WTH! I can't believe my eyes

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Someone posted the link to this article and I have to say I'm speechless in so many levels and at both the writer and Littlefield.

http://thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2518903

--------
ETA: to read the entire article, please go to the link at the top. I'm editing the column out just to avoid potential copyright issue, eventhough the column is published in a public domain and without any copyright indicator.

Last edited:
ADS

Shanora

He also says that as long as you follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer, it is no safer or less safe to have a child rear-facing versus forward facing.

:eek: :thumbsdown:

Kat_Momof3

so many errors... so much misinformation when sometimes the point he was making was right... and so many more just... I don't know what word to use for it.

please... those of you that are techs... start calling the author and the guy in question.

sparkyd

Unfortunately the comments section is already closed. Crazy since the article is only 2 days old. One person got some comments in there.

msg221

Yikes! Aside from all of the incorrect information in the article, I can't believe the attitude of the writer about totally passing off the responsibility of installing your own child's car seat to someone else without any interest at all in also learning how to do it. When I knew that I'd be taking my godchildren for weekend visits on a regular basis, I had no problem buying car seats to use in my vehicle AND learning how to install them properly.

mommycat

Ouch. :( Like PPs said, much of the info is good and then the rest is just not. And yes, what a sad way to take all responsibility off the parent. It sounds like he is running an install service there. Wonder if it's really like that or just the author's take on it?

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
:jaw: Fail... epic fail.

Is the role of techs in Canada to install, not educate? And do the laws of physics, and the benefits of ERF fail to cross the border?

ETA: And, oh yeah, does the AO miraculously become a good booster when taken north?!

jess71903

Ambassador
Another good opportunity, wasted!!! I hope that Canadian techs, especially, will lock this guys email inbox up with the correct info! I really can't fault the reporter if she sees this guy as the expert and he's giving out such horrid info.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yikes! Aside from all of the incorrect information in the article, I can't believe the attitude of the writer about totally passing off the responsibility of installing your own child's car seat to someone else without any interest at all in also learning how to do it. When I knew that I'd be taking my godchildren for weekend visits on a regular basis, I had no problem buying car seats to use in my vehicle AND learning how to install them properly.

I think the author's intent was to promote the service of the unit (sounds like she has a relationship with the unit and techs there). Fine with me, but that made the wrong message the way she wrote it, as you have pointed. It would have been better if she made it so that there was help available if a parent is in need.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC