new here- child seat in classic trucks?

hildare

Hi! We have a 1978 extended ford f250. Seatbelts are only in the front bench seats. Not planning on putting the child in the back.
Does anyone have recommendations for a car seat (convertible rear facing at the moment) that will work with such a beast? Anything to add about safety needs- locks, top tethers, etc?

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

I would go and see what will properly fit if your able to. I know Babies R Us will let you take the seats to your vehicles and try them out, same with some baby botiques.

What is the weight, height and torso height (if you know) of your child? I know them some people maybe able to chime in on what they have and what will work.

Maedze

Welcome to C-S.org :)

The first thing we need to know is what kind of seatbelts you have in that vehicle.

You should seriously consider having them replaced if you have not done so all ready. Seatbelts really aren't meant to last and work well for 30+ years.

If you are unable to replace the seatbelts, I would strongly recommend not using that vehicle to transport a child.

hildare

hi-- the child in question is around 18 lbs and (not positive, the last well baby visit was a while back) 27 inches tall (??).
the truck is in awesome shape, wasn't ever driven much, belts are new in appearance and in good working order.

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
What kind of seatbelts are in the truck?

My DH just had a 1972 Ford F100 restored. It was in great shape too only about 70,000 actual miles and just needed a paint job and new seat cover. It has some really funky seatbelts in it. They are lapbelts with a retractor on the 'male' side that extends about 1 foot and a locking latchplate on the female side. (These belts are being replaced with 3 point belts ASAP.) The lap/shoulder belt was an option for the '72s, so it may have been standard by '78. We have a catalog/website for Ford truck replacement parts that sells seat belts. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Maedze

Please do describe the style of belt, that will have a significant impact on 'best' choice for your vehicle :)

hildare

I've only ridden in it once, and don't want to sound dumb.. but, they seemed like regular belts- not lap-only belts, and the shoulder and lap belt were connected/ combined all in one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC