Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Outdoor ride on toy for almost 2 yo? Recs?

DD2 will be 2 this summer. When she tried the tricycle, she can't reach the pedals and uses her feet to scoot, resulting in ramming her little feet into the rear of the tricycle, and even causing the rear of this light plastic tricycle to actually lifts up and almost tip.

So we are looking for a replacement that she can scoot along on that is more her size. Kids seem to like those little tikes push and ride toys. She might be a little tall for it, but probably wouldn't mind. I definitely want something that is not prone to tipping and will be fun and easy for her to use and enjoy. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Athena; 04-15-2010 at 05:01 AM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Outdoor ride on toy for almost 2 yo? Recs?

My 2yo grandson is just starting to learn pedaling, but I know he loves this scoot around toy at his day care: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-20-Scoot-About/dp/B000FIOB2A"]Amazon.com: Radio Flyer Scoot-About: Toys & Games[/ame]

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

I'd look for a balance bike for her if you think she'd like one. Yeah, kids can fall over in them, but they figure out balance really quickly. I wanted to buy one for DS when he was 20mo, but he wasn't tall enough for a strider until he was closer to 32mo--he's tiny, though.

Our outdoor riding things are a balance bike, a three-wheel scooter, and a radio flyer car (metal, retro looking, rubber wheels). He has a plasma car at one set of grandparents and a tricycle that he can *just* now reach the pedals on at the other set.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

My son (tall, but short-legs) didn't fit his Specialized Hot Walk balanced bike until 2.5 (30 months)

The Strider appears to fit kids smaller. But your child is probably still too small.

At that age, I recommend teh Cozy Coupe or the Little Tikes Push and Ride Racer ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Push-Ride-Racer/dp/B00005850H/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1271168034&sr=1-52"]Amazon.com: Little Tikes Push & Ride Racer: Toys & Games[/ame])

This latter is what my son liked the best at that age (between 18 months and 2) I went and bought something "similar" that I found cheap at thrift (Mickey Mouse airplane), and he never liked or could use it as well as this Racer. So if I had it to do over, this is what I would get (friends had it so he got to play with it multiple times at that age). The seat is low enough to easily get on, and it also sticks up in the back so they can push it around if they want instead.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

We ended up getting the Radio Flyer ride on toy for C when he was 2. It looked like a big kid bike, but without pedals. The seat adjusts so he could use it for a while even with his long legs.

http://www.rideonvehicles.com/Radio-...t-FLY1020.html

It is so durable that it even stands up to A riding it as fast as he can across the backyard!
    Karen
    A: 11 C: 9 M1: 5 M2: 6 months
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]

CPS Fanatic

Thank you all for your recs! The balance bikes look interesting, but we haven't even gotten her big sis a bike yet so that wouldn't go over well.

I like the look of the Cozy Coupe or the Radio Flyer Scoot About. But I read some complaints of kids running their feet into the rear wheels of the Radio Flyer Scoot About and we are trying to avoid that. Anyone had the problem? I like that it says the steering really works. Is that right? The main complaint I read about the Cozy Coupe is about assembling it. Any comments on that? Also, does its steering really work?

Thanks!

Senior Community Member

DGS has a cozy coupe and the scoot about. He loves them both, but uses the scoot about more. He can really move on it and it really does steer easily.

9. Thank You from:

I got this for Matthew who's 28 months, and he adores it. It has swivel wheels so goes in any direction. I actually got it off CL for $20!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Radio-Flye...urtle/10268839
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

THere's a couple other threads similar, if you didn't see them - I think coffee break section.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

12. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by cookie123 View Post
    I got this for Matthew who's 28 months, and he adores it. It has swivel wheels so goes in any direction. I actually got it off CL for $20!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Radio-Flye...urtle/10268839
    That is so cute! Checked Walmart's webiste, but I got, "We found no stores within 50 miles..." I have been looking on CL, but didn't find anything in my area. Sounds like that was a great find!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie123 View Post
    THere's a couple other threads similar, if you didn't see them - I think coffee break section.
    Thanks. I'll take a look.

A Plasma Car? They can definitely push and scoot along and then once they figure it out they can do the wiggle as well.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    A Plasma Car? They can definitely push and scoot along and then once they figure it out they can do the wiggle as well.
    I hadn't thought of her using that as a scoot toy that she could grow into the rest of later. I'll have to try to find one at the store for her to try and see how she does. Thanks! I appreciate all the good ideas!

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

My son on the plasma car at 2y3m:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jocelyndale/3796927208/

I didn't include pics of *me* on it, but here is a photo my mother took of my 84-year old grandmother.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

Levi has a skuut bike, which he LOVES.

He is tiny, he will be 3 this summer and is smaller than some 18month old kids we know. The skuut you can assemble upside-down, so it fits tiny kids really well. Its also great for learning to balance and ride a real bike!

I got it from amazon, free shipping!
    Mama to my awesome environmentalist kid Levi! (google him if you'd like!)
    7-13-07, 55", 62lbs
    Rearfaced to 8yrs, 9months (is now 10) Still boostered!
    CPST as of 6/19/08!

Check out your local thrift store? My in-laws got this ducky for my nephew when he was 18 months or so. He LOVED it! Now my dd is loving it too
    Attachment 6937
    Last edited by featherhead; 06-04-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

19. Thank You from:

My kids haven't had any problems with the Radio Flyer scoot about. (And they escape plenty of times into the backyard without shoes). It was one of the only ride on toys that C didn't get his big ol' feet stuck in when he was learning to ride. Yes, the steering really works which is why my boys still scoot it and race it across the yard! They can steer into obstacles (no, there are no words missing; no typos. )
    Karen

Oh! And check your local freecylce as well. The cozy coupe shows up all the time on ours.
    Karen

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by scoutingbear View Post
    My kids haven't had any problems with the Radio Flyer scoot about.
    Thanks! This is on sale at Target.com and I decided it was a sign! I'm hoping it's easy to put together.