Combi shuttle--like the rebound bar, don't like the past recall.. would you use?

a_js

So, I've been looking at infant seats.

I like the Combi Shuttle--it has EPS foam, a small base, and a no-rethread harness. I like the rebound bar.

I see an incredibly good deal on Albee Baby (the Flare Travel system for $159) and that fits our budget way, way better than spending that much on a Keyfit alone, which I was going to do.

Buuuuut... I really am leery of buying anything that has had problems big enough to justify a recall in the past. Is this rational, or silly? I mean, presumably they've fixed the problem.

Thoughts?

ADS

NVMBR02

All carseat manufacturers have recalls at one point or another so unless the seat has a current recall I wouldn't worry about that. I would use, say, an evenflo infant seat that has had multiple recalls for the same problem though.

I haven't used a Combi infant seat but I really like my Coccoro. :)

Pixels

Not all manufacturers have had recalls, but many of them had. Some of the most popular, "safest" brands have had the most recalls.

I have seats from brands that haven't ever had a recall, and I have seats from brands with recalls. Unless there is a pattern of recalls, or I know the history of the recall and there's something fishy about it, it doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in knowing if the seat has a current, unrepaired recall.

If it bothers you to buy a seat that has been recalled in the past but is now fixed, don't buy it. If it bothers you to buy from a company that has had recalls on other seats, don't buy it. By doing so, you will limit your options, but you need to get something that you are comfortable using.

NVMBR02

Thanks I should have said most instead of all.

Actually I shouldn't even reply when it is late here and I haven't slept. :eek:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Keep in mind that not all recalls are for "serious" issues, either. Sometimes they're over things as minor as an incorrect phone number or poorly placed tag. Not that that's the case here; just saying.

I don't see recalls as inherently bad things. Often they're really good. Would you want a seat with a hidden problem or one that has been identified and fixed?

For me, personally, the way the company handles the recall says a lot, too. Do you want a seat from a company who avoids issuing necessary recalls and drags the cases out with the government for years trying to do so? Or a company concerned enough that they create a new, more realistic testing device to guarantee more accurate results with their products in the future? Combi did the latter. I have no qualms about buying their products, but that's a personal decision.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC