Do all infant seats have Latch?

macmomma

I was wondering.... I took my FS sister to a doc appointment the other day (She is going to be placed with me in a few days and I am getting familiar with her medical needs)- well, anyhow- the infant seat the other foster mom handed me for her was a SafeSeat with base. The base had no Latch strap and I was wondering about that, I did ask her and she told me it never had one. I know the seat was bought brand new by social services for that child. Did she cut the straps off (would not have surprised me) or does it really come without Latch? I could not the base tight in my car with just the seatbelt so I went ahead and but baby in her brothers TF (he was in preschool and not with me) that was installed in my car.

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Maedze

Yes, any infant seat made after 2001 has LATCH. ALL Graco SafeSeats have LATCH. The LATCH strap is sort of tucked up under the wings of the base so perhaps you missed it?

The SafeSeat is incredibly easy to install with the seatbelt. In fact, that's one of the best features of the SafeSeat/SR32/SR35....the seatbelt install can be done blindfolded with one hand ;) What was the problem you ran into?

macmomma

Me again :)

I just googled SafeSeat and the seat she gave me was NOT a SafeSeat- the base looked very different then the pics I just looked at at google- weird!

I thought it was a SafeSeat since the cover on the seat said SafeSeat....

macmomma

Yes, any infant seat made after 2001 has LATCH. ALL Graco SafeSeats have LATCH. The LATCH strap is sort of tucked up under the wings of the base so perhaps you missed it?

The SafeSeat is incredibly easy to install with the seatbelt. In fact, that's one of the best features of the SafeSeat/SR32/SR35....the seatbelt install can be done blindfolded with one hand ;) What was the problem you ran into?

I wished I had taken a picture of it:( The was no Latch- I turned that base inside out, upside down looking for it.
The base seemed not wide enough to fit between the seatbelt- not sure how to explain it. After buckled up it was sliding left to right waaay to much at least 3-4 inches even when pulled really tight- well as tight as I could get it.
Okay- wait I remember that the buckle on the seat was a puzzle plastic one and a pain in the butt. The straps were all twisted and I had to try to untwist them.

macmomma

Oh dear, I wonder if social services is handing out frankenseats, or expired seats?

the bucket had a DOM of june 2009 but there was nothing on the base- not stickers whatsoever- wondering now if the base belonged to that seat:(

Gosh- I can not wait to have her placed with me and knowing she will be safe in the car:eek:

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
What are the chances that it was a FlexLoc with LATCHloc, the rigid LATCH base? I know they were recalled, but there are some still out there in date.

macmomma

Maybe I misread the SafeSeat sign- I was sure it said SafeSeat but I could have been wrong:eek:
The base still looks different then the one she handed me- this is scary.
I did try to put the bucket on the base but could make it fit really- thought it had to do with the base being so lose:(

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question:)

macmomma

What are the chances that it was a FlexLoc with LATCHloc, the rigid LATCH base? I know they were recalled, but there are some still out there in date.

Not sure what those are but there was nothing attached to this seat- just a blue flimsy base. The part where the belt goes thru had a very wide opening up top to where it was hard to keep the shoulder part of the seatbelt tucked in on the base. next time I see this seat I will take pictures:)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Not sure what those are but there was nothing attached to this seat- just a blue flimsy base. The part where the belt goes thru had a very wide opening up top to where it was hard to keep the shoulder part of the seatbelt tucked in on the base. next time I see this seat I will take pictures:)

I'll bet it was a Safety First then. I know when I did a seatbelt install w/ one the LATCH strap got in the way and the mom wanted to cut it out. I advised her not to, but maybe someone didn't stop on this base. Your description of the base seems like the designer 22 possibly.

Here is the only picture I have of the base. Yes, that is a locking latch plate, but due to the angle, it would not hold locked. Belt stalk is twisted 3 full times and still not working. My only option was the lc.

IMAGE_339.jpg

Pixels

Any seat or base that has no stickers on it has been altered, and really shouldn't be used because you can't determine DOM and model number for recalls and expiration, no installation guides, and you can't even tell if you have the right base for the seat. Not to mention, if they did that, who knows what else they did (such as removing the LATCH straps, perhaps).

Not all LatchLoc bases were recalled (mine wasn't). Mine expires either this month or next, I don't remember and it doesn't matter because it's not in use and I already disposed of it. :(

It doesn't fit OP's description of "flimsy" and "blue." LL bases are solid, heavy, metal-filled, and black with some gray.

macmomma

Nope- I did not recognize the base:( This is so weird. It really was very light weight and seemed flimsy. No name, sticker or anything on it to identify it because I was looking at the DOM on it:(
With any luck that will be the same seat she will give me when she hands over the baby and I can take pics and dispose of it at the same time.
She is big enough to be in the TF and I really do not care for the bucket seats anyway:)

Kat_Momof3

well, curiosity has me wishing you could get pics so we could identify the seat!... but yes, I agree, getting her placed with you would eliminate the safety problem for her (I just worry about what next child would go in the seat)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC