Throw some suggestions at me.

kidzndogz

My mom asked me the other day if she can have her own car seat for the Shrimp. Uh, yes mom, duh. lol.

I have NO idea how often she'll be transporting him. Depends on how soon I start work and if/how often she watches him. I think she just wants to take him out to show him off, which is fine by me. She's excited, if she wants to take him to Target just because, then go for it mom. :p

I asked her what her criteria were. She's boring and wants something black or gray. Easy enough. Also said she would rather wear him than lug an infant seat, so the car seat will stay in the car.

It will be taken out and put back a lot, as they fold the seats down to do stuff pretty often. So *my* criteria is that it's very easy for her to install.

Original thoughts were to give her my SS1, then my MA when he fits because the MA is *so* easy. But my SS1 has been dropped so many times (fallen off the garage shelves, out of my trunk, all sorts of escapades), used through 6 kids, and generally had a rough life. I'm kinda nervous about using it. I don't know why...plastic looks fine. Just a feeling. I'm weird.

Can't give her the MA right off the bat, he won't fit.

MR would be good, but not as easy to put in. I guess it would be ok. Just prefer the wham-bam-thank you ma'am of the MA.

CCO, install ease issues again. Plus it would suck to buy a black CCO with all the pretty colors available.

Was thinking she'll just have to use my Keyfit until he's big enough for the MA. I'll have to take the base out and give it to her every time she has him.

I'm afraid she's gonna go buy her own and it'll suck, lol.

Ok, ramble over. I'm just having fun going through the car seat catalog in my head.

ADS

Kaede's_Mom

What about just getting another separate base for the Keyfit for her to use?

What kind of car does she drive, does it have LATCH?

barnmama25

I dont know about aybody else, but I thought the MyRide was just as easy to install as the Marathon, or any other Britax for that matter. It would probably need a rolled towel or pool noodle, but I'm sure you would check the install before they take off right?
Have you tried any seats in her car before? Maybe you guys should just head over to a baby store and play with everything they have, that way she can test them out and she will know how to use it (if you find one, that is) long before baby gets here.
Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a dropped seat either. And besides, it's your first baby. Who doesn't want new things for their first child???
Sorry for being vague, there are just too many seats on the market to say "Hey that's the one!!" Besides, what if something new comes out between now and August?

kidzndogz

Keyfit bases are stupid expensive and I don't want to spend money (or ask her to) on something that won't last long. My Keyfit is the 22.

And duh. I'm a tech and didn't include specs at all. Nerd. :eek:

She's got a 2008 Infiniti FX. Will be installed passenger outboard.

TerisBoys

I agree with what they said - a spare base for the KeyFit. She can still leave it in the car and just carry him, but that opens up your options for convertibles once he gets past the squishy newborn stage.

Then whichever convertible tickles her fancy/that you agree with/installs easily in her car. EFTA might be one to check out, and the other Evenflo convertibles.

kidzndogz

I dont know about aybody else, but I thought the MyRide was just as easy to install as the Marathon, or any other Britax for that matter. It would probably need a rolled towel or pool noodle, but I'm sure you would check the install before they take off right?
Have you tried any seats in her car before? Maybe you guys should just head over to a baby store and play with everything they have, that way she can test them out and she will know how to use it (if you find one, that is) long before baby gets here.
Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a dropped seat either. And besides, it's your first baby. Who doesn't want new things for their first child???
Sorry for being vague, there are just too many seats on the market to say "Hey that's the one!!" Besides, what if something new comes out between now and August?

I've installed a MR before and it's not hard...but for someone who hasn't installed a car seat since the 80's, I dunno. I already have a MA, so I figured I'd utilize it and it's perfect for easy installs.

I'm sure TONS of new stuff will come out. That's why this is speculation for awhile. Besides, if anything new and awesome cool comes out, it's MINE not hers. :p

barnmama25

LOL!!! I know how you feel, I always kept the new things in my car and gave the cheap seats to my ex and my mom!!! And it never fails, everytime I buy a seat, something better comes out and I kick my self in the behind for not waiting.
What can I tempt you with.... how about an OnBoard35.... or a Combi Shuttle33... oooh how about a cute little Maxi-Cosi Mico? Or if all else fails and you just want to go cheap until you can use the MA, they still have the cheap Safety 1st Starter infant seats at Wal-mart, BRU and K-mart (possibly Sears too?) with up front harness tighteners.

Ok I'm sorry I made these all blue, but they are so darn cute!!! Have fun shopping!!

ETA: Now that I posted this, unless you really want to get a new seat, the Chicco bases are still going to be cheaper than buying a new seat.

kidzndogz

Yeah I don't really wanna buy a new infant seat. I don't even wanna spend money on a base. If I (or her) am going to spend money on something new, I'd rather it be a convertible so it lasts.

Although I just totally contradicted myself. I don't wanna buy a base because it won't last. But why the hell would I buy a convertible if I wanna use the MA?

Ugh, I'm going to bed.

OTOH, I'll need a convertible too after he outgrows my Keyfit. Oooooo that's gonna be fun!

soygurl

If you're looking for easy to install, maybe see if evenflo's "SureLATCH" works in her car? I know it has major issues in lots of vehicles, but in others it really is crazy easy. The Momentum (40/65) that's on the horizon might fit a newborn well (the EFTA does pretty well and the Momentum looks similar but with a better infant insert maybe)...?
At least you have plenty of time to think about it and/or wait for new seats to come out! :p

kidzndogz

If you're looking for easy to install, maybe see if evenflo's "SureLATCH" works in her car? I know it has major issues in lots of vehicles, but in others it really is crazy easy. The Momentum (40/65) that's on the horizon might fit a newborn well (the EFTA does pretty well and the Momentum looks similar but with a better infant insert maybe)...?
At least you have plenty of time to think about it and/or wait for new seats to come out! :p

oooooo the Momentum! :doh: Good excuse to get one. Hope they're released before August (or July actually).

I'll have to try the Symphony's Surelatch to see if it's a good match.

And Kimberly, I guess I could teach her to install baseless (I've never done a baseless KF, are they easy? SS1s and Snugrides are a dream to me. Chaperones baseless are not. at all). But that's practical. You're supposed to be suggesting fun things. :p;)

Okay so we've got:

1. Buy spare KF base
2. Baseless KF
3. after #'s 1 or 2, switch to the MA
4. Convertible from birth that's easy as hell to install.

Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather keep the MA for myself because at least I can use fun covers on it. Why waste a MA on someone who wants black or gray??? I've got a Fido and Barnum just calling the Shrimps name.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I used our KF22 baseless a few times. I didn't find it particularly challenging.

I think I'd give her a towel to fill the space with a newborn.

Susan

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Don't buy a base, that's a total waste of money. She'll need a convertible anyways.

I think my first choice would be the KF baseless, if it's do-able. If she's like my mom, who also hasn't installed a seat since the 80s, she's probably teachable, despite the fact that she's tech-challenged... if you're patient enough to teach her.

Do you think she could handle pool noodles? What about a Scenera? Fits from birth, will last a decent while, it's cheap? (I've never found mine difficult to install, even pre-geekdom, but I guess I've discovered I was a geek pre-geekdom so maybe that's a moot point, lol.)

Otherwise, maybe an EFTA? They come in boring colors and may be "the only seat she'll ever need," short a booster. Especially if you can wait for the 40/65 model. They do fit newborns well, right? I've only installed them with LATCH, but I don't recall them being hard (well not hard to get in... I can NEVER get that dang LATCH to loosen!!!)

Spam

I :love: my coccoro! Install wasn't as difficult as I was expecting, it was actually quite easy. I can't wait to use it with the bean. In the meantime i'll be using it with my niece when I watch her, she's so little compared to A. And black really wouldn't be bad, my blue is already dirty and it's only been rode in three times :eek: OH, plus I can have the front seat all the way back and it doesn't touch the cco :love:

You can always wait and see what comes out before then.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
How about the Avenue? Nicer than the Scenera but I think comes in gray/black and not so pricey as some for an occasional use seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC