Aftermarket Covers

veggiegirl228

This question is asked on another board:

"Does anyone have a carseat cover that goes over their LO's carseat? If so, where did you get it?

We live in the Southern California desert where it gets up into the 100's in the summer. And ryan's car seat - Evenflo Triump - stupidly has leather(I am sure it is faux leather of some sort) on the sides of it, so it gets really really hot. I would like to have a car seat cover made to go over his car seat (and Henrys too - a Graco Nautilus) to avoid him burning his leg/hand every time we get in. I looked on Etsy and Hyena with out much luck.

Anyone have any suggestions or links? Thanks "

I know it's not recommended but help me back it up.

ADS

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
In every car seat's manual it says that you shouldn't use any after market products. That would include a cover that wasn't made by the company for that particular seat. I would look at the Triumph's manual online and find the page and show it to her (or post it).

Pixels

Reasons not to use an aftermarket cover:
Slots not lining up. Can cause hidden slack in the harness, which may lead to your child being ejected in a crash.
Cover not covering the seat properly. The cover has to block access to things the child shouldn't reach, such as the foam underneath.
Cover not being properly fire resistant.
Cover being too padded or not padded enough. May change the crash dynamics, leading to child injury or ejection.

The best solution to hot seats is to keep a light colored towel in the car and use it to cover the seat when the car is parked. When you get to the car, open the windows and let it air out for a few minutes before getting in and taking the towels off the seats.

If the faux leather in particular is a problem, you can get a replacement cover directly from Evenflo.

skitle1802

Buy a cheap white fitted crib sheet, the Circo brand from target are nice. And cover the seat whenever it is parked. Then when you get in, stuff it between the seats and place it back over the seat when you get back out. That way the upholstry on the seat and the buckles don't get hot from the sun beating through the window.

It reduces fabric fading if you have un-tinted windows too.

Laurette

I also found a carseat cover that is similar to a window shade that you put up when you park. You just place it over the seat after you get the kiddo out and take it off before you put the child back in the seat.

msg221

As the PP said, you can buy covers for the seat. I bought one that are made of some silver heat reflective material. A definite must driving around in Phoenix, where it is 110+ degrees most days during the summer. Sometimes, when I remember, I have even frozen some of those "blue ice" blocks, taken them with me when I leave the house and then put them in the seat while I'm out so the seat is cool when I put the babies back in! Especially good for the buckles, which I am always worried about burning the babies with when I strap them in.

4boysmom

yeah I think there is a good chance the poster is refering to a custom made "slip cover" type thing that goes over an unoccupied seat vs just tossing a blanket over it while unoccupied. Me personally I'd probably just use the blanket vs dealing with more "stuff" in the van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC