How bad is it, really?

cpsaddict

A friend of mine is using a Snugride for her 2.5mth old and has been doing a GREAT job keeping the straps tight. However, the other day she shows up with one of thos double headrests in the seat. I told her about the aftermarket issue and the padding issue, but she insists that baby likes it and won't give it up. So, how bad is it, really? If you get right down to it, if the straps are VERY snug, is baby at a major risk of injury? FYI, the base is installed so tightly you can shake the car with it. Please help me feel better about this little sweet pea.

Oh, and she has a Brooke Marathon already waiting for her! Mom got it for $242 last week. She HATES the rear adjustor Snugride with a passion! :) I tried to tell her.:rolleyes:

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i think that the main issue is that they havent been tested so no one really knows what may happen. the biggest issue that i have heard about is when it interfears with the harness straps going back into the seat at the proper location. her snugride didnt come with a head support of its own?

Kellyr2

See, when my 1st was a baby, we had one of those double head support things and it just went behind his back and then of course over and around his head. It didn't attach to the seat in any way.

Splash

As long as it's not affecting the routing or tightening of the straps, and it's not something bulky behind or under her head, I wouldn't worry excessively. True, it might be better off with it, but maybe not. Most people use those with their babies, and if kids were getting killed or injured from head huggers, we'd hear about it.

southpawboston

i see it as one of those "gray" areas... technically it is not okay, but as mentioned above, if it is not interfering with the harnessing by increasing the slack, then it should be okay. put it this way: there are a lot worse aftermarket products.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
As long as it's not affecting the routing or tightening of the straps, and it's not something bulky behind or under her head, I wouldn't worry excessively. True, it might be better off with it, but maybe not. Most people use those with their babies, and if kids were getting killed or injured from head huggers, we'd hear about it.

echo echo echo.... Have I heard this before?

:D

cpsaddict

Thank you!!!
This is one from Babies R Us. It is the double one, but it has MAYBE an 1/8" padding behind baby. It's really thin. Her straps are still super snug, like not pinching any slack at all.
I agree that if babies were getting killed or injured, we'd know!
You guys have made me feel better. This little punkin is like my niece, so I want to make sure she's safe(well, I want all little one's safe, but this one is special! :D )

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thank you!!!
This is one from Babies R Us. It is the double one, but it has MAYBE an 1/8" padding behind baby. It's really thin. Her straps are still super snug, like not pinching any slack at all.
I agree that if babies were getting killed or injured, we'd know!
You guys have made me feel better. This little punkin is like my niece, so I want to make sure she's safe(well, I want all little one's safe, but this one is special! :D )

I once helped a grandma put in a snoogy soft little premie headrest, that was considerably less 'in the way' of the straps fitting well than the graco headrest that came with the seat! I wonder if the seat was safER with that smaller headrest... Those mondo graco headrests are so stiff and icky (well, they are better now, but the older ones? ugh)

cpsaddict

I totally agree about the Graco headrests. The aforementioned Snugride DID come with a headrest and while it is somewhat soft(at least as soft as the cover), it is huge. This poor baby's head is still swimming in it at almost three months. In a way, I don't blame her for getting it. The baby IS happier in the seat. Usually she just screams unless the car is moving. With the new head thing, she just sits there and looks around.

Splash

echo echo echo.... Have I heard this before?

:D

Ahem.

Be it known by all men present: Julie has taught me well, and written things too simplistically for me to reword. I am a plagiarist. From now on, I will state:

"In the event that mass numbers of minor children are becoming deceased due to the implementation of said product, to our attention it will be brought, and we shall have awareness of such fact, and therefore shall advise against purchase and use of said product until further notice."

broken4u05

I totally agree about the Graco headrests. The aforementioned Snugride DID come with a headrest and while it is somewhat soft(at least as soft as the cover), it is huge. This poor baby's head is still swimming in it at almost three months. In a way, I don't blame her for getting it. The baby IS happier in the seat. Usually she just screams unless the car is moving. With the new head thing, she just sits there and looks around.

The sugrides the twins had can with 2 headrests like the doubles like you are talking about but they came with the seats and they were not big at all. I loved them. Even though the twins are 15 months now i want them back in the infant seats. It was so much easier with 2 that way.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Ahem.

Be it known by all men present: Julie has taught me well, and written things too simplistically for me to reword. I am a plagiarist. From now on, I will state:

"In the event that mass numbers of minor children are becoming deceased due to the implementation of said product, to our attention it will be brought, and we shall have awareness of such fact, and therefore shall advise against purchase and use of said product until further notice."

well...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ahem.

ROFL! :D

I was just kidding, yunno...I'm so honored to be quoted I could just burst...:cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC