Pick me out a Radian.

Mae

I'll be buying in June. The seat will be shared among:

Girl - 2.5 yrs - On second to top slots of TF with room to hit the slot - 30 (?)lbs - She'll be my main kiddo in seat.

Girl - 18 mos - Uh, still in SS1, about half an inch to hit the slot - 18 lbs - She'll be second most kid in seat, but still only 1-2 times per month

Boy - 3.5 yrs - Top slots of TF and GN - 43 lbs - Rarely with me.

Boy - 13 mos - Bottom slots of CA - 19 lbs - Rarely with me.

Boy - 24 mos - (FF in mom's TF, Second to top slots) - 37 lbs - Rarely with me.

I'm really diggin' the pretty girl covers, since I will have the girls with me most often, but I also like when my seats match the interior of my car (picture here-- I like how the Aurora TF looks in my car), and I will have boys with me every so often, which is making the Supercool cover stick out (along with the other neutral covers).

So, pick me out a model (65, 80, XT, SL, I don't care! They're all the same! ... right?) and pick me a cover. Don't worry about the cost for now.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is it your only seat? I'd go for an 80SL; has the 45lb RF capacity but no headwings. However, if it's your only seat then you can put it center and the lack of headwings for FFing are less concerning.

I assume all are RFing except the 3.5yo? If you have other FFers than I would get an XT/XTSL.

Coverwise, get what you like. I'm not so familiar with the covers. Flora is one that's girly but not pink, if you like it. (At least I think that's Flora... the green/brown flower one.)

Mae

I'll be giving my TF for my mother, for permanent use here shortly, so yes -- it'll be my only seat. I can always "borrow" my seats back from my mom (GN and TF), but of course there will be times when I wouldn't be able to get them back from her (she's at work, I'm at work, etc).

I like these:

80SL, in Primrose -- Love the GIRL factor. I've never had an all out girl seat, always stayed gender neutral.

80SL, in Sport -- Matches the car, gender neutral.

XTSL, in Nitro -- I'm lovin' the RED. :D And, I think it'd go nicely with my interior.

XTSL, in Eclipse -- Gender neutral, matches car.

XTSL, in Ventura -- Gender neutral, still a bit girly, still a bit boy. I like geometric shapes, too. Oh, and it'd kind of match.

melniemi

I like the Flora - and find it almost more boyish than girly irl. I think I'll be getting my dd a petal cover here shortly though at her request :p

Mae

Just so I know, the only difference between SL's and XTSL's are the headwings, correct?

And all Radians install the same, right?

Just have to be sure! :thumbsup:

I'm going to post this for my own knowledge, just so I can have it on the same page. :p

Think of the 65 as the base model. Nothing wrong with the base model, just has the fewest features (and the lowest price). The 80 has a higher forward facing weight limit (and rear facing weight limit in the case of the SLs) due to being made from a stronger steel alloy in the frame. The XT has the same weight limits as the 80, and adds headwings.

The SL stands for SuperLATCH. Sunshine Kids says that you can use SL up to the carseat's weight limit and disregard your vehicle's weight limit in vehicles manufactured 9/1/05 or later.

65: RFing to 40 pounds (DOM 9/08 or later), FFing 65 pounds
80: RFing to 40 pounds (DOM 9/08 or later), FFing 80 pounds, comes with infant support pillows
XT: RFing to 40 pounds, FFing 80 pounds, comes with infant support pillows

65SL: RFing to 40 pounds, FFing 65 pounds
80SL: RFing to 45 pounds, FFing 80 pounds, comes with infant support pillows
XTSL: RFing to 45 pounds, FFing 80 pounds, comes with infant support pillows

All of the Radian models have the same shell and the same harness slots. They will all be outgrown by height at the same time. Most kids are 55-60 pounds when they outgrow a Radian, so I don't recommend the 80 unless there's a cover you just have to have. Either get the 65, or the XT for the headwings.

The headwings of the XT provide additional side impact protection. But the single biggest thing you can do for side impact protection is to keep your kids rear facing as long as possible. The safety difference between front seat and back seat is about 35%. The safety difference between outboard and center is about 30%. The difference between rear facing and forward facing is about 530% for kids 12-23 months of age (the only age group we have numbers for).

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Just so I know, the only difference between SL's and XTSL's are the headwings, correct?

And all Radians install the same, right?

Just have to be sure! :thumbsup:

I'm going to post this for my own knowledge, just so I can have it on the same page. :p

Thinking you just left the 80 off, but...

The difference between the 80 and the XT is the headwings.

The difference between the 80xtsl and the XTsl is the headwings.

The difference between the 80sl/xtsl and the 80/xt is the rfing limit. Sl's rf to 45#.

emandbri

I'd get nitro or Ventura. I just love the ventrura!

I ordered a floral and an extra ventura cover. That way if I end up putting the radian in Brian's car I will have the ventura to match it.

Mae

emandbri, what did you have today? Or was it munchkin's? Either way, what cover was it? :p

I think I've got it narrowed down.

80SL in Primrose -- Pretty pink! No headwings.
80SL in Sport -- Matches car. No headwings.
XTSL in Eclipse -- Matches car. Headwings.

I really would like the Primrose cover, but, is it worth it to pass the headwings up? The seat will almost always be in center. It will only be outboard if for some strange reason I can't fit another seat next to it, which really, the only seat I'd have next to it is the SS1, which I'm sure will fit.

Which, by the way, the Radian is *perfect* for my car. Seriously, it was designed with my car in mind. :D

cookie123

Nitro - is that the red one - looks way nicer in real life. I saw it today when I was looking at boosters.

Still I'd get Ventura - matches car interior, but not too boring.

Mae

It was a granite. Had such fun today!

Me too! Now that I know how easy the radian was to install, I want to buy it now. I don't want to wait, even though I should. I just need to choose if I want the headwings or not. Then, it'll limit my choices in covers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC