Question Traveling with a Radian...

kidnurse

I have a question for those that travel with their Radian's. How much do you worry about it installing well in a rental car? Has anyone found this to be an issue?

We are taking a trip at the end of the month and I can't decide which carseat to bring, Radian80SL, TF or Scenera. Any suggestions? (we would be using seat RF-ing)

ADS

mommycat

I haven't travelled with the Radian but I considered it. I ended up travelling with the MA and the Scenera. Given the choice right now, I'm pretty sure I would pick the Scenera as my travel seat - lighter, smaller, fairly simple install, fits in most vehicles, I wouldn't cry if it was damaged during the trip.

leighi123

I havent had an issue in any car yet (aside from my own subaru where I HAVE to install it outboard)

If you get a rental car that it doesnt fit into, you can get the rental company to switch cars. Also it depends on what you are renting, if you get a van or something big, it will most likely not be an issue vs renting a compact car.

There are also some rental companies that let you choose your car when you show up (they give you an 'aisle' to pick from based on the type of car you paid for), and in that case you can just choose one it fits well in.

I love my Radian for travel, I wear it as a backpack and it fits nicely on the plane, I can usually install it rearfacing if we fly economy plus! (its nice forward facing too though so ds can use the tray table)

NVMBR02

So far I haven't had an issue with any of the rentals I have tried it in. I only used it rear facing 2 or 3 times.
I really haven't had many issues with installing the Radian, especially when I have been able to use LATCH.

Pixels

With only one kid and a rental vehicle (new), I'm not worried. The seat can go RFing in the center between the two front seats like it does in my compact car, or I can install it outboard with LATCH and brace it against the driver's seat.

Of the seats you own, first I would pick the RN with backpack straps. Second choice would be Scenera because its lightweight. My last choice would be the TF because it's big, awkward, and heavy, with no real way to carry it easily.

kidnurse

I wanted to rent a van, so space would not be an issue at all, but it was way too expensive for a week and a half. We are going with a mid-size, and two children in carseats. My son will be RF-ing, but I bet anything my cousin has her 2 y.o. FF. My son :love: the Radian and we will be in the car for at least two 3 hr trips, but I am worried about lugging such a heavy carseat and then the fit factor. I like the idea of the Scenera because I wouldn't be upset about anything happening to it. Actually plan on letting it go after the trip, so it would be no big loss if something happens to it. I am just nervous about having DS in it for so long. We have never used the Scenera much, so I don't know how comfortable he would be in it for the long rides.

vonfirmath

When my son was a month past two, we went to Florida with my cousin and her daughter (who is 3 weeks younger than my son). My son was RFing in his Roundabout 50. Her daughter was FF in her Scenera. there were no problems between the two kids. Also, her kid seemed comfortable enough despite travelling Columbus, OH --> Desitin, FL --> Columbus, OH in that seat.

vrclay

Thinking about traveling with our 2 Radians (XTSL) - should I worry about damaging the headwings? Can someone explain how to wear them like backpacks? Has anyone successfully worn a carseat and a kid? Kid would be in an Ergo, front carry. Boy would that be a site to see.

ETA: We'll be installing them RFing in a 2004 Honda Odessy - hopefully in the 3rd row. Any install tips also appreciated.

Pixels

Just take reasonable care not to abuse the headwings. If you're carrying on, you'll be in control of it, and it shouldn't be a problem.

There's little loops of black on the back of the seat. One near each hip, two in the center near the top (I think level with the tether strap), and one on the side at about the same height. One backpack strap came with your seat. You attach the backpack straps to those little black loops. I highly recommend two straps, especially if you'll be wearing baby as well.

I recently traveled by myself with DD. Until I got the bags checked, I had DD (2yo, 24 pounds), Ergo with backpack accessory, Radian XT, and two rolling suitcases. DD chose to walk and "help" push the suitcases. Once we got through security, I put DD on my front, Radian on my back, and walked with two free hands. I put the Ergo on first, and leaned the Radian up against a wall or something. Put DD in the Ergo. Then stand up and put the Radian on. It was heavy. The Radian is 20-some pounds, plus DD, plus a full diaper bag. Probably close to 50 pounds, but at least it was balanced. I did have bruises on my shoulders after, but it was better than trying to hand-carry a carseat or have DD walk through the whole airport. It was also great to have hands free when I stopped on the layover to get food - no running-off kid to worry about, and two hands to deal with money and the food.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC