Picky Eaters

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Aleah started solids last month...and the only thing the child will eat is bananas. I have tried carrots, peas, potatoes, peaches...everything...she just doesnt want it. I tried the whole "giving the food she doesnt like as her first bite for 10 days"...doesnt work...any suggestions? i know she will be okay exclusively nursing until she is around 12 months, but i dont want 12 months to come around and shes still only eating bananas.

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
With Jackson and Camille I make homemade baby food. No joke, after having the homemade neither one of them would touch the jar. I got a BabyFresh kit and it really is very easy (cheap, healthy). Anyway here is a link to the kit on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Baby-Easy-Food-Kit/dp/B000GUSE5W/sr=1-2/qid=1172107235/ref=sr_1_2/104-8961838-3395963?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products All you need is a blender, food processor, and this cookbook.

i do homemade too...she has never had jarred:)

arly1983

well, that is odd. you might have a REALLY picky eater. Have you tried mixing the bananas with something else?

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
well, that is odd. you might have a REALLY picky eater. Have you tried mixing the bananas with something else?

yep...i am wondering if maybe it is a consistency issue with her. she has reflux... but i dont know...

skaterbabs

Actually, at only 7 mos it's not unusual at all. I wouldn't worry that you're destined for a picky eater.
There is some research, however, that shows that kids who refuse certain foods as babies are often sensitive or allergic to those foods.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Actually, at only 7 mos it's not unusual at all. I wouldn't worry that you're destined for a picky eater.
There is some research, however, that shows that kids who refuse certain foods as babies are often sensitive or allergic to those foods.

i try not to push them too hard. she does have super sensitive skin (were down to absolute plain ivory soap, or she breaks out in hives everywhere) so maybe this could be the problem. her dad is allergic to sulfites (shellfish and a few other thigns). What should I do in this case then? She will be seeing a nutritionist through a program for her physical therapy for her torticollis (at my request) but that wont be for another few weeks. just wondering if anyone else had these problems...

skaterbabs

I would suggest following her lead. If she refuses a food, don't offer it again until she's older. Especially since there's a family history of food allergies.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Okay, I don't know really anything about food allergies as we don't have any. I was extremely and still am careful about what DS eats and potental food allergies. But here is my thought/advice and you can take it with a grain of salt or for whatever you want. I have found some babies are picky about textures, I bought (silly me) banana baby food and ds would not eat a real banana after that because of the texture. So maybe that is what she doesn't like.
Have you ever tried a fresh food feeder or a safe feeder?
mun43101.jpg
You could put whatever food you want, say pees and she could chew on it herself. If she wants it she can help herself and if she doesn't you aren't forcing her!

I used one like this for cherries! It was also great for freezing yogurt in and letting ds chew on it while teething! <--- I even put a ice cube in it for teething purposes :) and there is no choking problems, although I would never leave a baby alone with it.

Picture is a munchkin fresh food feeder, cheap just a couple of $

Last edited:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Okay, I don't know really anything about food allergies as we don't have any. I was extremely and still am careful about what DS eats and potental food allergies. But here is my thought/advice and you can take it with a grain of salt or for whatever you want. I have found some babies are picky about textures, I bought (silly me) banana baby food and ds would not eat a real banana after that because of the texture. So maybe that is what she doesn't like.
Have you ever tried a fresh food feeder or a safe feeder?
mun43101.jpg
You could put whatever food you want, say pees and she could chew on it herself. If she wants it she can help herself and if she doesn't you aren't forcing her!

I used one like this for cherries! It was also great for freezing yogurt in and letting ds chew on it while teething! <--- I even put a ice cube in it for teething purposes :) and there is no choking problems, although I would never leave a baby alone with it.

actually... i want one...but keep forgetting to order one.... know where i can get it cheapest?

Mumoflittleguys

::nod:: Yep. There's still plenty of time for her to develop her tastes. My kids don't really start solids until closer to 10 months. DH has life-threatening food allergies, so if the kids flat-out refuse to eat something, we don't push it.

LuvBug

oh I LOVED our mesh feeders! we had the munchkin one, but also a *I think* safety 1st or something similar. It was white with a green screw on ring and that was the company's colors too... probably not safety 1st...

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
oh I LOVED our mesh feeders! we had the munchkin one, but also a *I think* safety 1st or something similar. It was white with a green screw on ring and that was the company's colors too... probably not safety 1st...

lol sounds like one step head

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC