I'd like some opinions... maybe I've sent my goal too LOW??

mrs_teeee67

I'm in the process of working on my daycare contract. I have this 'blurb' and would love any opinions or suggestions from you guys. Is 2 not 'reasonable'? Should I actually be making it higher? I have a 2 year old in care right now,,, and her mom was one that told me my child 'didn't have to be in ANYthing'... so she's not 'up' or seems to 'care' to be 'up' on things, but i wanna start out 'right' with others

Plus, she's the one wanting a contract 'now' instead of waiting until i'm licensed, so she's gonna get what everyone 'will' get in the future, so I have to make it 'work'.

ADS

mrs_teeee67

-------------Transportation while in care------------
We will run errands and have field trips/activities outside of the daycare home rather frequently. I homeschool my youngest daughter and well will participate in activities related to her schooling as well. Parents will provide appropriate safety restraints for their child for my use in my vehicles.

I am a huge advocate of and believer in "best practice" with child restraint safety, regardless of minimum legal requirements! The legal minimums are not always what has been proven safest for your child. I will have all parents install car seats as needed and provide me with a copy of the user manual (if original is not attached to seat) to ensure that I can check for correct install and adjust is needed.

_________ I will only transport children under the age of 2 in a rear facing position. The ONLY exception to this is if your child has outgrown the weight limits for rear facing in their seat and is unable to fit into an appropriate rear facing alternative seat. I understand this exceeds the 'legal minimum' but it does NOT exceed best practice and child safety is extremely important to me.

__________ Even if you child is 6 years old and/or 60 lbs, I WILL ALWAYS require an appropriate booster when I am transporting your until such time that your child the passes the "5-Step Test" in all available seating in my vehicle.

The 5-Step Test
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

(If you would like or need more information or help determining the best restraint options for your vehicle, budget and needs, I have tons of information and links to connect you to many certified technicians that will happily answer any questions and offer all the help you might need. Just ask! I'll be more than happy to help you find the safest options for your most precious resource.)

These requirements are NOT intended to inconvenience parents in any way; they are to ensure the safety of your child to the fullest extent possible while in my care. They are requirements that I am neither able nor willing to compromise in any way, so please do not ask me to skip/change them in any
way at any time; even for "just a short trip".

(those lil' lines in front are for initials,,, i want it to be 'firm' in their minds)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
My former contract said (paraphrasing) "We will occasionally have the need to take trips in my vehicle. I will provide carseats that are size and age appropriate. For your childs ultimate safety, Infants/Children up to age 2 and approx 30 lbs will be rear-facing. Children approx 2-5, approx 30-50 lbs will be seated forward facing in a harnessed seat. Children older than 5/50 lbs will be in booster seats." I included a handout regarding best practice, and the USAA book, and left it at that. It was simply non negotiable.

You will find that parents do not have appropriate seats, almost always. They will be inappropriate to the child's age (ie, booster for a 2 yr old) used, expired, missing pieces or just nasty. Save yourself the trouble, supply the seats yourself.

BTW, my contract was abt 5 pages, but was thorough - the longer your contract, the less likely people are to read it/remember it/follow it. Be thorough, but be concise.

MomToEliEm

How many children do you expect to be in your care during the day? If parents bring their own seats, will you be able to puzzle all the seat choices to fit in your vehicle. If you will have a few children in your care, you may want to consider purchasing your own seats to use in your vehicle. This way you can be sure the seats install well in your vehicle, are appropriate for the child, and also puzzle well next to other carseats.

mrs_teeee67

Hmmm, hadn't thought about taking on the buying of all the seats myself. Let's see,

I have 2 right now, 2 year old and almost 5 *parents already sent him in a booster and that got nixed quickly*

I have my 7 year old in a Monterey.

I will take on 2 more kids only.

I drive a 2001 Dodge Caravan Sport.. two captains seats in the middle and a back bench

Hmmm, the 2 I have right now are in their own seats, outboard, back bench *for MANY reasons*,, so one more seat could be most anything I guess in the captain's seat,,, whatever else would have to fit on the back bench.

Are there seats that are good but more 'versatile' than others that ya'll could point me towards researching?

mrs_teeee67

I do own a Radian65 that has about 3 more years on it I believe. I was gonna sell it, but that's probably a good one to keep if I go that route

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
"The ONLY exception to this is if your child has outgrown the weight limits for rear facing in their seat and is unable to fit into an appropriate rear facing alternative seat."

What does this mean? If they outgrow the 30lb limit of their convertible seat at 18 mos are YOU supplying a 35/40/45lb rear-facing seat? Or are you requiring them to? What is they outgrow a 35lb seat before 2, will you buy a Radian or MyRide or require them to?

Cryssy Jane

I supply seats for all the kiddos in my daycare. I have 1 keyfit 30, 2 ccos, 1 rn xtsl, 1 ca and 1 TB. 6 seats, I will only have up to 5 kids max as we do go on numerous field trips and I only want to take one vehicle.

My seats are likely to change, however for the kids I have right now they are just fine.
I have:
a 3 month old boy (about 14 lbs), now in the kf, sometimes a cco rf (part time)
a 11 month old girl (18lbs), in a cco rf
a 2 year old boy (30 lbs) rf in a ca (drop in)
a 2 year old boy (32 lbs) rf in a xtsl
a 5.5 year old boy (42 lbs) booster training in the TB

When the little ones outgrow the cco's I'll probably upgrade to ca's since they fit perfectly in the van where as the xtsl only fits rf in one position in the van.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
If you already have a Radian, I'd consider a highback turbo booster and a Scenera, both about $50ish at WM or Target. Then you'd have options for rear facing, older children, boosters, etc. They're both readily available, so I wouldn't buy either until you signed a contract/recieved a deposit from a parent, unless you found a really great sale.

mrs_teeee67

"The ONLY exception to this is if your child has outgrown the weight limits for rear facing in their seat and is unable to fit into an appropriate rear facing alternative seat."

What does this mean? If they outgrow the 30lb limit of their convertible seat at 18 mos are YOU supplying a 35/40/45lb rear-facing seat? Or are you requiring them to? What is they outgrow a 35lb seat before 2, will you buy a Radian or MyRide or require them to?

I knew that wasn't clear as I was writing it,, just couldn't figure out how to word it. I wanted THEM to, but figured we could discuss how long next seat would work for vs cost, etc.. kinda like 'make informed' decisions like we do for our own kids,, guess that's not such a good thing though,, thanks :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For liability reasons, if I was regularly transporting other people's children in my car, I would only use my own seats. You don't know the full history of the seats they'll bring you. :twocents:

mrs_teeee67

If you already have a Radian, I'd consider a highback turbo booster and a Scenera, both about $50ish at WM or Target. Then you'd have options for rear facing, older children, boosters, etc. They're both readily available, so I wouldn't buy either until you signed a contract/recieved a deposit from a parent, unless you found a really great sale.

That sounds like a reasonable solution. I'm wondering if the 5 year old I have right now needs to move outta his seat. I'm not sure about the 'seat/ears' thing on him. I also know half the time they recline him and he isn't supposed to. Sooooooooooo frustrating.

I was just really fearful of installing seats and in the event of some tragedy, being liable somehow. But I HATE when parents install incorrectly,, just want THEM to do it CORRECTLY though lol... guess THAT expectation is too high

Dillipop

Something else to consider- does your car insurance cover transporting the children? Most don't cover vehicle use for business purposes, which your day care is. Also, most liability insurance programs that cover daycare do not cover transportation. You might have to get an additional policy to legally transport the children.

If you can get insurance for the vehicle, then I would provide seats and use the blurb that starlight used. Simple and to the point. The seats your purchase for the daycare would be tax deductible.

Melanie

I know it's an added expense, but I think you will save yourself a lot of headache if you supply the seats. The parent that thinks a booster is fine for their 2 year old will probably think it's fine to give you a used seat. You would ultimately be liable if you had an accident and that seat failed.

I don't think it's feasible to expect (or want) parents to install the car seats. I can understand you logic...you don't want to be liable for the installation. What happens if they install it, but not right? What happens if you need to take the seat out (potty accident, vomit, etc). Will you have the parent go out to your car at pick up time and re-install? I'm sure a mom in a skirt will love that.

On a side note-have you talked to your car insurance company? I know I was able to keep my car on a personal policy because I very rarely transport. You may want to double check with your carrier. You want to make sure everything is right and that your limits are sufficient so you are protected if something should happen.

Cryssy Jane

Something else to consider- does your car insurance cover transporting the children? Most don't cover vehicle use for business purposes, which your day care is. Also, most liability insurance programs that cover daycare do not cover transportation. You might have to get an additional policy to legally transport the children.

If you can get insurance for the vehicle, then I would provide seats and use the blurb that starlight used. Simple and to the point. The seats your purchase for the daycare would be tax deductible.

Forgot about that part. I pay an extra $100 every six months to cover every little speck of anything in my car. It's not that much but that was I'm covered in case of something terrible happening. It really depends on what insurance company you have and what their policy is.

Pixels

If I was you, I would provide my own seats for a couple of reasons. One is puzzling. Another is in most jurisdictions, it is the legal responsibility of the driver to make sure the child is properly restrained. If the parent provides a seat that has been recalled and you don't know it, and that child is injured in a crash as a result, it's your responsibility.

I would also do all the installs myself for the same reason.

The Radian is pretty versatile (newborn to booster age for some kids, narrow and good for 3-across). The Nautilus has high top slots and converts to both backless and high back booster, so it can be whatever you need it to be - FF harness, HBB, backless booster, though it's fairly wide and doesn't play nice with others, so it might be a captains chair only seat. The Scenera is good for newborn to age 3-4ish, decently narrow, and good price tag. The Chase is a decent forward facing harnessed seat to 40 pounds. Turboboosters make good boosters for littler kids, and if you get a high back it can be converted to backless.

Your contract mentions RFing to 2 if possible (and I agree with PP, are you going to make them buy a Radian when they hit 40 pounds in their MyRide? The way it's currently worded, you are requiring that) and using a booster until the child 5-steps. Then later on (not in your contract) you mention that you nixed the idea of an almost-5yo in a booster, but there's nothing in your contract that says a booster isn't appropriate for this child. The parent provided the seat, so what's the problem? Just pointing out that gap in your contract so you can close it.

mrs_teeee67

I did know that I'd have to talk to my insurance guy when I get licensed.

I do like the wording she used. That would make it pretty easy and clear.

I KNEW I count on you folks for good info. :)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
The seats your purchase for the daycare would be tax deductible.

Any seat purchased/used for a daycare child would be tax deductible. Soooo, say you get pregnant. And then a few months later, you sign a contract to take care of an 18 lb 6 month old, and purchase a Keyfit for the daycare baby to use. And the baby does use it. Until he/she turns 20 lbs, a month later. And then, a few months later, you give birth to a new baby, who uses practically new Keyfit. Keyfit is totally 100% tax deductible. Same goes for the swing, exersaucer, highchair, playpen, toy etc that you used for daycare baby.

Start saving your reciepts. :love:

mrs_teeee67

If I was you, I would provide my own seats for a couple of reasons. One is puzzling. Another is in most jurisdictions, it is the legal responsibility of the driver to make sure the child is properly restrained. If the parent provides a seat that has been recalled and you don't know it, and that child is injured in a crash as a result, it's your responsibility.

I would also do all the installs myself for the same reason.

The Radian is pretty versatile (newborn to booster age for some kids, narrow and good for 3-across). The Nautilus has high top slots and converts to both backless and high back booster, so it can be whatever you need it to be - FF harness, HBB, backless booster, though it's fairly wide and doesn't play nice with others, so it might be a captains chair only seat. The Scenera is good for newborn to age 3-4ish, decently narrow, and good price tag. The Chase is a decent forward facing harnessed seat to 40 pounds. Turboboosters make good boosters for littler kids, and if you get a high back it can be converted to backless.

Your contract mentions RFing to 2 if possible (and I agree with PP, are you going to make them buy a Radian when they hit 40 pounds in their MyRide? The way it's currently worded, you are requiring that) and using a booster until the child 5-steps. Then later on (not in your contract) you mention that you nixed the idea of an almost-5yo in a booster, but there's nothing in your contract that says a booster isn't appropriate for this child. The parent provided the seat, so what's the problem? Just pointing out that gap in your contract so you can close it.

All good info, that bold part,, he is a WIGGLE WORM and falls asleep and was hangin' himself *shakes head* I tried, but it was awful. I at one time put my OWN 3 year old in a booster, but I just 'knew' even though the box said she was big enough, that it wasn't 'right'.. she just didn't look safe to me. I think that is a large part of why I was having trouble with this part of my contract. How do I get folks to do 'best' even if not 'required legally'.

I think ya'll are all correct about just getting/having my own seats and then at least with ME, they're as safe as I can get them.

mrs_teeee67

Any seat purchased/used for a daycare child would be tax deductible. Soooo, say you get pregnant. And then a few months later, you sign a contract to take care of an 18 lb 6 month old, and purchase a Keyfit for the daycare baby to use. And the baby does use it. Until he/she turns 20 lbs, a month later. And then, a few months later, you give birth to a new baby, who uses practically new Keyfit. Keyfit is totally 100% tax deductible. Same goes for the swing, exersaucer, highchair, playpen, toy etc that you used for daycare baby.

Start saving your reciepts. :love:

hehe,, that would be nice,, 'cept I'm toooo old for a new baby lol.. but a GRANDBABY, that's another story

I swear, the last puppy I got, I thought I was gonna DIE from sleep deprivation lol Was only probably 3 weeks before she started sleeping thru the night, but it was HARD on Terri *shudders*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC