Vent Car seat misuse

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
My mother... I could beat her. LOL

I gave her a really nice condition Cosco Scenera. She rarely needs a seat, I think DH had used it 3 times...I installed it, the whole 9 yards...showed her how to use it etc

I had her pick my daughter up from pre-k yesterday for me, my car was in the shop.

She gets to the house and has THIS in the van... (Evenflo Generations DOM 10Feb05)

There is 1 crotch buckle missing, so she only used the other 1... (on closer inspection afterward I found the buckle UNDER the car seat, like it fell thru the fabric AND shell.) I about had a heart attack! I said WTF are you thinking??? Where is the seat I gave you???" "your sister traded me, she said this was nicer..." Seriously??? Nicer??? The arm rests are missing, the cup holder is broke (who cares) but where the heck is the top of the seat??? like the whole top is missing!!!

I think I could kill my sister now too!

:eek::eek::eek:

I confiscated it, told her I will buy 1 more seat, but if she gives it to my sister again, I will be sending her a bill for it! I don't know if she thinks I am serious, but I really am! I can't believe her, especially since she knows how crazy anal I am about my seats!

Last edited:
ADS

skitle1802

I'd make your sister either reimburse you or take her to the store and make her pay for the seat you pick out.
My MIL uses the seats I give her with my nephew and DH's Cousin's DD but she knows they are still mine,she takes good care of them and doesn't give them away.

macmomma

Guess your sister is pretty smart- if someone would trade me a nasty seat like that one for an nicer Scenera I would go for it too:)
Does you sister live in town? I would drive by her house and tell her that you are ready to trade back now or better yet, you are here to pick her up to go car seat shopping with you since you need a new one now:)

littleangelfire

well, it would've been nice if mom noticed the sis's seat wasn't nicer, or had thought to ask you first, but the bigger one to blame is obviously your sister. Sounds like she knew what she was doing.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
On the other hand... your sister's kid(s) are now riding in a fairly good condition Scenera on a regular basis, instead of a broken and potentially deadly seat. (I assume the Scenera is now *somebody's* primary.)

I wouldn't be mad, I'd be thankful, but only because DD got home okay in that seat and the damage was only potential and not actual.

However, that doesn't mean it was okay, and both sis & mom need a talking to about seats that are at least minimally functional. (At least it wasn't expired?)

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
On the other hand... your sister's kid(s) are now riding in a fairly good condition Scenera on a regular basis, instead of a broken and potentially deadly seat. (I assume the Scenera is now *somebody's* primary.)

I wouldn't be mad, I'd be thankful, but only because DD got home okay in that seat and the damage was only potential and not actual.

However, that doesn't mean it was okay, and both sis & mom need a talking to about seats that are at least minimally functional. (At least it wasn't expired?)

To tell you the truth....I haven't seen the Scenera in her van...unless her ex got it in his car...

"at least is wasn't expired" <--- That came as a HUGE shock to me!!!! I was sure that it was going to be! UGH!

Kat_Momof3

I'd be beyond livid... okay... I know the buckles can fall through the cover, but it's clear to me that, when adjusting harness height, they didn't bother to ensure the buckle went through the seat shell, let alone the cover.

what the heck happened to the armrests?? (I know they have to be removed to get the cover off for cleaning, but as they are REQUIRED for booster use (though not for harnessed use), how is it she didn't put them back on after... and what did she do with them??

Now the part that has me the most confused is how she got the headrest off... as (having had a bolero... cheaper version of generations) I know that sucker is on there firmly and would NOT be easy to pull off.

Your sister clearly needs a good kick in the pants about what she pulled and on how she could even think this seat was safe for ANY child.

oy...

I'd confront your sister, get your seat back or have her pay you for it... and then make sure either she or you gets a new one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC