INFO: Cancer causing chemicals found in some baby bath..

MySillyKids

Article:

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/site/apps/nl/content3.asp?c=kwKXLdPaE&b=697605&content_id={5C2FC0E3-7F34-41D0-9410-2909D95D907D}&notoc=1

Hmm i cant get it to link properly, but if you copy/paste you see the article.

Article, and products used for testing:

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/site/pp.asp?c=kwKXLdPaE&b=2483603

We are using the Disney Pixar Cars Piston Cup Bubble Bath (MZB Personal Care) 2.2 ppm For Jake.

And We use Johnson’s Head-to-Toe Baby Wash (Johnson & Johnson) 5.3 ppm to 6.1 ppm for Nathan.

EEK!..

i'm not toooooo worried about it. interesting read tho

ADS

MySillyKids

We use the Cars ones also. its the LOWEST one on the list. 2.2 ppm out of 10. Its much safer than the J&J ones that i used for nathan.

I have the one that comes in an "oil" container. We have both the lightning mcqueen and the mater one.

lovinwaves

Ok, well since we use Johnson & Johnson's, AND Huggies baby wash, I need some replacement recommendations from all you cool mommies on this Forum!!!

Dang, I hate to pitch those, because I really like them :(

LuvBug

we have the one that is a racecar and the butt comes off and you unscrew the cap... is that like the one you have?

MySillyKids

You know i have that one too. i dont know if its in this also. I am reading on another forum, and this is what ive got so far:

"California Baby which is now available at Target is a good brand. However, you can stick with the brands you currently use, just don't use those particular ones. I use huggies, but not the shea butter one. DD used to use Loreal but not the mango one."

"I was under the impression it was only the specific ones listed, so I do use huggies, but it's some mango scented thing, not the shea butter. Check the list and also check the label and make sure it doesn't show that ingredient."

Thats what ive gotten so far. I'm going to DS's therapy in the morning then going to TARGET for some new soap. Ugh.

Honestly the 2.2 isnt that bad.

scatterbunny

:eek: That is scary. I used to buy only organic, all-natural shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, laundry soap...but stopped because it was so much more expensive. I ran across a recipe for homemade laundry soap the other day that I want to try.

scatterbunny

And honestly, even if the levels are supposedly within safe/acceptable amounts, I am NOT okay with it. Supposedly mercury is not in vaccines anymore, but mercury is still used in the manufacture of some vaccines, it is just supposed to be below detectable levels in the finished product. I don't believe for a second that means it isn't enough to affect SOME sensitive folks.

MySillyKids

I agree. I guess i'll just rinse them with plain water until they get their crap figured out LOL!

I think i'll write everything down, and go compare tomorrow when i'm out!

Scary! We buy the L'oreal mango sometimes, but usually stick with Suave. Only the boys use it; the girls and I generally use all-natural/organic products. But the boys like the fruity stuff. I'm glad this one has a lower level of the chemical in it, but I certainly won't buy it again. I'll probably try harder to find a fruity-smelling natural product. Any suggestions? They're older boys (7 & 11), so baby products aren't necessary; just a regular shampoo.

Scatterbunny, for a long time I couldn't affort to pay for these kinds of products in the stores, but I would order them online when they were on sale, or when the site had a free shipping offer, or something that helped save $$. Especially when we've lived overseas. I would buy several of a product so I didn't have to order often, and particularly if an item had a great sale price.

Nowadays, the commissary is carrying more and more organic and all-natural stuff, at very reasonable prices. :D I can get my favorite shampoos-- Nature's Gate myrrh-scented, and Avalon Organics lavender-scented, for $3- or $4-something; almost 1/2 the price as the local stores.

arly1983

My soap is not on the list. We use Baby Aveeno unscented because of Jackson't bad eczema. Does that mean it doesn't contain any?

Tara

I make my own soap... I should start looking for a homemade bubblebath recipe.

I make my own too. Well, did, til I ran out of lye. But I still have some soap left in my stash ;)
My littles use Dr. Bronner's right now. Er, actually, my eldest and the youngest 2, the other two just use soap. I had to try Dr.B's on my eldest to see if it affected his eczema/dry patches any. Up til now he's been using my soap as well.

southpawboston

i'm a fan of dr. bronner's soaps as well. they're mostly natural, but i don't know if they're certified organic. unless it's certified organic, there's no real way to know what kind of chemical traces there are.

LuvBug

yeah we have eczema issues too, especially me! which is why I make my own soap.
Right now I have a batch of honey oatmeal with lanolin that Im using. I gave it as gifts for christmas to my sis and cousin and they loved it! My cousin said her DF took it over and she needs more lol! And sis said DN took hers over.
Only the smell of cooking honey made me sick to my stomach... so I probably wont do it again. Its fine once it cools but the cooking it was weird!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I have been trying to use more natural cleaners and laundry detergent (with no fillers & extra stuff) in my home, but this is one area I forgot about! I just bought HUGGIES wash to use as bubble bath because I didn't like the bubble bath choices on the shelf. And I had bought him the Lightening McQueen race car bubble bath before Christmas! Guess I will now be looking for something else!

Anyone have any suggestions for bubble bath/body wash?

Melissa for soap I use baby DOVE for DS and I just bought him L'oreal for kids smoothie scented orange/mango! Guess I will be looking for a different shampoo as well!

steph

I use johnsons and johnsons shea w/cocoa butter but it isn't head to toe so is it okay???? Is it only those specific to those scents/smells???

Also I was thinking that when I was pregnant I came across this website and so many products have bad things in them, like eyeshadow, lipstick etc. I try to pic the better things but almost everything has something bad in it and I'm not ready to go au natural!! LOL

Here is the website but I warn you it may start to freak you out!
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/search.php?main_cat=COLOR+COSMETICS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC