Is Volvo build in booster a HBB or backless?

ilo

The the build in booster 2008-2009 Volvo XC70 has, is it more like HBB or backless? Does it have height or weight restrictions?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The actual head rest in the car is there. The built in just makes the bottom of the seat higher and less deep, if that makes sense.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwRUSBRUSbk"]YouTube- Volvo Integrated Booster Seats XC60[/ame]

Sadly, I couldn't find this on the Volvo site, but it's on youtube....

christineka

It looks like it was designed for a 3 year old. That seat depth doesn't look supportive enough for an 8 year old.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Actually, I saw a 3 year old try it at the auto show. They fit pretty good. Not that I would ever use a booster for a 3 year old.

ilo

It is good to hear that it seems to fit young kids well. Do you think the weight limit is 30lbs? My boss has used one for her child since she was less than 2.5 (she thinks "huge carseats" older kids use look "ridicules") as she hit 30lbs. Of course she should not have her 2 year old in a booster but as she has anyway it is at least nice that the booster fits small kids. What a difference with me thinking DD is too small and young to FF at almost 3 & 30lbs and her thinking her same age & size child to be too big and old to be in a 5-point harness.

DahliaRW

My MIL has a 1999 (I think) volvo wagon with built in booster. It is in the middle, but backless. Because it's in the middle and the belt fits my ds1 well, I have no issue with him using it. There is head support from the vehicle headrest. The minimum printed on that one is 50lbs, but I made the parental decision to use it anyways since I don't see hwo the weight really well make a difference (after all, this is a swedish car and in sweden most kids would still be rfing before 50lbs).

mommycat

Does the shoulder belt in the Volvo adjust at all for height? I mean, boosting up like that might make the lap belt fit ok (although how well does this function in light of the physical differences in hip development for small kids? - undeveloped iliac crests etc) but what about shoulder belt fit on a range of heights? And I agree, it looks like it would be comfy for the little kids (probably those too small to sit properly or not submarine because their hips are too soft+rounded) but like perching on a ledge for larger kids. Hard to tell without a child to model it, though.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Volvo built in boosters are two stage, so they adjust to fit two sizes of kids. (Volvo's videos at lifesavers made it look like the belts fit the kids fairly well). They also extended the side curtain airbags to provide SIP for kids using the boosters. I don't remember whether the belts adjusted for height, but they do have pretensioners (safety feature) on those belts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC