New Combi locking clip??

Mommy0608

So what's the scoop? I've seen it mentioned a few times briefly on the forums. What is it, how does it work, and what does it look like? I think I read that it comes with the Coccoro now... anyone have a picture of it? Since it's a locking clip, I assume it's rather universal right? If so, I might need to grab a few of these when they become available for seat checks. Thanks! :D

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There are probably photos, but I can't look right now.

Basically it's a plastic clip, sort of like a chip clip, but it clamps closed on one side. It clamps over the shoulder belt, then slides down until it touches the latchplate. It will slide down but not up (unless it's been put on wrong, but there are arrows). It sort of creates a locking latchplate.

I think I read that Combi isn't approving it for use with other brands (someone correct me), and other companies might consider it an aftermarket, unapproved product. But if you think of it as a locking clip for the CAR rather than the car seat, what's the difference?

Laurette

The post I read mentioned that Combi said it could be used with other seats. I guess we'll find out.

I love that locking clip! It's really cool for use with the Coccoro becaue of the open arms of that seat. But I have a hard time invisioning how it would work with traditional closed belt paths.

You can find a pic at the carseat blog. http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rf-lock-off.jpg

Here's a pic of it in use. http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rf-seatbelt.jpg You're suposed to place it on a single layer of the belt, the sholder portion only. I just think it might be difficult with a traditional seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Combi is selling for use with other seats, but will not test with other brands of seats. However since it really is a locking clip, just a different kind, I see no reason not to use it with other brands.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Combi is selling for use with other seats, but will not test with other brands of seats. However since it really is a locking clip, just a different kind, I see no reason not to use it with other brands.

Yes, it will be coming out soon to use as you wish. It's not a traditional locking clip though which are universal and I'm assuming have been tested by all manufacturers, so I'm not sure I can use this on other seats no matter how easy it is at this point. I'm having internal tech issues right now about how we can tell parents to ignore this part of the manual and use this product but not this product etc. I'm sure I'm overthinking b/c most parents are so clueless that I see that they wouldn't buy this product anyways I don't think.

Mommy0608

Thanks for the help everyone. :thumbsup: I was just thinking it might be nice to have one or two on hand, incase a parent has a lot of trouble properly using a standard locking clip.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, I'm pretty sure I misread/misinterpreted whatever I read that caused me to come away with the impression that they weren't allowing it for other seats. At the time I read it, I even remember thinking, "huh?"

I'm not sure if it matters that other companies haven't tested it. It locks the seatbelt, and really has nothing to do with the particular seat. I understand being hesitant from an "it didn't come with the seat" perspective, but from a technical standpoint, what difference could it make? (That's not rhetorical; I'm really wondering because I'm sure there's something I haven't thought of.)

Mommy0608

I don't see how it could matter either, since it's locking the seat belt, and has nothing to do with the particular car seat, like you said.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yes, but what happens when said parent uses it wrong or it fails and causes harm to a child not in a Combi seat? What will Graco say when you try to sue them for medical bills and you tell them you were using a non-standard lc w/ the seat?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They could say the same thing if you were misusing a traditional locking clip that was the Evenflo brand. Or even misusing their own. :shrug-shoulders: It's not like the Mighty Tite that could damage the belt. And I think in some circumstances it would be much easier to use than a traditional locking clip (oh, to use one with a Peg Perego seat!!!)

There are also aftermarket products that go in the seat that really don't interfere with the harness at all (head supports that just go on the side of the head, substitutes for rolled blankets; stuff like that.) They should be evaluated on a case by case basis. Yes, we should inform parents that these products are not OFFICIALLY approved by the manufacturer. However, some of them are more equal than others, and will not cause harm, KWIM?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC