedipeds or StrideRite because they are better for her feet and walking.

Do these sunglasses flex or something to keep them from breaking ?

I was buying her sunglasses from TCP for the cheapness because of her being rough with them.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Do these sunglasses flex or something to keep them from breaking ?
Yes, very flexible and no hinges. And with just a teensy bit of web searching, you can find the Bubbles for for less than $40 and the Loopings for less than $32, that's just suggested retail.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC