Safe ways to travel with extra seats.

swtgi1982

I will be needing to travel about an hour drive with all three kids and three extra seats (their seats for In Laws car) Spacing wise I may be able to properly install one of them, but the other two would not fit anywhere on a seat. any ideas on how to safely travel with them? Is a bungee cord enough to tie them down for safe travel? They would likely be on the floor of the van lying down behind the backside of a RF car seat.

Any other ideas as this is something that need to be done but want to do it safely. cargo area of van is not large enough to secure any of them.

Actually if DH is driving his own vehicle, then I could put one more installed in the front seat (unused obviously). Three will merely not fit in the third row. Also transport in DH vehicle not possible as kids bikes are in there and all seat will have a car seat or luggage to big to fit in my van in it.

ADS

steph_s

I had this same issue before. I ended up putting the seats back parts under the 3rd row seats and using cords through the seat belt paths of the seats to attach to the bottom of the vehicle seat. Those suckers didn't budge the entire 3 hour trip. Might also be because they were side by side and didn't have much wiggle room to slide around at all. The way I had them in there they couldn't slide backwards (except for the middle one) because they would hit the middle row seats.

swtgi1982

I had this same issue before. I ended up putting the seats back parts under the 3rd row seats and using cords through the seat belt paths of the seats to attach to the bottom of the vehicle seat. Those suckers didn't budge the entire 3 hour trip. Might also be because they were side by side and didn't have much wiggle room to slide around at all. The way I had them in there they couldn't slide backwards (except for the middle one) because they would hit the middle row seats.

none of them are boosters and none of them come apart. the seats in question are two sceneras and a cosco HBB (yes DD still just barely fits in it, hoping it will last a little longer, but it ok still for now)

thinking of sliding the backs under the seats so the seat area is the only part sticking out and strapping through FF belt path to affix them to the seat

steph_s

That is what I did, just put the back part of the seat under (bottom of seat sticking out) and took 2 super small bungie cords and put them through the belt paths so they were tight and wrapped those cords around the bottom of the 3rd row seat. Guess I didn't explain that well. I did it with a radian, avenue and one of those stupid 3 in 1 seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC