Tell Me What's Next

Jonah Baby

Two of our seats are being outgrown (I think) and/or expiring soon.
They definitely need to be "replaced" with something. Help me figure this out!

We have two Wizards.
I think that J is nearing his torso growth for this seat.
Any clue how much torso this seat accommodates? (My manual is not handy.)
Note that his torso and height measurement in my siggy are not up to date.

Weather or not he is outgrowing them, one expires this August. The other has until the fall of next(?) year. It may even be this fall.

One seat lives in MIL's van. She does take J more often now and will take him much more over the summer. She has a 1999 (?) Caravan - no headrests, no TA's, crappy somewhat locking belts, etc. It is doubtful that she will ever get the chance to get TA's installed. The seat currently sits 2nd row to tether to the 3rd row belt.
Can any seat tether in this method?

The other seat lives with my parents. They MUST have a seat. They must also have a seat that installs tightly no matter how half-assed they do it because there are the rare occasions where they get him in an emergency or last minute and I cannot install it. The Wizard does very nicely for this. It also seems that this seats harness does not get mysteriously loosened too far, unlike everything else they've used. AND this seat is removed a whole lot less than any other seat I've given them, I think because its so big and a tad more confusing to them. They have an '05 Vibe and an '08 Yaris, the Vibe being the common transport vehicle.
Too bad its expiring!

So, J is BIG. He is solid all around. He gets his father's genes - the man was 6'1 and around 300, bouncer-build. He's also rambunctious. I don't expect he will be able to booster until...30?
I need long-lasting seat options that fit these scenarios well. They must also be real inexpensive ($100 is a HUGE stretch right now) - I would almost prefer buying second-hand from our swap to save money. Sometimes our BRU has real good clearance deals, so a seat that shows up there is good game.
I may sell my KF30 to help fund this.

Give me thoughts.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As for the seat for your parents' car, what about a Symphony 65 or something else with Evenflo's self-tightening LATCH? That way they can just hook it on and lean into it. It would take finding one at a discount, to be sure, but

For MIL's van, if it can tether to the back seat (since I truly have no idea,) a Maestro might be your best bet. It won't be J's last seat ever, but it will get you another ten pounds, and by the time he gains them you may in a better place financial to get a Nauti or better yet an F85, which it sounds like he'll need.

If the second Wizard does not expire until fall '11, maybe you could get a Maestro now(ish) for MIL, and give the Wizard with more life to your parents, since it works, gaining you a year to save up for something else? 20/mo would get you an F85, less if you can find a sale, although I definitely know even that can be hard to come by.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC