In need of 4 booster seats- need recs

S

spoileddani

Hello everyone, this is my first post here as I just found this board in my search for the safest booster seat for my son x's 4 (my car, husbands car, MIL's car, dad's car). Consumer reports seems to have VERY little info on highback boosters. If possible, I would like to not spend a ton...but I don't want to cheap out on safety.
My son is a lightweight which is why he is still in his carseat though, he is now too tall for it. He is 4 and 1/2, 33lbs and approx. 42in tall. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you so much!

ADS

April

The general recomendation is to not move to a belt positioning booster full time until 4 years old AND 40lbs. That being said, the 40lbs becomes less of an issue once the child reaches age 5-7. Has your son every ridden in a booster before? What might be an idea is to get him a booster for the car(s) he's in least and put him in a harnessed seat with taller top harness slots in the primary vehicle. That way he can be booster trained (taught how to sit properly) in the other vehicles while he gains some weight and matures to the point where he can stay seated properly on longer trips (most 4 year olds can't).

What seat is he in now that he has outgrown? Can you please measure his torso height? (Sit him back to the wall and measure from the floor to the top of his shoulders.)

In any event, booster seats that fits smaller kids well are the Graco Turbobooster and the Recaro Vivo, which are both relatively inexpensive ($40-$70 I believe). Harnessed seats that fit slim tall kids well are the Graco Nautilus ($150ish) and the Evenflo Maestro (under $100).

cookie123

Yes, what April said. Boostering is not recommended until 4 years and 40 lbs at a minimum.

I would recommend what she did - either a Nautilus or a Maestro. Another option would be a Britax Frontier. Do you have other children in the car?

cookie123

Also just thought I'd add - a forward facing car seat is outgrown if the ears go above the shell, the weight limit is met, or the shoulders go above the top harness slot.

Jan06twinmom

I would also recommend a harnessed seat for your DS. I have a very small DD - she's 5 years old, weighs 35lbs and is about 40in tall. One of the concerns I've read about small children is submarining in a booster seat.

The Maestro would be a good affordable choice. Another one to consider is the Evenflo Chase. The Maestro has taller harness straps than the Chase and it's good to 50lbs in the harness. However, I think you would be fine with a 40lb harness limit on the Chase.

The Nautilus would be my top pick though if money was no object.

You might even want to consider some combination of these seats - maybe the Nautilus for the main car, the Maestro for the secondary car and the Chase for the other vehicles.

HTH

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC