Which car seat for an ambulance?!

firemomof3

My dh called me and asked what car seat would be good to buy so that they are able to transport a child safely if needed. It would be installed in the captains seat which faces the back....so how would you transport an infant :confused:
I was thinking the MyRide because its so easy to install both rf & ff
ANY help is greatly appreciated :)

ADS

Maedze

You really don't want to put a seat there. The belts are usually not compatible with child restraints (ELR lap belts).

The best bet is to use an integrated restraint in the captain's chair, or to purchase a restraint designed to be integrated with the stretcher. Ferno makes a few options, and I believe SafeGuard does too. You don't need to worry so much about infants at that point...everyone in the stretcher is rear facing.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Thats a very good suggestion :thumbsup: But how would they install it for an infant...since rf would actually be ff, plays with your head :rolleyes:

In the front seat next to the driver?

IDK, and I don't think there is an easy answer. From what I understand, ambulances can vary dramatically in set-up. Both those seats have a ffing recline mode normally, so I would guess you could get a fairly decent angle for a small child if you install it on the rfing seat AS IF it were ffing reclined. It would certainly not be best practice, but it would probably be better than no seat at all.

Maedze

In the front seat next to the driver?

IDK, and I don't think there is an easy answer. From what I understand, ambulances can vary dramatically in set-up. Both those seats have a ffing recline mode normally, so I would guess you could get a fairly decent angle for a small child if you install it on the rfing seat AS IF it were ffing reclined. It would certainly not be best practice, but it would probably be better than no seat at all.

No. There is no 'off' option for the airbag, and you cannot have a patient in the front compartment...no way to access or treat the baby there.

(If you are being tongue in cheek just ignore me :rolleyes:)

safeinthecar

No. There is no 'off' option for the airbag, and you cannot have a patient in the front compartment...no way to access or treat the baby there.

(If you are being tongue in cheek just ignore me :rolleyes:)

I actually assumed there would be an off switch. (The cargo van version of the van chassis most of the local services use has an off switch?) I also assumed that the child was just along for the ride, not the patient.

Jennifer mom to my 7

well..... I know I have discussed this extensively with my dh, and he knows the importance of at least keeping a child restrained while in the back of an ambulance (he has btdt). He says alot of times, if necessary (of course the real thing would be NOT to have to transport another child as an extra, etc) is he/they would use the harness straps from whatever. Like the ones to strap a patient on the gurney, etc, to secure the child seat to the rear facing seat. Also, he has secured the patient to the gurney, and then secured the child to the gurney, somehow, he has a better description than this, so that they were separate, in case of collision, but together, so to speak. You have to do what you have to do in these cases, and best case is NOT to have to transport a child with an adult patient. And someone posted a great how to in the articles section on how to transport a child as a patient in a carseat.

Maedze

That is so bizarre. It is standard equipment on the Ford 350/450 cargo series.

The front area is really not intended for anyone but the crew. VERY occasionally you might have a passenger up there, but it's a huge liability for the service. You're also putting yourself in the awkward position of having an unattended minor alone, up front, with a stranger person.

Who KNOWS what kind of person the parent is. Crazy/mean/vindictive patients could certainly use the opportunity to accuse the driver of inappropriate behavior. *shudders*

safeinthecar

and my gmc conversion van has the off switch. Hmm, wonder if dh knows if their vans had them (although most of the city rigs are boxes).

The box rigs are usually on the F350/F450 frame. Unless they are the big big ones that look like semis, those are usually Freightliners (I'm not sure those even HAVE a passenger airbag)

swtgi1982

the one time they transported my DD they took her seat out of my van and strapped it to the seat. She was having a seizure, so they took her out to check her and the other medic put her seat on the seat then they put her back in to go. honestly though I agree with the symphony 65 infinite slide means no waiting to adjust harness and also 65lb limit makes use for more kids possible, Also washable padding good for medical use should a child bleed on it or other....

Maedze

the one time they transported my DD they took her seat out of my van and strapped it to the seat. She was having a seizure, so they took her out to check her and the other medic put her seat on the seat then they put her back in to go. honestly though I agree with the symphony 65 infinite slide means no waiting to adjust harness and also 65lb limit makes use for more kids possible, Also washable padding good for medical use should a child bleed on it or other....

Again, there is no suitable position in the back of an ambulance to restrain a CRS.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Again, there is no suitable position in the back of an ambulance to restrain a CRS.

Except, if the child is the patient. But, my dh has also installed seats ON the gurney, like in the thread in the articles section, for the PATIENT, which it sounds your dd was.

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=116017

But of course, in this case, they would try to get parent to go in different vehicle, not in the ambulance.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

There are no APPROVED spots, but are there lesser-of-many-evils?

If a child has to be in the back of an ambulance, is it better for them to be held in a parent's arms? Strapped directly to the gurney? Strapped into the car seat, which is strapped to the gurney?

Obviously if the gurney is taken and the rear-facing chair doesn't have usable seatbelts, then it's probably a somewhat moot point.

I thought someone posted a study one time showing that the most desirable (though still not approved) method was to put the car seat on the gurney with the gurney's back in a an upright position, then to use the straps of the gurney through BOTH belt paths. That assumes a convertible seat, of course.

Obviously a system made specifically for ambulances is ideal, but a lot of departments can't/won't purchase those.

Maedze

Except, if the child is the patient. But, my dh has also installed seats ON the gurney, like in the thread in the articles section, for the PATIENT, which it sounds your dd was.

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=116017

But of course, in this case, they would try to get parent to go in different vehicle, not in the ambulance.

My daughter was not transported in an ambulance. I am a former full-time paramedic, with ten years in EMS. This is why I specifically referenced Ferno or SafeGuard systems, which work with the stretcher.

I too have 'installed' child restraints on a stretcher. You can actually achieve a reasonable 'installation of a convertible seat on a stretcher. You can try with an infant seat, although it won't pass muster if the box flips upside down.

Maedze

There are no APPROVED spots, but are there lesser-of-many-evils?

If a child has to be in the back of an ambulance, is it better for them to be held in a parent's arms? Strapped directly to the gurney? Strapped into the car seat, which is strapped to the gurney?

Obviously if the gurney is taken and the rear-facing chair doesn't have usable seatbelts, then it's probably a somewhat moot point.

I thought someone posted a study one time showing that the most desirable (though still not approved) method was to put the car seat on the gurney with the gurney's back in a an upright position, then to use the straps of the gurney through BOTH belt paths. That assumes a convertible seat, of course.

Obviously a system made specifically for ambulances is ideal, but a lot of departments can't/won't purchase those.

If a child MUST be in the back of the ambulance and is a patient, the ideal situation is a Ferno adapter on the stretcher. Next best scenario is a convertible 'installed' the way you suggested.

If the child is NOT a patient, providers should do their absolute best to secure another form of care for the child that does not involve a child in the ambulance. Barring that, I'd use the internal harness in the captain's chair.

The seatbelt on the captain's chair is generally a lap belt ELR and the other belts are belts on a side seat.

Jennifer mom to my 7

My daughter was not transported in an ambulance. I am a former full-time paramedic, with ten years in EMS. This is why I specifically referenced Ferno or SafeGuard systems, which work with the stretcher.

I too have 'installed' child restraints on a stretcher. You can actually achieve a reasonable 'installation of a convertible seat on a stretcher. You can try with an infant seat, although it won't pass muster if the box flips upside down.

Hence my point. If necessary. None of the NYC/private NYC units have these. at all.

If a child MUST be in the back of the ambulance and is a patient, the ideal situation is a Ferno adapter on the stretcher. Next best scenario is a convertible 'installed' the way you suggested.

If the child is NOT a patient, providers should do their absolute best to secure another form of care for the child that does not involve a child in the ambulance. Barring that, I'd use the internal harness in the captain's chair.

The seatbelt on the captain's chair is generally a lap belt ELR and the other belts are belts on a side seat.

As far as I have been told (by dh) none of the units in NYC have this either. And I said the same thing, they should try to find alternate transport for the other sibling, other caregiver, etc.

Also, hence the reason my dh would use other "straps" to secure the seat to the rf jump seat, if NECESSARY.

There is a reason my dh is out of ems right now, and most of these scenarios are part of it:(

But, this is one of the things he is willing to talk to me about, and how he transported children/adults with children, that needed it.

Just to add, so Maedze, you understand, he actually did 200+ calls a week, himself, not as a company, kwim? He literally did 200+calls a week, by himself and a partner.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC