Leaning seat install

toyarmy

Earlier I helped a friend install a SF air protect seat RF in her older model ford explorer (pre latch)

I started in the center. The belt would not wouldn't readilly feed back in, making a tight install... Impossible. So I went to the passenger side, everytime I'd start to get the belt tight it'd come undone, which naturally concerned me, so I switched to the drivers side. Got a super tight install, but the seat leans a couple degrees towards the center. She said her infant carrier did this as well. I tried all I could think of to straighten it up to no avail.

Is this a problem? If so, what can be done?

Thank you!

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Over time it will tip further and further towards the center. Typical problem for a lighter weight seat and a locking retractor. The fix...use a locking clip.

Remember the owner of the car and seat should be the last person to install the seat.

Susan

Misty-Bug

I agree with Susan. your goal is to educate the parents. I am not yet certified so after showing them how to install the seat I undo it completely and make them redo it. Yeah I am mean. lol.

like Susan said, a locking clip will help with the lean. The reason it is leaning is because the shoulder belt is locked. She should also get that passenger side belt fixed. It is not safe for any of the passengers, car seat or not, that would be in that spot.

Pixels

I am certified and I'm still not the last person to install the seat. I demonstrate and work out any problems, then pull the seat and have the parents do it.

toyarmy

i feel bad now that i didnt make an extra effort to show her how its done, ill make sure to do that in the future.

as for the locking clip. makes sense. ill suggest that to her.

thank you!

skaterbabs

Make absolutely certain the locking clip is being used correctly. It needs to be within one inch of the latchplate, with all four "feet" on the same side of the belt webbing. It should NEVER be on the opposite side of the seat or used when a passenger is wearing the belt.

skaterbabs

Yes, it is. Unless it's super wonky, and use common sense on what's too much leaning, it's not really an issue. Most of my clients chose to just reinstall, but a locking clip to prevent the tilt in the first place is not wrong when used correctly.

Misty-Bug

Make absolutely certain the locking clip is being used correctly. It needs to be within one inch of the latchplate, with all four "feet" on the same side of the belt webbing. It shhttp://www.car-seat.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1248703#ould NEVER be on the opposite side of the seat or used when a passenger is wearing the belt.

:yeahthat:

it should look like this. it is either going to be all the way in or out of the belt path. and if anything in this picture the locking clip should be a little closer to the male end. toward the buckel

June28013.jpg

this is all the way in
December12007002.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC