Need advice from experienced shippers

ChckLiz

Need advice from experienced shippers *UPDATE*

Okay everyone that's ever shipped a car seat.. I posted my seat on CL.. got an offer on it, thought the person was, you know.. in the area. No.. they're apparently in LA!.. I'm in KY.. this is the email they just sent to me.

Hello,
How are you doing? . The payment has delivered today via FedEx
today. Here is the tracking #. Kindly deduct your
money with extra $80 for your running around, and get the rest of the
money which is meant for the mover sent to the mover via money gram
as soon as you receive the check . So that they will be able to come
for the pickup today. You will have to send the money to the
information below which is for the agent in charge of the pickup via
money gram

Kindly get back to me with the money gram transfer details after you
might have send the money, such as;

8 Digit Reference Number??
Sender name and address as written on the money gram receipt???
Exact amount that you send after you deduct the transfer charges???

NB: Let me know if the address you gave to me is the same address for
the pickup location?

Thanks, as i wait to read from you soon

Regards

I have NO IDEA how to do this!! I don't understand anything that they're talking about.. I'm hoping it's not a scam.. just checked the tracking number on fedex and it's definitely in KY.. I'm not doing anything until I for sure have the money. What the heck is a "money gram"??? :( Help!

Just wanted to thank you guys for all of your advice :) I reposted my stuff on craigslist the day after this happened and both of them have already sold! Now I know how to tell a scammer from a real person.. so that definitely helps!! Oh and I really didn't think someone would use my crazy title "Tommy's Gone Crazy" but everyone did! So thank you!!!

Last edited:
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
DON'T!!!!

It's a scam. Refund the Paypal and don't ship the seat. (Edit: Oops. Refuse the FedEx package. Did you give them your home address?)

ChckLiz

Thank you VERY much, Ill have to tell DH to be watching for them today and tomorrow and tell them we refuse the package. It's very depressing though.. I was counting on that money to fund for a better RF seat *DH wont let me get one while we have 2 perfectly good seats*.. darn.

idale

Ouch, yeah, scam. :( What they do is they send you "too much" via a check, then have you wire the "extra" somewhere, and when you go to cash the check you find out that it's worthless (so you sent them some free money).

Hopefully you'll find a real buyer soon, though. :)

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Yup, scam... never ship or accept $ wired or paypal or anything

One way I found to beat the scammers on craiglist when I post an ad, is put a line at the bottom of the ad that states something like "you must reply with the phrase "Bob's Dream Chalet" or something utterly ridiculous as the subject line when replying or the email will be deleted as SPAM.

Then when you see the generic "reply to sale XXXXX @ craigslist" you know that one is junk. Interested people know the spam deal.
:twocents:

ChckLiz

So fedex just stopped here and I told the lady that I refuse the package please send it back. That was way too easy lol. Thanks for the advice about how to get real intersted buyers! I'm going to give that a try!!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I would have contacted the police in case they wanted you to do something different with the FedEx package (maybe they want to catch the scammer). I'd call them anyway and let them know what's going on.

I'm not doing anything until I for sure have the money. What the heck is a "money gram"??? :( Help!
I know you're not taking part in this and have refused the package with payment, but just to let you know, the payment would have been fake. Basically, it would be real enough for you to get the money from it, then you would have sent that money gram using your own money. The first payment would have been found as fake and the bank then takes the money back from you. You then no longer have the original payment AND you've sent money via a moneygram that you can't get a refund on, so you're out that money. And you're carseat might be gone in the process as well.

ChckLiz

Well I got an email last night from that person that said "you need to call fedex asap and get the money sent".. haha I just deleted it, haven't heard anything from them today.

I just reposted my car seat and other item I was trying to sell on there again. Told people that if they're interested to email me with the title "Tommy's Gone Crazy" lol it's all I could come up with.. we'll see how this goes! Keeping my fingers TIGHTLY crossed.. I really want to get Jonah a TF or two if I can get my other item sold as well!!

BTW, does this sound good?

Looking to sell! I have a Recaro Como car seat for sell. It has only been used as a back up seat in my husband's car one or two times a month for the last year! In great condition! It has never been in a wreck, never ate in, no stains and no wear and tear! Recaro is a great brand. The company makes race cars and was the first to introduce complete SIP (side impact protection) so they definitely know their stuff! I got this part from someone on BBC.. so I'm only assuming it's correct :eek:

Here are some specs on it:

"Rear facing 5 to 35 lbs
Forward facing 20 to 70 lbs

Plush microfiber fabrics
are removable and
fully machine washable.

The RECARO Como convertible car seat is an excellent choice for parents who want a high quality, long lasting car seat for their growing child. Thanks to its 5-70 lbs weight capacity, forward or rear-facing convertibility, and adjustable harness and headrest, the RECARO Como may be the only carseat you will ever need. The Como convertible child seat is a safe and comfortable seat that features RECARO Side Impact Protection (SIP), plush microfiber fabrics, and a thick adjustable headrest.

The RECARO Como convertible is an all-purpose car seat that works through most of your child's early development, providing safety and security from infancy on until age 4 or 5. During trips short or long, the generous padding and deep wings of the RECARO Como car seat will keep your child safe and comfortable. For your benefit, the Como's back cover ensures that your vehicle's valuable seats will not be torn or damaged - it also minimizes outside interference while routing the harness."

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I wouldn't delete any e-mail from the scammer, I would save it in case the police contact you. Presumably the scammer knows your address and wrote a cheque to your name, so it is possibly the police may contact you with questions if others have reported this individual.

Have you reported it to the police yet? There is a cheque out there floating around with your name on it, so I'd be concerned with fraud now.

christineka

As for your ad, I'm not an expert, but have read and written a few. I'd check the grammar. Instead of "I have the recaro como for sell." It should be "for sale". Also, it has never been "eaten" in, rather than "ate" I just say that we do not eat in the car, so there aren't any icky food crumbles or stuff in the seat. I'd also change most of the apostrophes into periods.

Good luck selling!

steph_s

If you want to sell your seat quickly on craigslist, put less information! I have no idea why it works like that but it does. The seats I put loads of information on get over looked and the ones with minimal information get the most replies. If I was putting an add from your seat on craigslist I would simply do something like this.

Recaro Como convertible car seat for sale. Used in a spare vehicle and is in like new condition. No accidents, rips, tears or stains. Asking $xx cash only.

Link (I include a link to somewhere online that sells the seat so they can look up the specs and original retail price).

To avoid scams and spam please change the tittle of this posting to XYZ otherwise I will assume it is spam and delete.

If they want to know the DOM or any other specs about the seat they will email you. Don't forget a picture the more the better! I have no idea why but people like to see the front, and side view of the actual seat not a stock photo. Anyways that is what works best for me to clear out the car seat clutter in my house as quickly as possible.

vonfirmath

If they want to know the DOM or any other specs about the seat they will email you. Don't forget a picture the more the better! I have no idea why but people like to see the front, and side view of the actual seat not a stock photo. Anyways that is what works best for me to clear out the car seat clutter in my house as quickly as possible.

I know why -- so they know for sure the seat is not junk. You can have a junky-looking seat and post stock photos and someone wastes their time going out there to find it has crumbs and a big blue ink spot and... etc. I know for other stuff on Craigslist, I want an actual photo of YOUR item, not a stock photo. I know what it looks like new.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC