My Perfect 3 Across!

MOM25BOYS

My search is now over for that perfect 3 across that I needed on my 3rd row bench seat. :love::love:

I wish I had tried this combination before my looooong endeavors to find the perfect boosters to use with a RN in the center that would allow ease of access to the buckles. :rolleyes: I now have a SKJP suv with 2 Monterey's and 2 RN's. :whistle:

Well here it is and I LOVE it! :love: This is in the 3rd row seat of a 2004 Ford Expedition. I measured the seat width at 49" and there is actually 50" from side to side since the bench has a tiny gap on both sides. The boys have approx. 2.5" between each of their seats to allow even my husbands wide hands to fit and buckle them. :thumbsup: I was really going for getting enough space that the boys could buckle themselves and after trying it tonight both boys could do it easily. :)

Previously they were in Vivo's and I could barely get my skinny hands between the seats to buckle and the boys couldn't do it at all.

001-4-1.jpg

006-2-1.jpg

003-4-1.jpg

004-4-1.jpg

005-4-1.jpg

ADS

lovinwaves

You know...I just got a Monterey today for my 3 across in my 2005 HOnda Odyssey van second row, and I must say it is WAY easier to buckle in than the Turbo Booster there. It's weird, it just allows more hand room or something :confused: Oh, and I have Radians on each side

The Monterey isn't as big as I thought it was going to be. It's pretty narrow at the base, but gets much wider up top.

So glad you found a solution, and woo wee it looks good :D

Twinklefae

A solid 3 across is one of the best feelings out there! Looks good. It's very interesting about the Monterey - how wide is it at the base?

MOM25BOYS

Thanks everyone and I was super excited they fit so well together too. :D I was worried it wouldn't work since all 3 seats are wider at the tops and more narrow at the bottoms. I was more concerned of the RN not fitting between the 2 Monterey's, but it is a beautiful fit. :love:

I am curious though if the RNXT I have would fit with those head wings so I may try that later this week. :whistle:

Kat_Momof3

WOW... I never would have guessed it would work in a million years (and I definitely don't think your boys will fight over which one is which... I certainly can't tell a difference between Montereys)

I honestly would have thought the Vivo would work better for 3-across.

Ah, well... must have to do with where the belt guide is and the shape of the lower portion.

I can't get over how well they puzzle together in that vehicle!

MOM25BOYS

A solid 3 across is one of the best feelings out there! Looks good. It's very interesting about the Monterey - how wide is it at the base?

I got 14.5" just measuring across the front of the seat. If you account for the cupholders that stick out a bit it would be more like 15". ;)

jesster

This is great! Thanks so much for the pictures. We got a Monterey last week and LOVE it.

...I must say it is WAY easier to buckle in than the Turbo Booster there. It's weird, it just allows more hand room or something ...

ITA! We are really enjoying the Monterey compared the TB. Although my fav change (compared to the TB) is how the seat belt *stays* in place at the shoulder (DS would always manage to pop it out in the TB and couldn't thread it back through by himself).

oxeye

Wow! I never would have guessed that would work!

I wonder if I might want to try a Monterey in DH's car once DD outgrows the XT (planning way ahead here!). How narrow it is at the bottom makes me think I could probably do Monterey, RF Radian, FF Radian.

Laurette

I don't see why a XT wouldn't fit in the place of a regular Radian. The headwings nestle inside the outter lip of the seat itself.

MOM25BOYS

I am curious too. Cause I think a red RNXT would look awesome in there!

The Rio is a little darker red than the Monterey's are, but I will post a pic of them together when I get out today to try it out. :)

Is that 49 inches?

Yes, 49 inches from one end of the seat to the other and 50 inches from one side to the other. :thumbsup:

I don't see why a XT wouldn't fit in the place of a regular Radian. The headwings nestle inside the outter lip of the seat itself.

You know what that is soooo true. ;) :eek: I was thinking the wings on the XT stuck out to the sides a little and they would bump into the wings of the Monterey. I guess now I see that is should work since like you said the wings are nestled inside. :thumbsup:

monstah

:love: It looks SO much better in your 3 across than it did sitting lonely in my closet, that's a happy Radian! :p Isn't SSK on Facebook? I bet they would like that picture.

MOM25BOYS

:love: It looks SO much better in your 3 across than it did sitting lonely in my closet, that's a happy Radian! :p Isn't SSK on Facebook? I bet they would like that picture.

Lol, it won't get lonely here! :p Yes, they are and I am a fan of theirs! :thumbsup:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I have been coming back to look at your picture over and over again today and then I went out and measured the back seat of my van. I have 48" side to side. I wonder if it would work? Right now the only thing I have been able to fit that is buckle-able is an old style PW. I can fit PW SG, RN, PW if I really wedge them in, but then the SG is impossible to buckle. I wonder if the Monterey would work there? Hmmm.... I might have to order one just to see.

MOM25BOYS

I have been coming back to look at your picture over and over again today and then I went out and measured the back seat of my van. I have 48" side to side. I wonder if it would work? Right now the only thing I have been able to fit that is buckle-able is an old style PW. I can fit PW SG, RN, PW if I really wedge them in, but then the SG is impossible to buckle. I wonder if the Monterey would work there? Hmmm.... I might have to order one just to see.

You know I think it all has to do with how the base of the seats form around eachother and that's what makes the Monterey's and the RN mesh. :thumbsup: The base on my Vivo's was not curvy and kinda wide so that made it bump closer to the RN and darn near impossible to buckle a booster. When I tried it with the old style PW they were too curvy in the front and didn't mesh well with the RN center. Same for the Turbo and the Compass B510's I had. I have tried most of the boosters I could get my hands on and the Monterey's by far have surprised me by playing so well together. :whistle: :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC