Oh my goodness

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Here is a News article from our provincial paper and couldn't believe it. One more reason to never leave your children unattended in the vehicle!

ADS

JaRylan

Someone was talking about that on my regional board last night...I didn't bother to google it last night as I was tired and I didn't want to read something upsetting before heading off to bed. I had no idea that she drove off. That is weird that the son never woke up with all the commotion going on (I'm assuming that the man who freed her would have been making some noise). Tragic and senseless.

canadianmom2three

I saw that last night as well, and thought it was so sensless and avoidable. There seemed to be some conflicting stories, but at any rate,very sad:(

southpawboston

very sad indeed! :(

on a side note, newer cars are switching to "pinch-proof" power windows, which will stop when they sense too much resistance. i don't see why they didn't have them long ago!! (though that's no excuse for leaving your kids unattended in the car!)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Someone was talking about that on my regional board last night...I didn't bother to google it last night as I was tired and I didn't want to read something upsetting before heading off to bed. I had no idea that she drove off. That is weird that the son never woke up with all the commotion going on (I'm assuming that the man who freed her would have been making some noise). Tragic and senseless.

You would think he would have been making noise. And to think that she picked her up, put her back in her seat and drove for another 40mins before she noticed anything!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
on a side note, newer cars are switching to "pinch-proof" power windows, which will stop when they sense too much resistance. i don't see why they didn't have them long ago!! (though that's no excuse for leaving your kids unattended in the car!)

That's kinda cool! What a great idea.

Morganthe

I remember reading an issue of Consumer Reports that discussed power windows and incidents of death by closure. It was either in the summer of 2003 or 2004. :confused:

There was a very good analyzation of the types of window switches and what were the most dangerous. Basically, they're the switches that worked on a 'rocker' premise. Front part pushes down to open the window & back part pushes down to close window. I can't remember the list of vehicles that had it, but to my disappointment, they were mostly American manufacturered. Standards are changing, but there are a lot of older cars that have the rocker/toggle switch that easily is activated by an elbow or knee weight. :(

The article stuck in my memory enough that when I was looking at my Toyota to purchase, I checked the switches on the windows just to make sure they couldn't accidently be activated. They're the type that push down in the front to open & pull UP in the front to close the window. I can also deactivate the rear window switches too.

Rates right up there in bizzare accidents just like what I read last week about 2 toddler deaths by seatbelt last year. Now there's a warning going out that if you use LATCH, ensure you buckle up the 3pt seatbelt or secure it out of reach of the child to protect against the child grabbing & wrapping it around their neck.

broken4u05

ok she picked her up. All i read was the the son was in the front and that the man put the girl in the front as well and than she drove off. It didnt make sence. that is really sad. I used to sit in the car with my sister when we were younger when my mom ran in but we were older than 3 or 6. I dont think we were younger than 10 and might even be older than that

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC