dh was in a (very) minor crash

crunchierthanthou

Some lady backed into him while he was at the gas pumps. She was cited.

I called our seat manufacturers. Combi confirmed that they follow NHTSA's stance on replacement. Graco stood by their "replace after any crash" policy.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the at fault's insurance, but I'm trying to figure out what to do. He has a Reese GN that he Loves. capital L. but he'd be absolutely giddy to ride in a booster, which I'm already planning part time in a few months. We have a Radian (which is lent out at the moment :rolleyes:) that he's okay with as long as he gets to ride ff. We have a looong (850 miles, at least 12 hour) road trip coming up. We have a HB Turbo that I do like. It fits him very well, as they often do.

So, 5y4m, very mature, but skinny kid. I don't think he's quite 40 lbs yet. WWYD?

Buy a new GN and put the Reese cover on it?

Have him ride in the Radian for awhile (at least through the car trip) and buy a fancy schmancy new booster, ie: Oobr or X-Fix?

FWIW, here's the damage -

0412101356-1.jpg

the worst is that the metal is bent up above the light. any chance they'll total it out? :p

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
For that long of a trip, I'd want him harnessed. That's a LONG time for anyone to remain in the proper position.

How does the GN fit him as a booster? Thinking you could purchase a new Nauti, use the old cover and then eventually use the Nauti as a booster.

Susan

Spam

Bummer! Sometimes ya have to think Graco's any crash policy is a bit much. I was just thinking I didn't take any pics of the car after dh's accident last week :eek: it's much worse than yours and would have had to replace seats, but luckily I didn't have any in there since he/we never take the car anymore with A. I'd be tempted to buy a new nauti. Is he comfy in the radian for a long trip? If so, you could go that route and let him pick a cool new booster to use in the future. I did see the new Breaker Nautilus at b'rus yesterday and I really like that cover.

crunchierthanthou

yeah, Susan, that's what I'm thinking. I for sure want him harnessed for that long of a drive. I just don't know if it's worth buying a new combo seat. He adores the GN cupholder and cubby, though. The Frontier 85 is complete overkill for him.

I haven't tried it as a booster. He has no butt, though and from pics I've seen the lapbelt rides a bit high on skinny kids.

I guess I should go switch it for the Turbo in case we have to go anywhere.

crunchierthanthou

I did see the new Breaker Nautilus at b'rus yesterday and I really like that cover.

breaker, huh? I'll have to check that out. Admittedly, I'm the one attached to the Reese. I love that it's all plush/no mesh.

He hasn't been in the Radian much more than to check the fit. He didn't object to it, though.

Joyofbirth

Take this from someone with a kid who loves with a capital L a seat that she no longer has to ride in, get him another GN. If he really loves it and is comfy, I'd go with that. When you're ready to go full-time booster, you can either use the GN or get something new and snazzy. Who knows what boosters will become available?

Splash

Eh, just keep the seat. That wasn't a crash. It's no more than taking a baseball bat to your back windshield. He was completely stopped at the time and she barely tapped him, I assume. You know that it is outside the realm of possibility for that seat to have been damaged.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm glad Splash said it, 'cause it crossed my mind, too. I know it's not "by the book," but really... it seems to be on that line of bump vs. crash. And it's far below NHTSA guidelines.

Was the lady's car damaged?

crunchierthanthou

that's what I like to hear! :p

I almost typed "meh, that's no crash" as an option.

I asked dh when it happened if it was just a crunch or a bump. He just said, "well, the car really moved." I just went downstairs to drill him about it some more. Her Jeep had a cracked bumper and he said it was like slow-motion as slow as she was going. He yelled, but she still didn't stop.

I'll see what her insurance says if they ever call back. :rolleyes:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I just can't get over the fact that she was cited.

I have never heard of anyone being cited for that minor of a crash. Heck, things like that police usually don't even get involved. Did she spit at the cop or something?

Anyway, yeah, I don't think I'd replace the seat. :whistle:

Mommy0608

Uh yeah... I think I'm in the "that was not a crash" camp. Really, how much stress could have been put on the seat? I'm a "better safe than sorry" type of person, but I just don't see how this could have caused any sort of damage to the seat.

Carrie_R

DH was there, and I assume aware of the geekiness and importance of CPS to you... did you ask him if he felt the seat needed to be replaced?

The area where the belt runs through is essentially upright metal bars, so while it may not be Radian strength, it's not Dorel plastic, either, lol. The only thing I would *maybe* be concerned about is the LATCH strap, if you had it installed with LATCH... the seatbelt, being thicker, would concern me less.

The citing does sound strange, though, and was the only thing to give me pause. Was it necessary for insurance purposes?

Based on what you've posted here, if it were my seat, I'd let common sense prevail and not replace it. (FWIW, I had a bump/crash involving a booster which I opted not to replace, so it's not a do as I say not as I do, lol.) But, if there's any question in your mind, then it's worth the peace of mind to get a new one.

crunchierthanthou

anyone want to take a stab at the repair estimate?

also, I did bring up replacement explaining Graco's stance. The company is in California. Their policy is that they replace it no questions asked if it's occupied (it wasn't). That's consistent with CA law, but creates a tricky situation when it is a more severe crash with an unoccupied seat. The agent said I could talk with a manager, but I didn't press the issue. Ds has still been riding in it, so I'm obviously not concerned about the safety of the seat. :eek:

Carrie_R

$1050. That's my guess. ;)

I'm sure if it were a more severe crash, you could push the issue and get them to reimburse. I would think between Graco's stance and your tech status, somehow it would get done. Luckily you're not worried about it, so it's a moot point, lol.

emars002

hmmm is the hood bent? When someone hit my van it cracked the light and bent the hood - it was over $4000. Without the hood, i'll guess $1500

crunchierthanthou

$1050. That's my guess. ;)

that's about what the assessor who works for the insurance company said...

close! The repair shop said $2,200 when we dropped it off earlier. They called this afternoon and said there was more damage behind the light. I don't actually know the exact total, but I'm guessing around that.

hmmm is the hood bent? When someone hit my van it cracked the light and bent the hood - it was over $4000. Without the hood, i'll guess $1500

no, the hood was dented on the corner but not bowed.

Carrie_R

Good gracious. That's a teeny little dent! (Ok, not really, but -- you know what I mean!)

No wonder anything major leads them to just total out the vehicle.

BudgieStew

Personally I would buy another GN to continue as his primary seat ..but that is just me. I'd get a booster for booster training sometime in the near future though. My DS is just a bit older then yours and around the same weight and although he fits/sits well in his Monterey I am more comfortable with him in his GN.

You know if you happen to buy a GN and it has a Simpson cover on it I am totally willing to take it off your hands. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC