Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Best convertables for young infants with severe reflux

Hello, new here.

My 8 1/2 week old daugher has a very bad case of reflux. My son also did, and by the time we figured out the infant car seat was the reasons for constant screaming in the car, he fit into a Britax Boulevard (all screaming instantly stopped).

So, while I know she would likely be better in the Boulevard, she is not going to fit into it right now, she's at least an inch away.

In about 3 weeks she's going to be in the car twice every day as I go back to work and I am deciding whether we should buy a different convertable seat or just deal with screaming until she fits in the boulevard (she is currently in a Snugride, horrible for refluxers). Before buying, I was hoping to hear from some parents who've dealt with this.

Do any of you have experience with reflux babies and the convertables currently available on the market? If so, I would be appreciative if you could share your thoughts.

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Best convertables for young infants with severe reflux

not sure about the reflus part, but the scenera does fit newbies well. since you already have a Britax Boulevard I would just get an inexpensive one that could also be a back up seat after the baby fits in the the Boulevard well.
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the Scenera holds reflux babies well? Maybe all convertables are good in that respect, meaning, they have pretty straight backs?

The reason the Snugride is so bad is the way it sort of cups her bottom and back, almost hammock-like, causing her a lot of pain.

The Scenera has a nice straight back, and the crotch strap has a position nice and close to the back, to keep her from sliding down and slouching. The Radian also is nice and straight. Stay away from the Evenflo Triumph Advance. I'm not very familiar with a lot of the other seats, so I can't really say one way or another.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Great, thanks! Sounds like the Scenera would be good. And it does seem pretty reasonably priced.

We actually have a Radian 65, we are ordering a replacement base (was never used RF before and no clue where we put the base). I've read of problems getting it to fit RF in some vehicles outboard, we have a 2006 Honda CR-V and it would need to fit passenger side, with someone still able to ride up front. A Frontier is driver side and there is not enough room center. If we can't get it to fit (or hold her well), the Scenera looks like it will work.
    Last edited by Chiisai; 04-08-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: adding info

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Most Dorel seats will install fairly upright, but the Scenera is the only one that will fit a very small baby (the Avenue might fit a larger baby).
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Thanks, chickabiddy. She is pretty tiny, 21 inches long, 9 1/2 pounds (as of a doc appt this last Monday).

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Yeah, it's not likely that an Avenue would work, sorry. (And definitely a 3-in-1 or Complete Air wouldn't.)
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

How is her head control? DD is in a SafeSeat and has reflux. Once we could make her's more upright, she did a bit better.
    Jamii ~ CPST ~ Foster Mom
    DS1 / 14 / Seatbelt * DS2 / 11 / Seatblet * DD / 8 / Spectrum and Rodifix * And a RF Headwise for Tiny

Her head control is "meh" but getting better. Yeah, can't wait til she can be more upright!