Which is worse?

fyrfightermomma

My best friend has two kids-ages 6 and 3. The 6 year old went to a HBB around age 3 and 30 lbs. Then she met me :love: While she doesn't "believe" the car seat hype she said she's too afraid to do that with her son now that she knows me LOL. She says it in good fun, but does sort of mean it. She kept her son, now 3 1/2 in a Scenera instead of a booster at 3 after asking me about it and I told her he needed to be 4 and 40(or close to it). Thats when she told me about her DD and doing it at 30 lbs.

Anyways, we had a playdate yesterday and I finally saw her son in the Scenera and he's outgrown it by height. He's a smidge above the top slots. He will be 4 in July and is about 31-32 lbs. He is extremely impulsive and is just all "boy". Just hyper crazy running around, never sits still etc. I didn't say anything about the seat being outgrown cause I know she'll put him in a booster probably and there is no way in high heaven this kid could sit still in a booster.

However, she recently left her husband, only works part time, and isn't getting any support from her soon to be ex husband (haven't filed for divorce yet). She barely lives paycheck to paycheck and I know there is no way she'll buy another seat for him. I think she just intended to keep him in the Scenera until he was 4 regardless of weight, and then get the cheapest high back she could (her daughter has an evenflo big kid that is absolutely falling apart).

I have no seat to give her, either harnessed or booster otherwise I would. She had been borrowing our Marathon for the babysitter when she works, but now I am giving that to my niece next week (whole nother story in itself!)

So I have nothing to give her. I can't afford to buy her anything. She can't afford to buy anything. I don't know what to do.

The kid either sits in an outgrown Scenera, or I mention it's outgrown and a highly impulsive little 3 year old goes in a majorly cheap HBB that probably won't fit well.

I know the kid is in an older Touriva in his dad's car but I don't know if the slots are higher or lower than the Scenera. I always laugh when she says she's mad that dad got the "good comfy expensive" carseat and she has hers. That Touriva is an old gross mess.

*sigh*. So which is worse in her case? Man, I wish I could help her. She literally has no money. Honestly, now that I think about it, I don't even know how she'd buy a HBB at this point even if she wanted to.

I do have a bright pink TB I'm not using cause E will use the Vivo instead, but do I do that when not only is it not safe, but isn't legal in our state?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Suxor, but the booster would be the better of the two options. At least in terms of shoulder height. I'd maybe call Dorel and talk to them about shoulders over the top slots, but otherwise it's booster time if that's all that's available and fits (man, has the earth turned upside down? In another post today I recommended forward facing an eight month old).

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Sometimes you have to look at the risks and decide which one is worse.

Shoulders over the top slot= possible disk compression

3 year old refusing to stay in booster= ejection

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The booster is the only legal option and I would tell the parent that, but personally, I would probably choose to use the Scenera a "smidge" above the top slots for a child that age/size/wiggliness. 2" and 5# over? No way. 1/4" over and well within the weight limits? Sigh. Yeah, I think so.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are there any agencies in your area that distribute HWH seats?

If not, maybe she could get on the KDM list and booster in the mean time?

Qarin

The booster is the only legal option and I would tell the parent that, but personally, I would probably choose to use the Scenera a "smidge" above the top slots for a child that age/size/wiggliness. 2" and 5# over? No way. 1/4" over and well within the weight limits? Sigh. Yeah, I think so.

Yeah, teach him to slouch.

I don't suppose there's an inch above his head...

fyrfightermomma

But it's not legal in our state. We are a 40 AND 40 state :( and being a tech, do I give her my only booster even though it's not legal to use in this state?

fyrfightermomma

If she went to a Safe Kids check up, what would happen?

I do checks with our local safe kids. They don't distribute free seats, just low cost seats, which would be about the same as her going to buy a cheap booster herself. Plus our first safe kids check isn't until June I think

fyrfightermomma

Yeah, teach him to slouch.

I don't suppose there's an inch above his head...

LOL, no. I've thought about it, and for now since he's really close and may even be "at" if the cover doesn't line up, I don't think I'm gonna say anything right now. Each time I see him, I'll just see how far over he is. When it looks like it's more than a "smidge" I'll probably just give her my TB, pink and all LOL. That may take until July when his bday is so maybe we'll get lucky and he'll actually be 4

But then she'd probably give the pink seat to her 6 year old and stick the 3 year old in the gender neutral nasty falling apart Evenflo big kid the 6 year old has. Do those fit little kids good? Or maybe I should dig up a spare cover somewhere so she doesn't think to give her daughter it instead. He'd probably be better off in the TB cause of the wings (not huge, but more than the big kid has!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC