Outboard or center?

ChckLiz

Just wondering this.. I'm going to be buying Jonah a TF within the next week or so for my car. I finally have my black como sold.. just waiting for the check in the mail from the lady that bought it. I almost was going to get a Nautilus.. DH isn't about to compromise with Jonah RF in his car past 2. I do kind of see where he's coming from though, the seats block his view almost completely, he has a huge blind spot! So I've said at 2 he can ride FF in his car in the other como. But.. Jonah doesn't ride with him but MAYBE once a week.. usually they just stay home the one day DH is here with him while I'm at work so I can live with that.

Now.. since I'm going to get a TF and as it seems that it may work outboard better than a como because it doesn't have a base.. would it be alright? I don't have side air bags and that worries me a bit. Just wondering what all you very smart people would do? lol

TIA! Also thanks for motivating me to RF him past 2! :thumbsup:

ADS

canadiangie

I would, without hesitation, put him rear facing outboard.

One of the things I tell the families I work with is that we need to keep everyone safe in the vehicle. Part of that includes a seat set up that allows for shoulder checking.

I think you'll find the sides of the TF to be quite deep and very protective in terms of head containment -- especially when used rear facing. :)

abigaylebelle

Have you tried putting the como behind the driver's seat? Just thought I'd check because then it won't be in his blind spot.

ChckLiz

Yeah we've tried there and right now it's on the passenger side.. I've drove his car so I definitely know what he's talking about. If it's in the middle it blocks pretty much the whole view.. it really just doesn't work in there. I am happy that we've made it this long though with him RF in there.. DH wanted it FF when he turned 1 because of the blind spot but I told him absolutely not until he was two.

I thought about it more last night and whenever I get the TF I'm going to try it in his car and if it sits lower and all that, I'm probably going to try and sell the 2nd como and get a 2nd TF and keep him RF all together :D that would make my day! I don't have high hopes on selling the seat though as I've been trying for about 3 months to sell the other one!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I thought about it more last night and whenever I get the TF I'm going to try it in his car and if it sits lower and all that, I'm probably going to try and sell the 2nd como and get a 2nd TF and keep him RF all together :D that would make my day! I don't have high hopes on selling the seat though as I've been trying for about 3 months to sell the other one!

That sounds like a great plan, I was just going to suggest it :)

As to your original question, remember that RFing outboard is safer than FFing center. (Even tethered.) The amount gets less as he gets older, but at 2 -- or less than two -- I would say it's still significant.

It does sound like your husband has a reasonable point, though, and it is important that he be a safe driver. I've seen it pointed out on here that the car seats are the last line of defense; more important than that are safe driving skills and a safe vehicle. (Not that that means we should ignore best practice, of course.) If, after two, he needs to turn FF for once a week, the world doesn't end... especially if he's still RF in the main car. I'd still try to figure out how to keep him RF first, though, and if you do turn him, make SURE you tether. (No tethers, keep him RF until they're installed.)

ChckLiz

As to your original question, remember that RFing outboard is safer than FFing center. (Even tethered.) The amount gets less as he gets older, but at 2 -- or less than two -- I would say it's still significant.

So what about RF center? Does it make much difference when they're RF? I've had his seat center the whole time I've had it because I can't fit him between and my door frame when it's outboard *hoping I can with the TF.. it'd make it easier getting him in and out!*

ChckLiz

Oh and we both need to get tethers installed in our cars! I thought DH's car had them but the manuel says to take it and get them installed.

mommycat

Center is always a bit safer given correct installs because it places the seat as far away from any potential impact as possible. But if outboard works better, then it works better.

As for getting him in and out, I always thought that having the seat center was a lot easier - I could sit in the car facing the seat, get comfy and out of the elements, even shut the door if it was raining or snowing. With the seat outboard, I have to stand outside and also be more careful about no cracking hs head open on the doorframe. I guess it is personal preference, though.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So what about RF center? Does it make much difference when they're RF? I've had his seat center the whole time I've had it because I can't fit him between and my door frame when it's outboard *hoping I can with the TF.. it'd make it easier getting him in and out!*

RF Center is the safEST way for a child to ride in the vehicle since, as MommyCat said, it is the furthest from any possible point of impact. But, given the choice between a seat the only installs acceptably RF outboard, or the possibility of a FF center install, my time on the board here has led me to say that I'd choose the RF outboard every time. The difference between RF and FF is greater than the difference between center and outboard, 500% vs 40% (or maybe it's 60%.) (I am not certain of the center vs outboard figure, but I know it is a smaller % than the RF vs FF figure.) So, if we run with the 60% figure, he is 440% safer RF outboard than FF center, kwim? The decrease in safety by moving outboard is greatly overcome by the increase in safety by being RF.

That said, a proper install (and properly secured child) in ANY position is the most important thing.

The TF should make your life much easier in terms of avoiding the door frame :) It's very low profile, second to only the Radian. If it were easier for me to put the child in the seat while it's outboard vs center, I would quite possibly make the "parental" decision to go ahead and do that, knowing that the safety difference is so great by having them RF. But of course with only one child, "best practice" is center RF, with a good install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC